somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I will be, but admittedly gritting my teeth a little when its KU. I've read so many of them online spouting off about hoping ISU is one and done, that it's really hard to cheer for them.

And this douche is reason #4393 why.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Classy answer. I root for the other Big 12 teams in the tournament. Except Iowa State, because I'm tired of them having success against us.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I want as many Big 12 teams as possible to get in, but after that, I don’t give two ***** about how they do in the tournament.

The obsession with conferences is so weird. We historically do the same thing in football, by talking up how great the conference was to excuse how much we sucked. It’s just strange all around.

Some conferences have good teams, and it's usually the same ones, and some have average and bad ones, and it's usually the same ones.

And some teams from all conferences play in a way that spreads out their opponents, and some play slower paced and grind out games.

And that's all the further I got before I realized I think I'd heard this somewhere before.

upload_2019-3-19_18-1-21.jpeg

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I want as many Big 12 teams as possible to get in, but after that, I don’t give two ***** about how they do in the tournament.

The obsession with conferences is so weird. We historically do the same thing in football, by talking up how great the conference was to excuse how much we sucked. It’s just strange all around.
Weird take.
Ultimately it’s about money.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
The only B1G team I never root for is Nebraska. Have a hard time rooting for Minnesota as well

I never root for Baylor and have a hard time rooting for Tejas. I play it both ways with KU basketball. If they lose I kick them while they are done. If they win, I pound my Big XII chest. I have no problem using Boo U to any advantage I can find.

Otherwise I like to see Big XII teams do well.

Reactions: dexterhawk

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
The difference is Iowa will be rooting hard for every Big Ten team while we will be rooting against Kansas and Kansas State
This is certainly true for my Hok fan co-workers. In fact, in a general college basketball convo I had with 2 colleagues yesterday, they both turned ISU Tourney Championship narrative into how DIFFICULT the B1G conference is and how teams just beat each other up after 3-4 days of such incredibly physical play. I kept my mouth shut, but ALMOST said, "I know one team that didn't have to worry about that happening." Wish I had said it - but still took delight in the obvious jealousy of their tone.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I only care about ISU in the tournament and don't really watch other games, however I do like to see the Big 12 wins. Not because of a silly conference strength argument or false comparison, "They played the runner-up Michigan close, so is close," but rather to see my conference doing well. Having a stronger conference should help with recruiting, tv contracts, seeding, not getting picked apart by other conferences, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I never root for Baylor and have a hard time rooting for Tejas. I play it both ways with KU basketball. If they lose I kick them while they are done. If they win, I pound my Big XII chest. I have no problem using Boo U to any advantage I can find.

Otherwise I like to see Big XII teams do well.

How can you not root for Scott Drew? Baylor football I hope never wins a game but Drew loves us

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Weird take.
Ultimately it’s about money.

Sorry, the only teams I care enough about to actively cheer for are Iowa State, University of Hawaii, and typically whoever is playing Iowa. Doesn’t mean I actively want Big 12 teams to fail, I just don’t care enough about them to actively cheer for them or value my team based on the conference team’s successes or failures.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Not a statistician, but my general view of conference strengths is that the sample sizes in a college season are too low even for a kenpom or a barttovik to really say anything that means a whole lot. The B10 has earned those rankings, but I just don't think they mean a whole lot.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is certainly true for my Hok fan co-workers. In fact, in a general college basketball convo I had with 2 colleagues yesterday, they both turned ISU Tourney Championship narrative into how DIFFICULT the B1G conference is and how teams just beat each other up after 3-4 days of such incredibly physical play. I kept my mouth shut, but ALMOST said, "I know one team that didn't have to worry about that happening." Wish I had said it - but still took delight in the obvious jealousy of their tone.

It's the go-to when things don't look good or go well especially in the fall.

Had a Bucky fan co-worker who sees the B1G as all world all over tell me after Sparty and Herky got pounded in their bowl games one season that it was just bad performances when their opponents both just basically made sure they got the win.

The 'beat each other up' narrative has been around for eons. So weird.

• Winner
Reactions: kentkel

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Except for 2015 what year has ISU crapped the bed? They lost in the 2nd round in 2017 but played to their seed vs. a bad matchup in Purdue.

Weird take.

Purdue was a good matchup once we realized we could just isolate Deonte NBA style and they had no answer. Our mismatch > their mismatch but we didn't really press our advantage until it was too late.

This NBA season showing Deonte may end up the better pro as well.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
How can you not root for Scott Drew? Baylor football I hope never wins a game but Drew loves us

Of course he likes us, he owns us.

I wouldn't mind seeing him do well. He would love to see him go to Nebraska and wing the B1G. I do like how is players dunk on hoks as well.

Hard to get past the stench of Baylor though.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
And this douche is reason #4393 why.

Think about it like this:
George’s was a trash talker...but the only fan base I ever saw him troll was toe. He was always respectful and good with hugs, and especially self. That tells me a lot about the conference respect. Plus the utter disrespect from the fightin frans.