Corn growers Vs Bud Light

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Remember when Paul McCartney had the dispute with the hog farmers?

a47.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
It's time I weigh in on all of this because I am the EXPERT...in truth I know almost nothing about HFCS.

I changed usernames on a day many years ago when a very similar hysterical thread about HFCS was going bananas and just randomly made that my name. (formerly EustachianTube)
You have no idea how long I've wanted to ask about that but never found the right time... until now. I've always called you "High Fructose Corn Syrup" in my mind but didn't know if that was actually what it was referencing or not. Now I know!

• Funny
Reactions: HFCS

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
The whole corn market is rotten to the core and I work in it.

As you get older, you'll learn that all nearly all industries are rotten and corrupt to the core.

I'm sure there's some guy out there working in the baby crib industry talking about how corrupt the government crib laws are, and how crib subsidies are killing small crib manufacturers.
vauEUgn.gif

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Doc and mkadl

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
Only on the Corn Growers side and their manufactured "outrage" over some silly commercials. Most of the rest of the nation knows little about it nor do they give a **** what that Corn Growers Association thinks.

I'm sure AB had focus groups or other research that demonstrated that after watching that ad, viewers indicated they believed products with corn syrup were less desirable than products without corn syrup. An enterprise like AB does not undertake advertising campaigns on a whim. So I don't think there is anything "manufactured" about the resulting outrage from corn growers. They are playing defense against a narrative that has no basis in fact, but is likely effective. Unfortunately for corn growers, the likely impact of the narrative is not limited to beer.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Cyclone1985

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
The corn growers aren’t upset about this because they think people switching beer brands will impact the market. They are upset with it because the commercial pushes a false narrative that corn syrup is bad for you and products made without corn syrup are superior to those with corn syrup.

i disagree. i think the narrative they are trying to push is that Bud Light doesn't have to add extra ingredients besides the brewing basics to create their beer. normally, adding a sweetener to your beer is either because you're making a particular sweet style of beer or you need to feed the yeast extra to boost alcohol content beyond normal amounts (e.g. the honey added to Hopslam). the other cheap light beers having to add corn syrup seems to be some kind of cheating or shortcut to me. i don't care if the sugars are mostly digested by the yeast or not. the "bad for you" view of the narrative is mostly projection, IMHO.

the true issue with HFCS isn't that it's different than sugar, but that it's so damn easy and cheap to add to processed foods that it's leading to a large extra caloric burden in most people's diets. i try to avoid items that have no or less added sugar (regardless of source) when i can.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You have no idea how long I've wanted to ask about that but never found the right time... until now. I've always called you "High Fructose Corn Syrup" in my mind but didn't know if that was actually what it was referencing or not. Now I know!

Now you know that it's total nonsense :)

I've had people accuse me of being some militant health food crusader or that I work the corn syrup business. Consider me HFCS neutral.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Typical AB-Inbev. Makes commercials taking shots at other breweries, all the while doing the same thing themselves.

Last Superbowl they took shots at Craft Breweries in general. Meanwhile they were buying up Craft Breweries because people are buying less of their garbage products.

I don't know what A-B owns but the supposedly sued a distillery here in western Iowa when they were trying to start up. great stuff made there also. Why attack a start up distillery? home_logo.png http://www.lonelyoakdistillery.com/welcome-screen

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
It's time I weigh in on all of this because I am the EXPERT...in truth I know almost nothing about HFCS.

I changed usernames on a day many years ago when a very similar hysterical thread about HFCS was going bananas and just randomly made that my name. (formerly EustachianTube)

When I first saw your name I legitimately thought “wow that guy must work at Cargill and he’s very proud of the product they produce”

• Funny
Reactions: cdface and HFCS

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron