Ames Menards set to open spring 2019

exCYtement

Feb 28, 2011
Ames
http://www.amestrib.com/news/20180807/city-approves-menards-site-plan-store-to-open-next-spring

"Menards has been cleared by the city to start construction on a new site on South 16th Street, with plans to open the store next spring.
City planner Charlie Kuester said the Wisconsin-based hardware chain’s engineering firm submitted the final documents required for their site plan approval last week, and can now begin developing on the land slightly east of the intersection of South 16th Street and South Duff Avenue."

Good news for Ames. It will be great to have an alternative to Lowe's and Ace.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
so is this going in the field between the Deery and George White car dealerships?

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
Yay.... Just as far to travel as Lowes for us on the north end of town.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
15+ years in the making is finally coming to fruition. It was a rumor when I first got to Ames in 03 that Menards was going to build along Hwy 30.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
This is fake news...

(This has been rumored for a decade, I'll believe it when I see it)

I feel you, it has been a long time since Menards started looking for a spot in Ames. They had equipment on-site Monday starting dirt/prep work already.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
That location makes no sense. Ames is growing north and west. Why put it on the extreme southeast corner of Ames?

Right along HWY 30 and close to I-35 so probably figuring on getting business from the north coming down 35 and from the west (Boone, Ogden, etc.). Also I would think many shoppers from Nevada would go to this store instead of driving down to Ankeny

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Is there really that much business that we need more than Lowe's and Theisen's?

If you’re a contractor or have a larger project going on, yes. Lowes isn’t even close to the same level as menards for building products and pricing for them.

Home Depot and Lowes are targeted more towards the weekend DYI Pinterest folks with the items they carry at the store.

If it’s not small cosmetic additions almost every project I have normally starts and ends with Menards (or Ace since it’s closer) even though Home Depot is right next door. My FIL is a contractor in the area and is very happy having Menards available soon

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Menards = raw material heaven
Lowe's/Home Depot/Ace = significantly better power tools

Each place has their perks. Menards crushes the others in lumberyard type stuff.

Menards sells more "lower end" product where Lowes and Home Depot don't really offer that option.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
http://www.amestrib.com/news/20180807/city-approves-menards-site-plan-store-to-open-next-spring

"Menards has been cleared by the city to start construction on a new site on South 16th Street, with plans to open the store next spring.
City planner Charlie Kuester said the Wisconsin-based hardware chain’s engineering firm submitted the final documents required for their site plan approval last week, and can now begin developing on the land slightly east of the intersection of South 16th Street and South Duff Avenue."

Good news for Ames. It will be great to have an alternative to Lowe's and Ace.

Menards is great if you don't mind their employees not making eye contact w/ you
--the customer, and not offering assistance when you clearly need it, and generally being strategically lazy.

I shop there because it's closer to home than Lowes or Home Depot. But that's the only reason

• Agree
Reactions: dosry5

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Menards is great if you don't mind their employees not making eye contact w/ you
--the customer, and not offering assistance when you clearly need it, and generally being strategically lazy.

I shop there because it's closer to home than Lowes or Home Depot. But that's the only reason

I don't recall having an issue with Menards employees. Had a few go out of their way for me and most know what is going on when you ask some odd ball question. Also the check out is nice at Menards because you can put more than on item on the counter.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If you’re a contractor or have a larger project going on, yes. Lowes isn’t even close to the same level as menards for building products and pricing for them.

Home Depot and Lowes are targeted more towards the weekend DYI Pinterest folks with the items they carry at the store.

If it’s not small cosmetic additions almost every project I have normally starts and ends with Menards (or Ace since it’s closer) even though Home Depot is right next door. My FIL is a contractor in the area and is very happy having Menards available soon

This, I kinda like having options even as the DIY weekend guy. I have a real hardware store 3 miles away and a Menards and a Home Depot 2 miles away. Some of the items at Menards are lower quality (power tools and the like) but it's yuge and hits the need for some stuff. Their assortment of lumbers sizes in stock is way better than Home Depots. Was building a little garden bridge the other day and needed a 6 foot treated 2x4 which they had. Need a 6' pine 1x6, they will have it in their racks and in different grades. A 7 to 8 mile round trip lets me hit them all, which I do more than I like to admit looking for the right thing. Nearest Lowes is 9 miles away, almost never go there.

Reactions: aauummm