Ames Menards set to open spring 2019

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
So the menards is open before the Exit ramp off 30 they started building almost 2 years ago??? Cool

• Funny
Reactions: Cycsk

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Can Ames and the surrounding area provide enough customers to keep all of the following in business?

Lowes, Menards, Theisens, FleetFarm, Target, Sam's Club, and two Walmarts?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Can Ames and the surrounding area provide enough customers to keep all of the following in business?

Yes. I worry about Brekke's.
Theisens will take a big hit.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
So Ames needs a Lowe's, Menards, Theisens, and Fleet Farm. But has no furniture store and one department store.

I'd love to see the market analysis by the home improvement stores.

• Agree
Reactions: HitItHard58

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

I think so. When I worked at Lowes in the summer of 2010, I asked a manager a question regarding sales and how the store could stay in business with a relatively small population. His response was that west and north of Ames is a wasteland for home improvement retail. So people north and west of Ames will drive an hour or maybe more to go to the store.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I think so. When I worked at Lowes in the summer of 2010, I asked a manager a question regarding sales and how the store could stay in business with a relatively small population. His response was that west and north of Ames is a wasteland for home improvement retail. So people north and west of Ames will drive an hour or maybe more to go to the store.

It's a wasteland because nobody lives there.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
So Ames needs a Lowe's, Menards, Theisens, and Fleet Farm. But has no furniture store and one department store.

I'd love to see the market analysis by the home improvement stores.

Not that I disagree, but its much more common, easier and cheaper to buy furniture, clothes, etc. online. With the Fleet Farm development, there are 3 different planned big box type developments supposed to start in Ames if they haven't already (old K-mart and in between Target & Wal-Mart) Could see some new to the city stores open in the next couple years.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The Grimes Menards is rumored to open in July. Can tell it is getting close as you can see the store being stocked from the windows. Pretty pumped for it to open as Grimes needed a big store like that and we also had an Earl May open up the other week too.

Will be interesting to see how it affects the Bomgaar's store that just opened a couple years ago and I'm sure it will really put a hurt on the True Value store in town that is terribly overpriced. It could very well be the end to the True Value store eventually but their prices aren't the only issue, they have some customer service issues as well as I know several people haven't been pleased with how they've interacted with the newer managers there recently. If they are going to stay in business their service is going to be the key behind it because you should get better service and knowledge from a smaller store like that than a big box store like Menards.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Not that I disagree, but its much more common, easier and cheaper to buy furniture, clothes, etc. online. With the Fleet Farm development, there are 3 different planned big box type developments supposed to start in Ames if they haven't already (old K-mart and in between Target & Wal-Mart) Could see some new to the city stores open in the next couple years.

I don't disagree either, but why do people buy jeans online but not a pack of screws? How is it cheaper to buy furniture online than a product that is smaller than Furniture, like a radial saw?

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
The Grimes Menards is rumored to open in July. Can tell it is getting close as you can see the store being stocked from the windows. Pretty pumped for it to open as Grimes needed a big store like that and we also had an Earl May open up the other week too.

Will be interesting to see how it affects the Bomgaar's store that just opened a couple years ago and I'm sure it will really put a hurt on the True Value store in town that is terribly overpriced. It could very well be the end to the True Value store eventually but their prices aren't the only issue, they have some customer service issues as well as I know several people haven't been pleased with how they've interacted with the newer managers there recently. If they are going to stay in business their service is going to be the key behind it because you should get better service and knowledge from a smaller store like that than a big box store like Menards.

Cant wait for this to open. Much easier than taking 415 into the Ankeny Menards - that place is a mess getting in and out of. The drive across the bridge is much shorter and convenient!

I don't think it will hurt bomgaars much at all.

Reactions: CYdTracked

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I don't disagree either, but why do people buy jeans online but not a pack of screws? How is it cheaper to buy furniture online than a product that is smaller than Furniture, like a radial saw?

One thought is that kind of stuff is usually needed for immediate use, contractors, building projects, etc. Definitely people order stuff from Lowes online too. It'll be interesting to see if all those stores can stay viable in Ames.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

Probably has something to do with the fact that when you realize you need screws, you need them now, not in 2 days. Jeans you typically don't buy to instantly use.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If I need screws for something it's likely because I'm in the middle of a project and don't want to wait several days, if I'm buying jeans online it's usually not because I don't have any pants to wear. Usually.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Cant wait for this to open. Much easier than taking 415 into the Ankeny Menards - that place is a mess getting in and out of. The drive across the bridge is much shorter and convenient!

I don't think it will hurt bomgaars much at all.
Bomgaars has baby chickens and peach rings so I will still shop there once Menards opens.

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron