On supporting The Mayor's decision and Iowa State basketball

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Do we still like Cael Sanderson?
I don't think those situations are super comparable though.

First, there's the difference in time. This has been a story for what, a few weeks? Cael's been the Penn State coach for 10 years so it's not surprising there isn't as much animosity.

Also, we don't play Penn State, we don't interact with their fans regularly, and Penn State isn't responsible for us potentially losing out on P5 status.So Cael going to Penn State is different than Fred going to Nebraska.

Finally, not as many people care about wrestling or feel as passionate about it. It's like if Iowa State's cross country coach went to Wisconsin. There wouldn't be the same level of frustration because people don't feel as passionate about the sport.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I don't understand the anger towards Fred here. It's not like he turned down an ISU job offer to go to Nebraska. Jamie wasn't going to fire Prohm to offer Fred the job. If Prohm had left for Alabama and Fred still didn't come, I'd maybe see a point but we didn't have an opening this year.

And with all the rumors swirling for some time, how do we know that Fred wasn't holding out to see what Prohm was going to do before agreeing to go to Nebraska?
I think for the majority of people it's because it's Nebraska. It's not really fred getting another coaching job that's an issue, it's that it's at Nebraska.

• Agree
Reactions: kingcy and DuneFan

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think for the majority of people it's because it's Nebraska. It's not really fred getting another coaching job that's an issue, it's that it's at Nebraska.

And does anyone like Cael as much as they did before? I think everyone acknowledged that he lost part of his legacy when he left. It didn't erase his legacy, but it changed it a bit.

But the main reason is Fred has his propaganda machine in the media. I don't like being told what to think and pretty much the entire media has told us what to think regarding this for the past 5 years. We weren't allowed to be disappointed that he didn't want to be the coach at Iowa State because "IT WAS HIS ONE TRUE DREAM IN LIFE TO COACH IN THE NBA" and "HE HATED RECRUITING SO BAD THAT HE WOULD NEVER COACH IN COLLEGE AGAIN". And now we are getting the "HE JUST WANTS TO EARN A LIVING AND HE NEVER SAID HE HATED RECRUITING" and "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? LINCOLN ALWAYS MEANT MORE TO HIM THAN AMES."

If the media (and by media I mostly mean CF) would just let this go and not post more podcasts and articles about how great it is that Fred is going to Nebraska and how happy this should make us the whole thing might kind of die out. But at this point, there's been more of this stuff on here over the last week than there was about Prohm's extension or Fennelly's. At this point I expect CW, Jared, and Rob to go over to the intro press conference on Tuesday.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

So he should have told Nebraska, no thanks just keep your $4mil per year? It's not like there were an abundance of jobs open in the Midwest this year.

I guess i never had any distain for Nebraska basketball the same way I did for their football program. Even that has turned to apathy now that they left the conference.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I don't understand the anger towards Fred here. It's not like he turned down an ISU job offer to go to Nebraska. Jamie wasn't going to fire Prohm to offer Fred the job. If Prohm had left for Alabama and Fred still didn't come, I'd maybe see a point but we didn't have an opening this year.

And with all the rumors swirling for some time, how do we know that Fred wasn't holding out to see what Prohm was going to do before agreeing to go to Nebraska?
What’s not to get? Sports are competitions and Fred no longer is on the team.

Most aren’t angry, but rather recognize it’s just not possible for the coach of Nebraska to also still be “The Mayor” and know that in principle Cyclone fans should wish ill on local P5s, regardless of coach once being a Cyclone.

Sure, we can dismiss the move as irrelevant to ISU because of Nebraska’s past, but it’s naive to think that a figure that was one of the biggest bastions of the ISU brand now leading that program won’t impact ISU. The fact so many here are unwilling to treat Fred like a normal NU coach exemplifies the parasitic nature.

Last edited:

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Waiting for the LeBron reaction, that is, for someone to burn a jersey.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
So he should have told Nebraska, no thanks just keep your $4mil per year? It's not like there were an abundance of jobs open in the Midwest this year.

I guess i never had any distain for Nebraska basketball the same way I did for their football program. Even that has turned to apathy now that they left the conference.
No, and I never said that. He can do what he wants. But that's why most people are upset/not wishing him success. I will wish Fred the best when he's no longer at Nebraska, but while he's there I hope he loses every game sans 1-3.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006

That's a fine way of thinking of it if you're a friend of Fred Hoiberg discussing his career options with him or his friends, but almost none of us are personal friends or have even talked to him once. We aren't talking about his career prospects - we're talking about whether or not this move diminishes his legacy. If he wanted to remain "The Mayor", the hometown hero who had (up until his departure for the Bulls) promoted himself as someone who essentially lived and breathed ISU athletics his entire life, then yes he did need to turn down Nebraska. It's a consequence of how he's promoted himself and/or how he's allowed others to promote him.

He'll always have his legacy as a player and coach, but it's different now. Just like Earl Bruce, Dan Gable and Cael Sanderson - they are certainly hall of fame athletes or coaches but at this point they are now defined by their accomplishments elsewhere. He's not evil and he has no obligation to pass some kind of ISU purity test, but ISU fans have no obligation to "support" him (an odd request - support the coach of a direct competitor).

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I think from this moment forward, with all credit going to BryceC.........

The more I think about it, it's probably better for ISU if Fred sucks at NU. Not because I think he'll be beating us for recruits or anything, but the Fred knob polishers will be insufferable if he does well over there.

.....all those who feel the need to always be critical of Prohm while at the same time stroking Fred should be referred to as........."baldknobbers".

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I've chosen to forget about those days. Just like I'll forget about the Hoiberg Era.

The Cult of Hoiberg can end any time now. That would be cool.
The cult of Hoiberg ending doesn’t necessitate forgetting the success Hoiberg has in rebuilding the program.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Fred, like Gable and Sanderson before him, is now relegated to a different status. Is he still a Cyclone? Sure. But it now isn't the same, and never will be. All the excuses from years ago now sure feel like petty lies. It is now apparent he knew he was leaving Ames, and didn't seem to really care how much damage he did on the way out.

Help Support Us

Become a patron