Can Solomon Young get a medical redshirt?

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I think Conditt needs to redshirt next season, I really like the kid and if he put on 25-30 lbs of muscle he could be a real good post player. ISU would have 3 at the post spot next season.
Why? He's blocking shots at an elite rate when on the floor, he can run and while he got muscled around once during the Tech game he's also shown the ability to move guys off the block. I think its more him needing to learn the post as he spent most of his life as a guard. He might have the highest ceiling on the team and would almost certainly transfer if Prohm tried to red shirt him for a non medical reason.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Even in his limited health this year Young showed to be better than Jacobson already. Young isn’t transferring. He is a similar level as Lard just a different style big. One issue is a lot of Young’s talent is in the non stat sheet plays.
I don’t know if that’s true. Young is better than Jacobson and at a similar level as Lard, yet Jacobson is starting?

There’s room for all three to be major contributors, and without Shayok, Babb, and LW next year, perhaps there’s room for even four (Conditt) post contributors.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07
D

Deleted member 8507

Not going to be a popular post but this IMO sets him up for a grad transfer.
I think SY should do what is best for SY. With that, I think he truly loves being at ISU and probably has no plans to look elsewhere.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I think Conditt needs to redshirt next season, I really like the kid and if he put on 25-30 lbs of muscle he could be a real good post player. ISU would have 3 at the post spot next season.

Unless you're a terrible coach/recruiter nobody redshirts after they've already played unless it's for medical purposes. Hell nobody really redshirts anymore anyways unless it's for transferring or because of a medical issue

D

Deleted member 8507

Unless you're a terrible coach/recruiter nobody redshirts after they've already played unless it's for medical purposes. Hell nobody really redshirts anymore anyways unless it's for transferring or because of a medical issue
Except at TOE. They seem to redshirt 1-2 players every year.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Perhaps, but Jacobson will be gone his senior year.

I’m guessing the staff doesn’t see him as buried on the bench as much as CF does. And that’s before any improvements made during the next 21 months. Prohm mentioned last year that Young shooting 3Ps could be a thing.

Well, he did shoot 100% from three this year. ;)

Seriously though, that one he drained looked smooth and he took it without any hesitation. Didn't look anything like a "I'm in the game so I'm going to shoot it" , looked like part of the offense

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
You know who should redshirt next year? Jaxson Hayes. 6’11” but only 220lbs? He could really be a force in the post once he bulks up.

Sure, I suppose he could just be a lottery pick instead. But really, redshirting is the way to go. Kevin Durant could use a year, too.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I'd say it's hard to know much of anything about Young's future, there's no guarantee. He's got to get healthy first. He's had injury issues all three years, two being season-enders.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

You can't reshirt if you play even one minute unless it's a medical. They haven't gone the football route yet.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You know who should redshirt next year? Jaxson Hayes. 6’11” but only 220lbs? He could really be a force in the post once he bulks up.
Hays isn’t competing with 3 other good forwards for one spot. He’s starting every game and averaging 26 minutes in conference play.

The Conditt redshirting talk is in the context of having Jacobson, Lard, and Young while potentially still going small. Conditt doesn’t need a redshirt, and I don’t think he will. But if he’s still getting a lot of DNPs and averaging only 7 minutes/gm, there’s merit in thinking it’s worth trading that low contribution for a senior year in which he’s dominant.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I don’t know if that’s true. Young is better than Jacobson and at a similar level as Lard, yet Jacobson is starting?

There’s room for all three to be major contributors, and without Shayok, Babb, and LW next year, perhaps there’s room for four post contributors.
Lard has issues with fouling out. That is probably the single biggest reason he doesn’t start. I also like him off the bench as it seems to bring a ton of energy. Jacobson has been much better than I expected but he still isn’t very good defensively IMO. When he is contributing offensively and holding his own defensively like last night he is very useful. When he isn’t contributing offensively and struggling to defend the basket like against Texas or Kansas he is a liability. Young is a good defender in the post, although not a highlight shot blocker like Lard. He also has continued to develop his game offensively. He probably isn’t as good of a low post scorer but he stretches the floor better IMO because he is a better 3pt shooter.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Lard has issues with fouling out. That is probably the single biggest reason he doesn’t start. I also like him off the bench as it seems to bring a ton of energy. Jacobson has been much better than I expected but he still isn’t very good defensively IMO. When he is contributing offensively and holding his own defensively like last night he is very useful. When he isn’t contributing offensively and struggling to defend the basket like against Texas or Kansas he is a liability. Young is a good defender in the post, although not a highlight shot blocker like Lard. He also has continued to develop his game offensively. He probably isn’t as good of a low post scorer but he stretches the floor better IMO because he is a better 3pt shooter.
You may want to rewatch the first Kansas game.

Although different, Jacobson isn’t any more of a liability on defense than Lard. Fouling at a high rate is bad defense as much as it is a strategic reason to not start him. Jacobson has a better DRating than Lard, and although that metric is flawed, it’s flawed in the favor of someone like Lard that gets blocks.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
You may want to rewatch the first Kansas game.
Although different, Jacobson isn’t any more of a liability on defense than Lard.
I’d have to go rewatch the first Kansas game because I’m not remembering specifics of that one. In the second one which is the one I was talking about Lard fouled out in almost no time. Jacobson ended up playing most of the game and struggled to defend the basket. That was a game where we needed a defensive post. I argued Conditt should have gotten time but Jacobson wasn’t able to hold his own.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I’d have to go rewatch the first Kansas game because I’m not remembering specifics of that one. In the second one which is the one I was talking about Lard fouled out in almost no time. Jacobson ended up playing most of the game and struggled to defend the basket. That was a game where we needed a defensive post. I argued Conditt should have gotten time but Jacobson wasn’t able to hold his own.
Jacobson did better than Lard in Lawrence. Lard was so bad he couldn’t even stay in the game, which also fatigued and deteriorated Jacobson’s defense.

• Creative
Reactions: Urbandale2013

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
That wouldn't be good. Then he and Xavier would be competing for PT...:rolleyes:

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Jacobson did better than Lard in Lawrence. Lard was so bad he couldn’t even stay in the game, which also fatigued and deteriorated Jacobson’s defense.
Lard didn’t play well in Lawerence because he wasn’t on the floor due to his foul trouble but that doesn’t mean Jacobson’s defense was good. He was really nothing more than a body. He couldn’t stop anyone even though he was on the floor. With Lards play style you are going to have nights where he fouls out. He is still infinitely better than Jacobson defensively.

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

Help Support Us

Become a patron