Can Solomon Young get a medical redshirt?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by Win5002, Feb 5, 2019.

1. FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Ratings:
    +6,996 / 719 / -7
    I didn’t say Jacobson played well, I said he played better than Lard. That’s the context of this whole discussion.

Lard didn’t play well in Lawrence because he played so badly he fouled out. Being “nothing more than a body” is far better defense than fouling out in 6 minutes. You can’t play defense from the bench, and fouling the other team is rarely good.

There’s nothing that supports that Lard is infinitely better on defense than Jacobson, other than blocks, which is a very poor metric of defensive quality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Sales and marketing
    A pineapple under the sea
    Ratings:
    +36,834 / 1,731 / -127
    Probably depends on the composition of our guard court. I'm assuming that it will mostly be for one spot unless we have enough early entrants that the guard court is too shallow to run 4.

3. jereseib

jereseib Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +3,474 / 723 / -170
    Lard is a better defender, I don't know why people are still unsure about this. We have 1/2 of a Big 12 season gone to get an idea of how they will handle Big 12 posts. Would you rather have a guy blocking/altering a bunch of shots and fouling, or a guy constantly getting abused inside by Big 12 posts.

I think Jacobson is a better rebounder and has more offensive range, but Lard has shown the ability the last couple of games to make jumpers outside the paint.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. jereseib

jereseib Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +3,474 / 723 / -170
    Lol reading some of these comments. Conditt isnt redshirting and Solo isnt going to be buried on the bench next year. Conditt has already shown he can play in this league in limited minutes.

Solo is a 2 year starter, he wasn't healthy at all this year and Prohm tried his best to get him involved in the lineup right away when he came back and played alot in the Baylor game. Im sure next year he'll be demoted to the last spot on the bench. :rolleyes:

5. Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Washington, DC
    Ratings:
    +15,027 / 969 / -1
    I think we are going to *have* to play two traditional big men and/or some sort of hybrid-stretch man at the 4 next year given the composition of the roster.

Jacobson, Lard, Young, and Conditt are going to be too good to only play one of them.

This is especially true because we lose so much in the backcourt -- we are guaranteed to lose Nick and Marial, there is a good chance something happens with Wigginton, THT, or even TH and the NBA, and the guys behind them, while I am not giving up on them whatsoever, have not shown a ton so far. The balance of power on the roster is going to change.

We are even losing our eighth man in Talley, who is at least playing spot minutes.

Additionally, while I like our recruits, none of them have the star ratings attached to them, except for maybe Marcedus Leech if he returns to his form of yore, that scream "Day 1 starter in the Big 12" like they did for Wigginton and Horton-Tucker. Nixon coming off the redshirt from CSU/the MWC does not have the pedigree of Shayok coming out of UVA, as well.

Not as many good guards/more and better posts = need to start playing bigger again.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Pat

Pat Active Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Ratings:
    +571 / 19 / -0
    If we are playing two bigs, one of them has to be able to space the floor, one has to be able to defend a wing, and, ideally, the other could provide rim protection. Without wing defense and spacing, though, we’d get run off the floor.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Washington, DC
    Ratings:
    +15,027 / 969 / -1
    You just described my Conditt // Foster fantasy in a few years.

8. mjhavlo76

mjhavlo76 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +306 / 122 / -3
    You’re right!

• Disagree Disagree x 1