Corn growers Vs Bud Light

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I find it funny that you don't see the Corn Grower's Association jumping on any of the other products that tout they don't use "High Fructose Corn Syrup". Bud Light isn't the first or only.

Budweiser is the only brand to mock the use of corn sugar. Jumping on the social justice bandwagon that corn sugar is bad for you.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
This whole situation is dumb, from both ends.

AB was dumb to make it, they should have foreseen that they would alienate corn growers and associated communities, which is a hotbed for consumption of their product.

Corn growers being butthurt about this is dumb because the impact is negligible. Domestic beer consumers are pretty loyal, and the few people who actually change brands because of this aren't going to affect the market.

The whole situation is dumb because domestic beer is trash. If you really have to try to sell your trash mass-produced product based on your trash ingredients (or lack of trash ingredients for other trash ingredients, aka rice), you're still selling trash.

Drink real beer. Who cares.

Sounds like some of the antics on CF over our beloved Cyclones and any media type that disses them.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
Bud Light’s marketing this year blows my mind. As somebody who sells a competitive product, it makes me happy.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Iowa is the first state to vote for presidential nominees. Politicians love to win Iowa. Throw money at those lobby groups gets you support. Support equals votes. Votes equal, well you know.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/10/21/how-pandering-to-iowas-ethanol-lobby-hurts-america/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realsp...-corn-lobby-ethanol-mandate-rfs/#70834c5b2db2

View attachment 63188

source: https://www.taxpayer.net/energy-nat...cal-footprint-of-the-corn-ethanol-lobby-2015/

This subsidies create MASSIVE farm operations that kill family farms. I'm stopping here because this could turn political and I'm not interested in that..

Your first two links were full of lies and mis-statements...
- The RFS doesn't help large farmers more that small farmers, it raises the price of corn for all farmers.
- It doesn't hurt cars' engines. Auto manufacturers approve mixes based on the materials used in their engines and all, as far as I am aware, have approved up to E-10 with most up to E-15 and some specially approved up to e-85.
- From the second link: "There are special perks for other renewable energy sources like wind and solar, as well as those for oil, coal and gas." So it isn't just corn farmers.

Look, at the end of the story, you have corn growers who believe in their product and are marketing their product to make a living. They donate a portion of their profits to the CGA to help market their products which is not much different from most business groups out there. I am not sure why the 'corn lobby' should be held to any higher or lower standard than other business organizations.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm sure most of you have heard about the feud between Corn Growers and Bud Light over the corn syrup commercials. Here the level of pettiness that this has reached.

The National Corn and SB Growers Associations sponsors a huge grower conference every year called Commodity Classic. A good client of mine exhibits there and has a social hour at their booth 2 nights. The person that takes care of the booth for my client was ordering beer for this years event in Orlando. He ordered a keg of Abita Amber (Good choice) and a keg of Sweetwater 420.

An hour later the conference rep called him back and said they could not serve Sweetwater 420 at the conference because it goes through an Anheuser-Bush owned distributor in FL. So the Corn Growers pettiness punished a craft brewery because Bud Light made them mad.

Only place I've seen Abita is in Nawleans... Love the amber.

• Agree
Reactions: intrepid27

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Not exactly the same, but I was at a catered meeting hosted by Monsanto (Bayer now) at the Huxley learning center. The crackers that came with the soup had the "Non-GMO Project" label on the package. I made a joke to the Monsanto guy, he was not amused and definitely made call to the catering company.

Were the crackers now 75% Roundup free? That recent court action is gonna sting.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Bud Light’s marketing this year blows my mind. As somebody who sells a competitive product, it makes me happy.

Supposedly one of the head of the Bud light marketing team is an ISU grad and from small town iowa. At least that is what she was claiming last year in the presentation I saw her give.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
the corn growing industry is one of the biggest grifs on our society.

give us money to produce a product and then we have to buy it for our food/fuel.

also let us pollute ur drinking water because daddy needs them yields and he needs to buy a new truck this year.
upload_2019-3-21_9-46-34.jpeg

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Only place I've seen Abita is in Nawleans... Love the amber.

I like Abita Amber too. I see it around occasionally.

This HFCS was never a Bud Light man for what it's worth...but now I don't even have a choice if I'm banned from Bud Light.

• Friendly
Reactions: rbrook

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
The whole situation is dumb because domestic beer is trash. If you really have to try to sell your trash mass-produced product based on your trash ingredients (or lack of trash ingredients for other trash ingredients, aka rice), you're still selling trash.

Drink real beer. Who cares.

And there it is. Beer snobs are the worst.

• Funny
Reactions: isukendall