Wednesday: Weights
Thursday: 3.1
Friday: 3.1
Saturday morning: Long run
Saturday: Basketball

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Looks like I'll make it to the starting line in Minneapolis this Sunday. I battled through a couple minor injuries this summer but feel good to go. The weather looks good at the moment.
Good luck to all running Minny and Chicago this weekend.
How’d it go?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
My relatives said the weather in Chicago was brutal for running.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Running my first marathon Saturday. Always been more of a 5K runner but have been training for the past 4 months including a 18, 19, 20 miler, and a 1:40 half. Shooting for 3:45.

What should I expect?

D

Deleted member 8507

Running my first marathon Saturday. Always been more of a 5K runner but have been training for the past 4 months including a 18, 19, 20 miler, and a 1:40 half. Shooting for 3:45.

What should I expect?
I developed a fairly accurate spreadsheet about 20 years ago (when I still ran). What is your fastest 5k in last 3 months, how many miles did you do in last 8 and 10 weeks?

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014

What should I expect?
You're 1:40 half shows you should be able to do around a 3:30 marathon. You could start out running 8:30's and if you feel good around 18 to 20 bump it up and start passing people.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

What should I expect?

No Idea, but good luck and have fun! (?)

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Anyone running Dam to DSM in June? Said I wouldnt run another 20k because of feet and back issues but did terrible last year (2:10) so need redemption. Anything under 2 hours I will be happy with.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

What should I expect?

If you're doing Rock n Roll Nashville, I'd expect a few hills based on the elevation profile...

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneNorth

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT

What should I expect?

This close to the race, just get plenty of sleep and rest over the next few days. It took me a few marathons to realize this, but what you put in your body the days leading up to race is also very important. There's plenty of carbo loading theories out there, but it's almost more important to stay away from anything that can wreck havoc on your digestive system. Having to unexpectedly use the bathroom a couple times can derail your race very quickly.

During the race, be proactive with water and any gels/goo/whatever energy source you'll be putting in your body. If you wait until you cramp up or hit a wall, it's going to be hard to recover, especially late in the race. It sounds a little cliche but taking the race one mile at a time has helped me in the past versus "counting down" how much longer you still have to run. Having a goal time is a must, but as a first time marathoner be prepared to have an A, B and C goal for your finish time as there are a lot of factors at play with how well the race can go.

Good luck! Running a full marathon is a big deal and a heck on an an accomplishment. It's a great feeling finishing that first marathon but be careful, you might get hooked on it like me ;)

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
This close to the race, just get plenty of sleep and rest over the next few days. It took me a few marathons to realize this, but what you put in your body the days leading up to race is also very important. There's plenty of carbo loading theories out there, but it's almost more important to stay away from anything that can wreck havoc on your digestive system. Having to unexpectedly use the bathroom a couple times can derail your race very quickly.

During the race, be proactive with water and any gels/goo/whatever energy source you'll be putting in your body. If you wait until you cramp up or hit a wall, it's going to be hard to recover, especially late in the race. It sounds a little cliche but taking the race one mile at a time has helped me in the past versus "counting down" how much longer you still have to run. Having a goal time is a must, but as a first time marathoner be prepared to have an A, B and C goal for your finish time as there are a lot of factors at play with how well the race can go.

Good luck! Running a full marathon is a big deal and a heck on an an accomplishment. It's a great feeling finishing that first marathon but be careful, you might get hooked on it like me ;)

I'd agree with all of the above (granted I've just run 1 marathon). Have a dream goal, a realistic goal, and then the just be happy you finished goal.

Drink and eat before you need to during the run. Take an extra gel with you for a boost (I only took 4 gels with me and would have been better off with 5 or 6). Be prepared for something stupid to give you a problem. About midway through my run I stepped over to give a little kid a high five and stepped wrong on a sewer grate and spent the next 3 miles with a twinge in my right thigh. It disappeared, but wasn't something I wanted to deal with for miles 10-13.

Most of all have fun.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN

Any recovery tips for after I cross the finish line?

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
Any recovery tips for after I cross the finish line?

I've complete three marathons but have yet to get the "runners high". I've wanted to die more than anything. I love beer and it's the last thing I want at that moment. I think I've said I'm never running again all three times.

Curbs are like mountains after a marathon.

Have fun and good luck! Enjoy every second because after everything I've said, all three are some of the greatest physical and mental accomplishments you can ever achieve.

Cheers!

• Agree
Reactions: tigershoops31

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Beer.

The "Experts" will tell you to do recovery runs and whatnot in the upcoming days. I did not do this.
I've ran 13 marathons and will be running my 14th a week from Sat. I concur with this.
My advice for your first is don't go out too fast. Come up with a goal time and start out about 15-30 sec/mile slower than that. If you still feel good at halfway, kick it up a notch but not too much. It's the 20 mi mark where you'll really know if you're going to finish at a good pace or in immense pain:)

• Agree
Reactions: aobie and iahawks

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Anyone running Dam to DSM in June? Said I wouldnt run another 20k because of feet and back issues but did terrible last year (2:10) so need redemption. Anything under 2 hours I will be happy with.
I'm running with my 16yo son who will be doing his first race longer than a 10k.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron