Bracketology- Joe Lunardi

JackCyclone

Jan 31, 2013
Sorry if already posted/discussed, but wanna hear what some of ya'll think of this.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

I normally really enjoy following Joe Lunardi's Bracketology on ESPN throughout the season and generally agree with his placement of Iowa State over the past 6-7 years as the seasons have progressed, but this year I'm not quite sure I understand why he seems to be undervaluing the Clones pretty consistently.

Currently on the 5 seed line and I think we've been there the last handful of brackets he's released. I would guess right now Iowa State should probably be closer to being right on the border of a 3/4, especially considering their NCAA Net ranking currently- #13. More curious than anything.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
These projections are as valid and valuable as the paper they're written on. Be glad you're not a K-State fan if you value them one twit.

DiehardClone

Jan 29, 2014
I don't get too worked up over it with this many games left in the season.

If ISU keeps playing well and doesn't have any bad losses, I think they go into the Big 12 tournament a solid 3 or 4.

Keep winning and a 2 seed could be within reach, depending of course on how other teams perform.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
8804533.gif

Reactions: CyDegen

leschmick1785

Jul 12, 2013
Anyone else notice that Des Moines was a site for the KC regional in his last bracket and now its not? Are the first and second round locations moveable or did ESPN actually have the bracket set up wrong? ISU needing to be a two to be in DSM is a little discouraging.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Anyone else notice that Des Moines was a site for the KC regional in his last bracket and now its not? Are the first and second round locations moveable or did ESPN actually have the bracket set up wrong? ISU needing to be a two to be in DSM is a little discouraging.
The first/second round matchups are not attached to certain regions.

• Informative
Reactions: leschmick1785

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Bracketmatrix has us as the 2nd 5 seed.

Yep, I like following bracketmatrix as it is a composite of 100+ predictions (including Lunardi). But you cannot put much stock into them until about 2 weeks out.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

A lot of these prognosticators are basically sheep. I hope ISU makes the top 16 of the initial list the committee releases tomorrow. Then, magically, you will see more respect from Lunardi, et al.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Oh really... pardon my ignorance, but how do they make the final determination about which locations are tied to which regionals?
By whatever teams are assigned there. Lets say for example a good midwest team is placed in the West region. They might get a more favorable first and second round location, even if it doesn't make sense to place Columbus/Des Moines in the West. Or maybe a team like Virginia just goes on an absolute tear and gets the number 1 overall seed. They'd probably get the South Carolina first round site and than the Washington DC Regional for the East. The committee tries to help out the top 4 seed lines as much as possible.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Neutral-court wins over Tennessee and Michigan State will get you some credit. They don't drop teams just because they are struggling. They still have a very good resume'.
No, but they may drop you when you no longer have the same roster. Those wins may be discounted some by the Doke injury and now Vick being out.

At least when they dropped Cincinnati to a #2 seed, they could pretend like Martin’s injury didn’t significantly change that team. KU is 6-5 without Doke? Now Vick is gone.