Haliburton - USA Basketball's U19 Tryouts

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I searched and didn't find a thread related to the USA Basketball's U19 tryout Tyrese is currently trying out for in Colorado. Mods feel free to merge is there is one.

Haliburton appears to be playing well so far and making a case for the team.

Based on a not so large sample size of of one workout, it looked to me that the fiercest competition to make the team will come at the point guard spot. By nature of college experience, guys like Iowa State's Tyrese Haliburton, Alabama's Kira Lewis, Baylor's Jared Butler and possibly even Oklahoma State's Isaac Likekele (if they want to try him at point) have a little bit of a leg up on the competition.

But, five-star Sharife Cooper, five-star Jalen Suggs, top 35 Caleb Love and 2020's No. 2 ranked player Cade Cunningham all look to have legitimate shots at making the team.

Cooper impressed with his quickness, shifty ability to create off the dribble and lack of fear against bigger and stronger players. Suggs is physically capable of hanging with the older guys and can score around the rim as well as any of the high school guys. Love has been a work in progress over the last year making the move from shooting to point guard and he looked comfortable playing both spots on Saturday. Also surprising was that he wasn't as far behind the curve from a strength standpoint as I might have expected. Cunningham, well Cunningham looked like he has all spring. Confident, tough, poised and skilled and always making the right call on both defense and offense.

As for the college guys, I loved Haliburton's ability to read the floor. Lewis is incredibly quick and still surprisingly thin but doesn't back down from anybody. Butler is a tough shot maker with strength while Likelele competes on every possession and has all kinds of leadership qualities.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/usab-u19-tryouts-bossi-s-saturday-takeaways

Tyrese should know tomorrow if he made the team

The training camp will be used to determine the official, 12-member roster for the 2019 USA Basketball Men’s U19 World Cup Team, which will be selected by the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Committee.

Finalists for the team are expected to be announced on the morning of June 18, and the team will be named prior to its departure for the 2019 FIBA World Cup in Greece on June 24. The FIBA U19 World Cup will take place June 29-July 7 in Heraklion, Greece. Athletes eligible for this team must be U.S. citizens born on or after Jan. 1, 2000.
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/06/mu19-training-camp-roster-updated.aspx

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Iowa State representing.

@Andrew__Slater Oklahoma State, Alabama, Arizona, Georgetown, Iowa, Marquette, Memphis, Minnesota, North Carolina, Ole Miss, Oregon, Stanford, Texas, USC, Vanderbilt, Villanova, Kentucky, Iowa St & Baylor among those at USAB U-19 trials , per versatile source

(and for some reason EIU too?)

Reactions: CyTwins

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Iowa State representing.

@Andrew__Slater Oklahoma State, Alabama, Arizona, Georgetown, Iowa, Marquette, Memphis, Minnesota, North Carolina, Ole Miss, Oregon, Stanford, Texas, USC, Vanderbilt, Villanova, Kentucky, Iowa St & Baylor among those at USAB U-19 trials , per versatile source

(and for some reason EIU too?)
Every team that is north of us (and Iowa) on that list is there for Jalen Suggs

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I hope TH likes Greek food - don't want him to stop putting on the lbs this summer!!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron