MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Didn't see anything yet, so figured I'd get the ball rolling. Season begins tomorrow!

What are your guys' predictions this year? I think we can retake the division this year if everyone stays healthy, but the Brewers will be salty again and Goldschmidt makes the Cards more of a threat.

giphy.gif

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
Depends on the pitching staff’s ability to stay healthy/avoid regression. I don’t see how they’ll win the division, but they’ll be a wild card

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Didn't see anything yet, so figured I'd get the ball rolling. Season begins tomorrow!

What are your guys' predictions this year? I think we can retake the division this year if everyone stays healthy, but the Brewers will be salty again and Goldschmidt makes the Cards more of a threat.

giphy.gif
Was just wondering if it was time for this thread.

2019 = the year of the Bote

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
IF... most of the regulars play up to their potential and the team plays with a little more energy and urgency, then they could win a lot of games. This is the kind of roster that could rip off some long winning streaks and 20 win months.

See the ball, hit the ball, catch the ball, throw the ball.

Reactions: CYdTracked

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
It’ll be a heated battle with the Cards down the stretch. Brewers will regress a little bit. I’ll say Cubs win the central by 2 games and bow out in the NLCS

• Agree
Reactions: FerShizzle

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
It’ll be a heated battle with the Cards down the stretch. Brewers will regress a little bit. I’ll say Cubs win the central by 2 games and bow out in the NLCS
I would guess that Yelich and Cain will not both have MVP type seasons again. And their starting pitching has overachieved 2 years in a row.

• Agree
Reactions: cycart

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

Yup. A lot more pressure on the Brew Crew this year to repeat. But there is pressure on the Cubs this year, as well. They are banking on players that in some cases were pretty unreliable a year ago. I think the division is going to be tight right down to the end and injuries to a key player here or there will be huge.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I agree that I was a little disappointed that we weren't more aggressive in free agency this offseason. That being said, we still won 95 games last year with many of our key contributors having a down year and almost everyone is back. If KB and Contreras can get going again, I feel good about another year in the playoffs.

Seems like we are still lacking the elite pitching that most of the other top NL squads have, would love to see make an addition before the trade deadline this year if a good arm is available.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I agree that I was a little disappointed that we weren't more aggressive in free agency this offseason. That being said, we still won 95 games last year with many of our key contributors having a down year and almost everyone is back. If KB and Contreras can get going again, I feel good about another year in the playoffs.

Seems like we are still lacking the elite pitching that most of the other top NL squads have, would love to see make an addition before the trade deadline this year if a good arm is available.
That's the whole point, IMO, though, is that we didn't need to spend money. We won 95 games last year with one of the most inconsistent offenses in the league, and arguably your best starting pitcher and best bullpen pitcher shelved all season. We needed to make sure we fixed our issues, and that's what we did by getting a new hitting coach.

Our pitching staff had the 2nd best team ERA last year, and hopefully Darvish will add to that and Morrow is back soon enough.

The rest of the Division got better yes, but I still think the Cubs roster has the best talent. The biggest question I have is if that talent will show up or not. Hopefully we made enough tweaks to the coaching staff and that makes the difference that is needed.