Impossible Burger

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I don't know if "processed" is a fair word. My understanding is they are using the same cells and biology to just "grow" muscle tissue (ie meat) in a petri dish. So it is literally meat, just not from a whole animal. I'm not sure how they provide energy to it to keep it growing, I suppose google can tell us.

Not sure if that is what the Impossible Burger is, but I had read this as something that was being done and close to fruition. On one hand, it's great that it is the "same" thing. On the other hand, it's kinda creepy af too. Not sure how I feel about it.

I could see this taking up some market share from "traditional" sources. Possibly a cheaper source of protein. But maybe the traditional would then command a price premium.

They are also growing organs, like kidneys and livers and such, for transplants. I think they are doing some of this already.

Brave new world kids...
It's not. The Impossible Burger is 100% plant material.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
They were test marketed in St. Louis and I tried one. Surprisingly close effort of the real Whopper, I would do it again but order a regular Whopper at the same time for a fair test. Not being marketed as a healthy alternative as it contains a fair amount of calories. Ingredients include a "genetically modified yeast" and primarily a soy based product. I raise cattle and soybeans so whatever consumer's wish list this fills is ok with me. Doubt that the flavor (marbling, fat or grease) in real beef can be replicated though. I have no idea what consumer this appeals to but I suspect that it will be people who for various reasons are anti-meat whether it be vegetarian, vegan or the I can't eat animals crowd. I just want the FDA to make sure that the products are labeled fairly.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They were test marketed in St. Louis and I tried one. Surprisingly close effort of the real Whopper, I would do it again but order a regular Whopper at the same time for a fair test. Not being marketed as a healthy alternative as it contains a fair amount of calories. Ingredients include a "genetically modified yeast" and primarily a soy based product. I raise cattle and soybeans so whatever consumer's wish list this fills is ok with me. Doubt that the flavor (marbling, fat or grease) in real beef can be replicated though. I have no idea what consumer this appeals to but I suspect that it will be people who for various reasons are anti-meat whether it be vegetarian, vegan or the I can't eat animals crowd. I just want the FDA to make sure that the products are labeled fairly.

Aren't vegetarians also non GMO people? This seems to be hard core GMO.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Aren't vegetarians also non GMO people? This seems to be hard core GMO.
As a person who is transitioning into being full-time vegetarian (I'll still order meat when I'm eating out at a restaurant), this thread really speaks volumes about how much people just don't know how to cook or eat food that doesn't include meat.

A statement like this is just crazy. You know how stereotypes work, right?

• Agree
Reactions: simply1

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
It will be interesting to see how the anti-meat folks will respond to the genetically modified yeast element to this product as it states in the companies website that this development was the key to the success of the product. But people make their decisions about what is acceptable on pretty sketchy info. For example it amazes me how big the gluten free market has become as many people associate this term with non-gmo, vegetarian etc. as a healthy alternative life style when they do not have a gluten allergy.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I can say, with near certainty, that I have no plans to cut meat out. I am not looking at this new product as an alternative to anything. In my opinion, it stands on its own. It doesn't have to be replace meat to have a place on the menu at my house.

Thanks for your insight. Obviously I have a vested interest in whether or not this will be a long-term, viable alternative to natural beef and the impacts on beef demand that it could have.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Being vegetarian for environmentalist reasons is easier than being vegetarian to improve one's health. You practically need to be a scientist to combine proteins in the correct way to be a healthy vegan. Many vegans do it, many do not.

Avoiding fast food and processed food would be a better option for most people who try to be vegan because they think they're going to lose weight.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
As a person who is transitioning into being full-time vegetarian (I'll still order meat when I'm eating out at a restaurant), this thread really speaks volumes about how much people just don't know how to cook or eat food that doesn't include meat.

Yep. And every vegetarian I met was 100% organic. So hence the question. Glad you get offended first before explaining any.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I was hoping that the impossible burger would be a much healthier option to try, but that is not the case. I might buy one just to try it though.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I ordered a veggie burger at DQ when in Rochester Minnesota. Hey, it is a burger with veggies right? Heck no, they took beans, corn, and some other Godforsaken crap, mashed it together and put some seasoning in it. It was bad.

As bad as the time I was at the rainforest cafe and got the mushroom burger. A flipping mushroom on a bun. What is that?
Rainforest Cafe? At the Henry Doorly zoo?

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010

I get the feeling once you finish your transition you'll fit right in with the vegetarian crowd.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
I do think that many decades from now, raising animals for meat will be mostly replaced by both vegan options (Beyond/Impossible) and lab meat that bypass any questions of animal welfare and resource usage.

I am mostly vegan these days for a whole host of reasons, but recognize I am fortunate to be in a position to choose. Many people cannot due to socioeconomic reasons. (Pragmatically speaking, I'm also for GMO crops for the most part.)

Brick City Grill in Ames sells a great Impossible Burger that I had last time I was in town. Anyone else had it?

Reactions: Peter

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I do think that many decades from now, raising animals for meat will be mostly replaced by both vegan options (Beyond/Impossible) and lab meat that bypass any questions of animal welfare and resource usage.

It will be interesting to see where this trend mean for agriculture. If demands for cow and pig meat slackens because of cell-based or vegan meat it would have a huge effect on the industry.

Help Support Us

Become a patron