Linux Users - Reccomendation for Easy Distro?

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
My parents' computer is not quite 10 years old...and has Windows 10 on it which is painful...slow and when it updates it takes forever! I am a proud Linux Mint (Cinnamon) user and find it to be very easy to use and it runs fast even on my older equipment. They really only use their computer for web-based activity (banking, email, searching for info on their interests). Anyway...I talked my dad into allowing me to install a Linux OS on their computer and plan on installing Linux Mint on their system. Was wondering if there is an even easier (less intimidating) Linux distro out there that someone might suggest. I used to know a lot more about the various distros available but once I started using Linux Mint I quite researching other distros. Again, I find Linux Mint to be great...but if there is something just as reliable and easy to use...I would like to take a look at it before I install some form of Linux onto my parents computer. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Linux Lite would be worth taking a look at.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I am 70. If your Dad likes Windows 7, I suspect he would enjoy Linux Mint with the Mate desktop. It is very stable and easy to install and looks enough like Windows 7 that he will be happy using it right out of the box. I never throw away a computer just because Microsoft has chosen to try and force me to use Windows 10. They can keep their bloated piece of spyware.

THIS! The Linux Mint offerings are really complete OS's...and not intimidating at all! I have had people give me their old notebooks because they have slowed down so much...I install a Linux OS and it runs like new! Sure there are some needs out there that are not convenient for some people in terms of Linux...but what most people do on computers can be more than served well by a Linux OS.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron