Bohannon...

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Ok this means teams like Iowa would not have AJ probably. They would be a walk on at Bama and getting more than enough to offset a scholarships. In fact, players would laugh at scholarships

Players like Jbo would be in worse shape. Low end players like him wouldn’t get as lucky to be even ever seen. Iowa would be fighting drake for the MVC title.

Ding ding!!! You walkon here and I'll pay your school fees and give you $50,000.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
How would it be out in the open? It'd be a free for all. I could give a kid $14,000, you could give the same kid $14,000, someone else could give the kid $14,000 etc. No one would know how much the kid is receiving and from who.

I have a kid who could use 14k, if offering. Will start in August. :)

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I can easily envision many southern schools donors being more willing to fund the kids. And it isn't just the Texas, UNC's, it would be the Mississippi's, Arkansas, etc. where it's already been proven those donors will pony up the cash.

Those recruits are already staying the in south, for the most part. ISU already has to find under the radar recruits, and that most likely wouldn't change. There are still kids who won't be paid and will be under-recruited. Mississippi would probably be able to better compete with the Alabamas of the world because right now, they can't.

But the parity isn't really my point in all of this. These kids deserve to make money on their own and support themselves and their family. Not saying the NCAA will ever allow that to happen, I just wish they would.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Keep in mind too that the athlete's need to pay taxes on a these payments. I could see a lot of student athletes getting into trouble with the IRS.

True. but this is where it could get even shadier. donor could agree to pay the athlete and under the table cover the taxes. Or just give cash and never have it reported. Or instead of pay them actual money, just buy them things (cars, clothes, apartments, etc.)

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I already did several times. Why don't you try posting my previous response in Google Translate and set the output to Moronese? Maybe you can understand that.

The plan you propose would mean that Zion Williamson would be a millionaire in college and the schools with boosters with the deepest pockets would be able to attract the best players. I don't see why that is so hard to understand.

The business on the side could be a booster offering a player a summer job where he pays him 200k. See the problem?

Those are your opinions? That "other schools will be better"? That's a good argument.

"They shouldn't be able to make money because the team I root for will be worse!!!"

Yeah, fantastic argument.

• Disagree
Reactions: JP4CY

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Those recruits are already staying the in south, for the most part. ISU already has to find under the radar recruits, and that most likely wouldn't change. There are still kids who won't be paid and will be under-recruited. Mississippi would probably be able to better compete with the Alabamas of the world because right now, they can't.

But the parity isn't really my point in all of this. These kids deserve to make money on their own and support themselves and their family. Not saying the NCAA will ever allow that to happen, I just wish they would.

They are already having everything they need provided!!! Food, housing, schooling, clothes, spending money. Trust me I experienced it, even used my "extra" money to buy my first racecar".

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
True. but this is where it could get even shadier. donor could agree to pay the athlete and under the table cover the taxes. Or just give cash and never have it reported. Or instead of pay them actual money, just buy them things (cars, clothes, apartments, etc.)

So how it's happening now? Because they aren't doing anything about it now, so why would it matter?

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
They are already having everything they need provided!!! Food, housing, schooling, clothes, spending money. Trust me I experienced it, even used my "extra" money to buy my first racecar".

Who are you to say they are getting what they are worth? If someone is willing to pay them more, then they AREN'T getting everything.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Those are your opinions? That "other schools will be better"? That's a good argument.

"They shouldn't be able to make money because the team I root for will be worse!!!"

Yeah, fantastic argument.

I believe ALL student athletes would be affected. You conveniently missed the post below.
Part 2: colleges with biggest donors have super-teams of athletes which would mean that the other schools would not be ablle to compete. Which would result in decrease in attendance and revenue. Which would negatively affect the athletes for that school. Which in turn would probably result in said school getting rid of sports they can't support due to no revenue coming in.

All because you wanted to help the student athlete.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
This is actually true. I don't like the idea of paying players but it would hurt Iowa a lot more than ISU
I believe ALL student athletes would be affected. You conveniently missed the post below.

I already posted about that. Did you miss it?

ISU has great attendance and support - how would that change?

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I look at it as, if I take a job for 50k salary and earn the company several million in profit from my abilities, should the company be forced to hand me a chunk of it, or should I consider the agreement for that wage fine? That company is not forcing me to be there, the NCAA or the colleges aren't forcing the players to be there.
Actually the NBA and NFL are forcing kids to go to school. It is an awful mandate.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I already did several times. Why don't you try posting my previous response in Google Translate and set the output to Moronese? Maybe you can understand that.
It is challenging living in a world where I am not fluent in moron. I understand your pain...

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: JP4CY and GTO

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Actually the NBA and NFL are forcing kids to go to school. It is an awful mandate.

No one is forced to go to school, they just have requirements to play in their organization. Kids can do whatever they choose to do before they are eligible for these leagues. Thousands of other jobs require you to go to college before being hired but being a pro athlete isn't one of them.

Reactions: Tailg8er

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
No one is forced to go to school, they just have requirements to play in their organization. Kids can do whatever they choose to do before they are eligible for these leagues. Thousands of other jobs require you to go to college before being hired but being a pro athlete isn't one of them.
Come on. So to satisfy the NFL requirement of being 20 a kid will graduate from high school and work on a construction site? Be realistic yet remain obtuse.