DC is picking new Batman

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Wait. There were actors in Suicide Squad besides Margot Robbie and Carla Delevingne?

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I really liked Ben Affleck in the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman. He got a bad rap because the script and direction in those movies were awful.

Affleck was doomed with the die hards because of how awful Daredevil was, had he not done that movie, there wouldn't have been as much negativity around his casting.

I'm in the crowd that thought he was a great Bruce Wayne, Batman...eh. I grew up with the Keaton movies, they are still really solid, the Dark Knight movies are great, they just aren't even really the same genre as Keaton's films.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Affleck was doomed with the die hards because of how awful Daredevil was, had he not done that movie, there wouldn't have been as much negativity around his casting.

I'm in the crowd that thought he was a great Bruce Wayne, Batman...eh. I grew up with the Keaton movies, they are still really solid, the Dark Knight movies are great, they just aren't even really the same genre as Keaton's films.
I know what you mean but when you say "Keaton movies" and "Keaton's films" my brain immediately goes here:

giphy.gif

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO

Trying to compare 1989 Batman with anything is near impossible. This was prior to people really expecting anything out of a superhero movie. There’s hardly any action in it, mainly because Keaton could barely move in that bat suit. The world building that movie created is straight up amazing though. The futuristic noir atmosphere of that movie influenced Batman for over 25 years.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
LEGO Batman is the best Batman.

MixedVagueBluefish-small.gif

A while back my kid was watching something on NetFlix or Amazon Prime that involved LEGO Batman, and I quite enjoyed the LEGO Batman character. There was one scene where LEGO Batman and some other dude are trapped in a dungeon, and the dude is freaking out about how to get out. So, Batman speaks a clever quip about always having the proper tools and whips the orange LEGO block separating tool (which is about as tall as Batman is-and also quite handy when using real LEGOs) out of his tool belt and proceeds to take the dungeon wall apart. Humor I can appreciate I guess...

Last edited:
Reactions: VeloClone

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Bale has been the best Batman to date, IMO. Could be that the 3 movies he’s been Batman were the best 3 though.

I agree. I don’t see why they need to keep redoing Batman so soon. Then I think how many spidermans have we had in the last 20 years lol. All about getting every dime out of the series they can.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I agree. I don’t see why they need to keep redoing Batman so soon. Then I think how many spidermans have we had in the last 20 years lol. All about getting every dime out of the series they can.
For the longest time it was the only DC property that Warner Bros could not **** up, I think that was part of the reason they keep churning out Batman after Batman.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The more Michael Keaton something has, generally the better it is...

Spider-Man: Homecoming
The Founder
Spotlight
Birdman
Toy Story 3
Batman Returns
Batman
Beetlejuice

...are all favorites.

The guy was pretty good in the 80s/90s and has had quite the late career renaissance.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Affleck rightfully catches a lot of crap, but I thought he was decent as Batman. The Bruce Wayne character has to be a bit of an arrogant d-bag that you really wouldn't root for if he weren't Batman. Bale and Affleck were both pretty spot-on filling that role.

Bale had the clear advantage when it came to a better script, better dialogue and a better supporting cast. I'm not sure if Affleck would get the same praise that Bale got if roles were reversed, but I'm guessing if you put Bale in BvsS or Suicide Squad, nobody is saying how awesome he was in that role.

I think that was the point of the earlier post - Ben Affleck was actually a pretty good Bruce Wayne. His Batman, well, at least he's better than Clooney. A lot better.

• Agree
Reactions: burn587