Matt Campbell and depth

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I am impressed by his ability to recruit depth. It seemed like previous coaches could sometimes get a pretty good 1st string out there but struggled to build depth. So when injuries invariably occurred we were screwed. I always attributed it is nobody wants to come and be a backup for a period of time at ISU because of poor tradition etc. it doesn’t seem to matter to this staff. Their ability to build a program appears to be extremely sustainable because every position has a pretty good 2 deep. This is something I have never seen in the last 20 years that has has some success. Now some very special players are starting to take notice(Brock and Hall) and committing. They don’t seem to care they are in the same class. It’s pretty cool.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
very good points. Depth is the difference between winning and losing. Before if a key player left a game with an injury, we were screwed. The other team would exploit that position. Heck I think were getting to the point where we are almost 3 deep at some positions. The most amazing thing this staff has done in quick order is build the defensive line. For 40 years we struggled with defensive linemen. We could get 3 or 4 good ones ready to go, but after that, there was a big drop off.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Yeah at Iowa State our depth is what causes us to not compete with the big boys when we play them at the middle of the season. Our top starters are always pretty good. Hopefully we are solving that issue.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I think this has a lot to do with preparation outside of games. You hear about Montgomery working Friday/Saturday nights and bringing people with him. That's what builds depth the depth we're seeing

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I also like that CMC will find a way to play a kid if he is ready even if there is an elite player in front of the kid. This has really worked well on defense. Underclassmen get experience. Upperclassmen don't get worn down. As the talent improves on the offensive line, it will be interesting to see if we rotate more players during games or if we stick to the same five. I would think this is the year to get some of the underclassmen some snaps.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
CMC plays best players no matter their age which is a far cry froM previous regime and Heacock changing to a 3-3-5 with success has been huge in that DL is hardest spot to recruit but only need 5-6 solid dudes instead of 8-9..

We are 3 deep on DL..

Kinda excited to see Will McDonald as an OLB.. 6’6 with huge wingspan.. still a frosh.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
very good points. Depth is the difference between winning and losing. Before if a key player left a game with an injury, we were screwed. The other team would exploit that position. Heck I think were getting to the point where we are almost 3 deep at some positions. The most amazing thing this staff has done in quick order is build the defensive line. For 40 years we struggled with defensive linemen. We could get 3 or 4 good ones ready to go, but after that, there was a big drop off.

They need to find a couple more studs in this class, mainly interior guys to replace Lima, Johnson.

Javinegli

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I think development of his players aligns with this. Campbell and his staff know what they are looking for at all positions. They find their body type of player at each position, and then mold them to their style. Some younger guys may emerge faster, so this is what ultimately leads to great depth.
Some backups will stay backups, but they are still able to contribute.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
They need to find a couple more studs in this class, mainly interior guys to replace Lima, Johnson.

Agreed. We have a ton of offers out now, but only brought in a walk-on with the previous class. Thought I heard they were experimenting with moving Tucker Robertson outside, but that may just have been due to injuries.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
The depth also has more to do with player development than anything IMO. Those under recruited kids getting much better under this staff as opposed to years past are creating a lot of that depth too.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I also like that CMC will find a way to play a kid if he is ready even if there is an elite player in front of the kid. This has really worked well on defense. Underclassmen get experience. Upperclassmen don't get worn down. As the talent improves on the offensive line, it will be interesting to see if we rotate more players during games or if we stick to the same five. I would think this is the year to get some of the underclassmen some snaps.

This is right where my mind immediately goes when I think about the current/recent CMC teams. Not only are you grooming the young guy for down the road, but it hopefully isn't such a shock and large drop-off if the starter would happen to go down. Have to think upperclassmen being more fresh allows them to be sharper and keep better form to not be put in position for possible injury (always will be some you can't avoid).

I've never really heard of a rotating offensive line strategy like you see in almost all other positions. It's such a "dependent on chemistry with your neighbor" position with combo blocks and adjustments for different defensive alignments that I'd think you want that as consistent as possible.

Reactions: cyence

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I am impressed by his ability to recruit depth. It seemed like previous coaches could sometimes get a pretty good 1st string out there but struggled to build depth. So when injuries invariably occurred we were screwed. I always attributed it is nobody wants to come and be a backup for a period of time at ISU because of poor tradition etc. it doesn’t seem to matter to this staff. Their ability to build a program appears to be extremely sustainable because every position has a pretty good 2 deep. This is something I have never seen in the last 20 years that has has some success. Now some very special players are starting to take notice(Brock and Hall) and committing. They don’t seem to care they are in the same class. It’s pretty cool.

Agree... I love where we are this year - obviously there could be some growing pains at WR, RB, CB.. but that is college football, every team loses talent, you need new guys to step up. Good news is, there are players at every position that you think have a chance to be good, and in most cases 2 deep looks very solid.

I think my only real concern looking at the roster today and projecting out a year from now, is the interior DL. Obviously, this is a strength this year... but we didn't bring in anyone in last year's recruiting class that is an obvious replacement for Ray Lima, Jamahl Johnson. Who knows.... maybe a guy like Corey Suttle is able to develop into an interior lineman.. but big, athletic interior DL is always one of the most challenging pieces to get... Also, in general, they are not going to come in ready to start as true freshmen (unless you're a 5-star guy going to places like Alabama or Texas). So, assuming they need time to develop, we go from 5 guys who can contribute this year, to 3 next year (Isaiah Lee, Josh Bailey, Tucker Robertson)...

So, we could be ok, but in addition to losing your top two guys, you also lose some depth up front. It would be nice to start seeing who the next group that will contribute are.... of course you can also go the Transfer/JC route if you need immediate help.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: cyence and BigCyFan

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Yeah, even at full strength ISU was always going to struggle with the better teams, but the bad ones would suddenly be able to run or throw or pass rush after a starter went down. Most telling thing I have seen for 20 years was crushing WVU with Lima out last year.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Depth is certainly better, but I think a lot of the upside has been from being "multiple" on defense and the scheme change. When Campbell talks endlessly about being multiple, it's not just coach speak. The defense is truly multiple in how it can attack what an offense is doing. Watch the West Virginia game as the best example. We got all those sacks on Grier because he was confused and couldn't find the "wrong decision" of the defense to exploit.

Under more traditional defenses, the modern spread offense essentially always makes you make a decision and then exploits that decision. Heacock has wrestled that "always wrong defense" back away from the spread to some degree. That said it really helps when you have Lima upfront, a lock-down type corner on the boundary, and cerebral linebackers that can handle a variety of assignments, not to mention safeties that really play downhill on the running plays. As long as we're gap sound and with good safety tackling, teams will continue to run against us out of their spread, but with limited success. Maybe I just made the case that our success in because of the players, but the coaches recognized that they could run the scheme.

• Agree
Reactions: cyence

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Agree... I love where we are this year - obviously there could be some growing pains at WR, RB, CB.. but that is college football, every team loses talent, you need new guys to step up. Good news is, there are players at every position that you think have a chance to be good, and in most cases 2 deep looks very solid.

I think my only real concern looking at the roster today and projecting out a year from now, is the interior DL. Obviously, this is a strength this year... but we didn't bring in anyone in last year's recruiting class that is an obvious replacement for Ray Lima, Jamahl Johnson. Who knows.... maybe a guy like Corey Suttle is able to develop into an interior lineman.. but big, athletic interior DL is always one of the most challenging pieces to get... Also, in general, they are not going to come in ready to start as true freshmen (unless you're a 5-star guy going to places like Alabama or Texas). So, assuming they need time to develop, we go from 5 guys who can contribute this year, to 3 next year (Isaiah Lee, Josh Bailey, Tucker Robertson)...

So, we could be ok, but in addition to losing your top two guys, you also lose some depth up front. It would be nice to start seeing who the next group that will contribute are.... of course you can also go the Transfer/JC route if you need immediate help.

Isaiah Lee is a badass freshman Nose

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Great thread and great points by all. The current staff has been willing to be creative in a lot of areas instead of trying the same thing over and over and waiting for a different result. Coaches as a lot can be egotistical and stubborn. I don't see a lot of that among this group.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Great thread and great points by all. The current staff has been willing to be creative in a lot of areas instead of trying the same thing over and over and waiting for a different result. Coaches as a lot can be egotistical and stubborn. I don't see a lot of that among this group.

In an interview, Campbell said they took the time right after Cyning Day to look at everything and everybody to see what they could improve. He does not seem like an easy person to work with unless you are all-in and teachable.

• Agree
Reactions: cyence and norcalcy

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
In an interview, Campbell said they took the time right after Cyning Day to look at everything and everybody to see what they could improve. He does not seem like an easy person to work with unless you are all-in and teachable.

If you are a knucklehead I don’t want Coach Campbell to be easy to work with.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The philosophy of finding a way to get your best 11 on the field regardless of position is part and parcel of this. No other coach finds a way to play his former starting QB at LB when he loses his starting job. So much talent languishes (and often eventually transfers) under so many coaches because the coach would rather they sit then get creative to find another way to play them.

Help Support Us

Become a patron