Iowa/ISU/Drake women Basketball

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Quite the year.
AP
Iowa 10
ISU 20
Drake 24

Iowa and ISU with legit shots at hosting the first 2 rounds.

Megan Gustafson with a shot at POY. She's a lot of fun to watch....

Anyway, great year so far...

Women still use RPI
Iowa 9
ISU 11
Drake 19

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Gustafson is a beast inside. I like Bridget better personally. Barancyzk (Spelling?) Is the coach with the most upside of the three IMO. She's had Drake on a roll the last while.

Tried to find snark in your post and I can't, exceptional yr for WBB in the state of Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: dexterhawk

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Gustafson is a beast inside. I like Bridget better personally. Barancyzk (Spelling?) Is the coach with the most upside of the three IMO. She's had Drake on a roll the last while.

Tried to find snark in your post and I can't, exceptional yr for WBB in the state of Iowa.
Women's sports don't seem to engender as much vitriol as the men's so maybe we can just appreciate their success :)

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Drake coach is hot. Later.
i

It is true

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride
D

Deleted member 8507

Drake coach is hot. Later.
You did mean hot commodity as a coach, correct? Just keeping it politically correct. Also, I would love for her to take over for BF when he retires but she will be long gone to a high major by then.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I know Jenny and she is a semi family friend. I am not sure what her next step is going to be. I would imagine if Iowa comes calling in the next few years she would bolt. Then again I assume another big dog will come calling and I am not sure if she would uproot her family to take a big gig. Be interesting to see. I was calling for Fennelly to retire last year and Jenny to take over before Iowa got her. However, It looks like Bill has got the ship going in the right direction again.

• Informative

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I know Fennely has had a ton of success, but I just hate watching him melt down and scream at his own players. I don't know what he's saying, but I wouldn't stand for anyone to act the way he does.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I know Fennely has had a ton of success, but I just hate watching him melt down and scream at his own players. I don't know what he's saying, but I wouldn't stand for anyone to act the way he does.

Baranczyk isn't any better. She's pretty animated on the sidelines. CONSTANTLY stomping her feet.

Reactions: Buster28

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was at an 8th grade girls basketball game between two Catholic schools last week and the opposing coach was melting down on the officials for a moving screen call - a call that I couldn't see if it was correct on the other side of the floor, but his team had been setting moving screens the whole half without a single foul. He kept complaining for about 20 seconds as play continued, ignored the warning to stop by the official and eventually got T'd up - something I had never seen in a game at this age - and still kept loudly complaining. The refs warned him that he was about to get thrown out. Did I mention this was an 8th grade game in a parochial schools league?

Yeah, bench decorum is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

• Informative

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
You did mean hot commodity as a coach, correct? Just keeping it politically correct. Also, I would love for her to take over for BF when he retires but she will be long gone to a high major by then.
No, I meant she's hot, like easy on the eyes. She's also a tremendous coach.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I was at an 8th grade girls basketball game between two Catholic schools last week and the opposing coach was melting down on the officials for a moving screen call - a call that I couldn't see if it was correct on the other side of the floor, but his team had been setting moving screens the whole half without a single foul. He kept complaining for about 20 seconds as play continued, ignored the warning to stop by the official and eventually got T'd up - something I had never seen in a game at this age - and still kept loudly complaining. The refs warned him that he was about to get thrown out. Did I mention this was an 8th grade game in a parochial schools league?

No offense but there never ever has been bench decorum. Coaches have screamed at officials as long as I can remember and I am 45 years old. Shoot Bob Knight, Billy Tubbs, Norm Stewart, Johnny Orr and the rest of them all used to blast the crap out of refs.

• Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone

VegasHerky

Feb 14, 2019

Sounds like he had a right to be upset if his team was setting screens for a whole half without a foul called and then the refs decided to call one.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Sounds like he had a right to be upset if his team was setting screens for a whole half without a foul called and then the refs decided to call one.
This is silly. Just because you get away with breaking the rules for a while doesn't mean you should expect in any way that you will never get called for it. Take your punishment and coach your players to be more careful rather than melting down about a call like that. That is just an idiotic take.

And they weren't just setting screens, they had set multiple moving screens, which is illegal by the rules of basketball at any level.

You can get away with speeding but eventually you will get caught. But by all means you should yell, scream and complain at the cop who finally pulls you over and is giving you a ticket. Let me know how that works out for you.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: VegasHerky

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I really think Iowa (our state) has a special appreciation of girls bball that is beyond most states. The state tournament has always been a big thing, used to have 6v6, etc. I just think Iowans support/care more about hs girls bball than most places, and maybe a lot more. And I think this translates into a good environment for womens ball in college. So not really surprised they are all doing well.

• Agree

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I really think Iowa (our state) has a special appreciation of girls bball that is beyond most states. The state tournament has always been a big thing, used to have 6v6, etc. I just think Iowans support/care more about hs girls bball than most places, and maybe a lot more. And I think this translates into a good environment for womens ball in college. So not really surprised they are all doing well.
I’m old enough to remember 6 on 6. My sister played in HS. Lots of fun to watch

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I know Jenny and she is a semi family friend. I am not sure what her next step is going to be. I would imagine if Iowa comes calling in the next few years she would bolt. Then again I assume another big dog will come calling and I am not sure if she would uproot her family to take a big gig. Be interesting to see. I was calling for Fennelly to retire last year and Jenny to take over before Iowa got her. However, It looks like Bill has got the ship going in the right direction again.

At least two P5 conference openings this year. Penn State is already open, and it appears that Kansas will be open. There are rumblings there could be two openings in the ACC. There is potential for a couple of openings in the Big10. Will be interesting to see if her name shows up as a potential candidate.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron