Linux Users - Reccomendation for Easy Distro?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
My parents' computer is not quite 10 years old...and has Windows 10 on it which is painful...slow and when it updates it takes forever! I am a proud Linux Mint (Cinnamon) user and find it to be very easy to use and it runs fast even on my older equipment. They really only use their computer for web-based activity (banking, email, searching for info on their interests). Anyway...I talked my dad into allowing me to install a Linux OS on their computer and plan on installing Linux Mint on their system. Was wondering if there is an even easier (less intimidating) Linux distro out there that someone might suggest. I used to know a lot more about the various distros available but once I started using Linux Mint I quite researching other distros. Again, I find Linux Mint to be great...but if there is something just as reliable and easy to use...I would like to take a look at it before I install some form of Linux onto my parents computer. Any recommendations? Thanks!

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I've tried messing with Ubuntu a little but it just isn't quite there yet. It's pretty easy to do the basics like browsing the web but anything else can be difficult. I never got the sound working and I have a decent knowledge base.

Reactions: cyfanatic

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I've tried messing with Ubuntu a little but it just isn't quite there yet. It's pretty easy to do the basics like browsing the web but anything else can be difficult. I never got the sound working and I have a decent knowledge base.

I just think Linux Mint is a breeze...but don't want to overwhelm my parents! I don't remember why I didn't go with Ubuntu when I jumped into using Linux...maybe Mint is just too similar to Windows 7 (which I really liked) so I went with it. I am guessing I will end up going with Linux Mint just because I know it...and when/if I have to troubleshoot something for them I will know what I am doing. That said though...I don't recall having any issues with Linux Mint...it just works well!

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I would use whatever you're most comfortable with and use because you're the person they're going to come to with problems. That said Ubuntu is the most used distro so it has a huge amount of support available and is almost always regarded as one of the easiest to start using (except for Argent apparently). Since Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu it'd make sense that it would also be very easy to use.

But there's nothing more frustrating than having a less computer savvy user try to explain problems when you can't see it so having them use what you use would make the most sense I'd say.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I would use whatever you're most comfortable with and use because you're the person they're going to come to with problems. That said Ubuntu is the most used distro so it has a huge amount of support available and is almost always regarded as one of the easiest to start using (except for Argent apparently). Since Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu it'd make sense that it would also be very easy to use.

But there's nothing more frustrating than having a less computer savvy user try to explain problems when you can't see it so having them use what you use would make the most sense I'd say.

I am talking myself into doing exactly what you suggest...just go with Linux Mint. It will appear familiar to them as it does sort of replicate the look of Windows. The very first software I will install is TeamViewer...that program has kept me from having to get in my car and drive over to my parents to solve a simple computer issue on many occasions! That is a very useful piece of software for anyone in my situation (having to help parents with computer issues)!

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I am talking myself into doing exactly what you suggest...just go with Linux Mint. It will appear familiar to them as it does sort of replicate the look of Windows. The very first software I will install is TeamViewer...that program has kept me from having to get in my car and drive over to my parents to solve a simple computer issue on many occasions! That is a very useful piece of software for anyone in my situation (having to help parents with computer issues)!
It also puts their computer on the Internet for anyone to be able to take control of. Just be aware, if you can do it, so can someone else.

I'd recommend any LTS (long term support) Ubuntu release, the last one was 18.04. The problem you're going to have is driver support. If they have old or less popular peripherals you're going to have a hard time on anything not-Windows.

I am curious, why encourage them to switch?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
It also puts their computer on the Internet for anyone to be able to take control of. Just be aware, if you can do it, so can someone else.

I'd recommend any LTS (long term support) Ubuntu release, the last one was 18.04. The problem you're going to have is driver support. If they have old or less popular peripherals you're going to have a hard time on anything not-Windows.

I am curious, why encourage them to switch?

My father is frustrated with the slow startup...slow response times...was thinking about buying a new computer. I told him I could/would install a Linux system to save him from buying a new computer. I did worry about the peripherals and drivers but they don't have anything attached to their computer except a cheap printer, monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers. I have never had an issue with driver support when I have installed Linux Mint and my laptops are 5 & 10 years old...though my parents is a desktop. As far as TeamViewer...I never leave it on and never have it automatically log on. We have exchanged the code/password that is generated once the software is running over the phone. I guess it is risk to have that software on the computer but it rarely is active.

Reactions: NWICY and Bader

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
My father is frustrated with the slow startup...slow response times...was thinking about buying a new computer. I told him I could/would install a Linux system to save him from buying a new computer. I did worry about the peripherals and drivers but they don't have anything attached to their computer except a cheap printer, monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers. I have never had an issue with driver support when I have installed Linux Mint and my laptops are 5 & 10 years old...though my parents is a desktop. As far as TeamViewer...I never leave it on and never have it automatically log on. We have exchanged the code/password that is generated once the software is running over the phone. I guess it is risk to have that software on the computer but it rarely is active.
I'd hesitate to say dropping a new OS in there is going to fix that frustration. My first suggestion is always to replace the hard drive with an SSD. Reinstalling Windows might even speed boot times up for a bit, but eventually you'll get back to this point. 500 GB SSDs can be found for around $70 now

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

If start up is the main issue, can you just add a SDD?

guacamole7

Feb 4, 2010
My parents' computer is not quite 10 years old...and has Windows 10 on it which is painful...slow and when it updates it takes forever! I am a proud Linux Mint (Cinnamon) user and find it to be very easy to use and it runs fast even on my older equipment. They really only use their computer for web-based activity (banking, email, searching for info on their interests). Anyway...I talked my dad into allowing me to install a Linux OS on their computer and plan on installing Linux Mint on their system. Was wondering if there is an even easier (less intimidating) Linux distro out there that someone might suggest. I used to know a lot more about the various distros available but once I started using Linux Mint I quite researching other distros. Again, I find Linux Mint to be great...but if there is something just as reliable and easy to use...I would like to take a look at it before I install some form of Linux onto my parents computer. Any recommendations? Thanks!

For new users:
1) Elementary OS
2) Ubuntu Mate 18.04
3) Ubuntu 18.04
4) Linux Mint (not a fan of this personally but it's good for new users)

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
If start up is the main issue, can you just add a SDD?

I think the frustration is that he doesn't use it daily...then when updates occur it takes forever for the computer to be ready to use. Startup does seem slow. He really only uses it for web-based activity. I think Linux Mint will be fine for him. I swear my notebooks with Linux systems are much faster than they used to be with Windows on them...without changing any hardware.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
For new users:
1) Elementary OS
2) Ubuntu Mate 18.04
3) Ubuntu 18.04
4) Linux Mint (not a fan of this personally but it's good for new users)

Going off topic...I agree with you about Mint being good/simple for new users...I personally like it a lot. And being completely respectful about these things fitting the needs/preferences of different individuals, what are you not a fan of Mint? I don't know enough to be overly critical of a distro other than to say what I "like" about it. I would like to learn more...

DuneFan

Nov 7, 2015
Ubuntu Mate. No fancy features that are hard to understand. My problem with the Ubuntu interface is that you have to type in the name of whatever app you want to find, because everything is so well hidden. No OS shouldn't hide apps from the user. With Ubuntu Mate, everything is organized in nice easy to understand (and easy to navigate) menus.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Ubuntu Mate. No fancy features that are hard to understand. My problem with the Ubuntu interface is that you have to type in the name of whatever app you want to find, because everything is so well hidden. No OS shouldn't hide apps from the user. With Ubuntu Mate, everything is organized in nice easy to understand (and easy to navigate) menus.

Honestly...reading through Distrowatch.com, Ubuntu Mate was one that appealed to me. I do think Linux Mint is simple enough for my parents so I will likely go that way but Ubuntu Mate is one I considered.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Just to wrap this topic up...went ahead and installed Linux Mint for my parents. Mint found/had all the drivers for their peripherals. Computer starts up and is ready to use in seconds...took minutes (five or so) with Windows 10. Dad thinks it seems easy to use for what he does with it (mostly web stuff with a few docs). He likes it and isn't too terrified of Mint. So far I am glad I went this route...but always waiting on the next phone call from them to help them troubleshoot something technology related at their house!

rHarmon

Feb 23, 2019
This is like my dad asking me about upgrades to his Windows 7 PC (MS is stopping support for W7, btw). I told him it made more sense to just cough up some $ for a new (or refurbished) PC.

DuneFan

Nov 7, 2015
All this talk about helping parents to find an easy OS. I don't want to ever be like that! I am pushing my mid-50s, and I still enjoy exploring new operating systems. I have a tablet triple-booting THREE operating systems (Windows, Ubuntu Linux, and Android). I don't want to EVER have some young person have to dummy something down for ME.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
This is like my dad asking me about upgrades to his Windows 7 PC (MS is stopping support for W7, btw). I told him it made more sense to just cough up some $ for a new (or refurbished) PC.

I am 70. If your Dad likes Windows 7, I suspect he would enjoy Linux Mint with the Mate desktop. It is very stable and easy to install and looks enough like Windows 7 that he will be happy using it right out of the box. I never throw away a computer just because Microsoft has chosen to try and force me to use Windows 10. They can keep their bloated piece of spyware.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron