garbage disposal advice

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
My garbage disposal crapped out a couple weeks ago, so I'm in the market for a new one. I got a 1/2 Hp Kenmore a couple years ago for a different house, and that seemed to work pretty well. Anyway, I'm not looking to spend a ton, but I'm also not sure what I'm looking for.
Anyone have any advice?

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
i have some good advice....make sure it is off before sticking a spoon down there to try and unclog it

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
My garbage disposal crapped out a couple weeks ago, so I'm in the market for a new one. I got a 1/2 Hp Kenmore a couple years ago for a different house, and that seemed to work pretty well. Anyway, I'm not looking to spend a ton, but I'm also not sure what I'm looking for.
Anyone have any advice?

If you are going to stay in this house a looooong time, buy a really good one that you feel comfortable spending for. You get what you pay for. If you go cheap and it cloggs down the pipe, rooter will charge you what you would have paid for a nice one to begin with.

cloneluke80

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
I'll sell you one for $20, Private message me for details. It's slightly used. Long story short my parents remodeled their kitchen and could not use it any longer.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I bought a good sized insinkerator. I'm very glad I did.

Spend the money for a good one (or get a good one used). You'll be glad you did.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I bought a kenmore back in '00.

haven't had any trouble at all. Probably just jinxed that.....

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA
What do you need a garbage disposal for? I've lived most of my life in houses without one. I have one now, but I never use it. It's just as easy to throw stuff away (and better for your plumbing).

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
Check and see if it has a reset before your replace it. If you're sure you need one get a 3/4 horse or bigger.

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
make sure the blades are stainless or they will rust within 1yr especially if you have wdesm water

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
What do you need a garbage disposal for? I've lived most of my life in houses without one. I have one now, but I never use it. It's just as easy to throw stuff away (and better for your plumbing).

When you recycle a lot, and don't throw much stuff in the garbage, it kinda stinks to have rotten food sitting in your garbage for a week or more on end, and it's a hassle (and wasteful) to take out 1/4 full garbage bags all the time.

I suppose you could, and I probably should, start a compost pile, but that's a pain too.

bld1942

Apr 7, 2006
look at the bottom and see if you can use an allen wrench to turn it and possibly free it up, it may just be stuck

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
I should probably take a closer look at the old one. I wasn't home, and the wife said that it made a funny sound, and then it smalled really bad. So I'm guessing that the smell was the windings in the motor burning out.

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA
When you recycle a lot, and don't throw much stuff in the garbage, it kinda stinks to have rotten food sitting in your garbage for a week or more on end, and it's a hassle (and wasteful) to take out 1/4 full garbage bags all the time.

I suppose you could, and I probably should, start a compost pile, but that's a pain too.

You change your garbage once a week? You must not have kids :biglaugh:

Other suggestions:
Use a smaller garbage can.
Don't throw so much food away.
Pour fats in an old glass jar to throw away.
Put rancid garbage (like a roast carcass) in a grocery sack and throw out immediately.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
You change your garbage once a week? You must not have kids :biglaugh:

Other suggestions:
Use a smaller garbage can.
Don't throw so much food away.
Pour fats in an old glass jar to throw away.
Put rancid garbage (like a roast carcass) in a grocery sack and throw out immediately.

No kids yet :D

I have a standard kitchen sized garbage can. I'm not going to get a smaller garbage can just so I can throw garbage away more often...

I don't throw much food away...that's why I have a garbage disposal

I already do that with fats. You shouldn't run fats through a garbage disposal anyway

And I don't throw many carcases away, so that's not really an issue.