Recruiting Linebackers

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Several people on here have discussed our play at linebacker during the year.

The one position on our defense where we will be heavy in seniors next year is linebacker. Based on current situation, it appears we're really recruiting the linebacker position hard, similar to our recruiting OL the first year and DB last year.

Our current depth chart shows Bell, Ferguson, Hamlin, Matthews, Moser as our future. We have AJ Klein and Ryan Moseby already committed, but i did see two players that jumped out on the recruiting page.

Brandin Hawthorne (Soft verbal to Michigan coming for a visit)
Norman Griffith

The key link to these two, is chizik from Pahokee or clearwater? I thought that Board in Florida had something about Pahokee on it...

Hawthorne is pretty highly rated, it would be a great lb class to get him added to the two we already have verballed.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Mike Marry would be another good pick up at LB, but I am having trouble finding any updates on him so I don't know where we stand with him.

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
I think we'll take four linebackers this year. As mentioned, we have two 3* LBs committed and have a chance at a few more. Mike Marry would be a huge get, and it sounds like he wants to visit Iowa State. He goes to Largo, which is where Leonard Johnson came from.

Justin Isadore and Brandin Hawthorne are 3* recruits who have both commited to other programs, but they are still visiting and they have offers from multiple quality BCS conference schools.

Other possibilities are 3* Justin Jones (who goes to school with 4* DT Corey Gaines) and 2* Rashad Smith (who goes to school with 3* DT Akeem Spence).

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Have to say I don't think for a minute that Mosby will be a linebacker. I think he's one of Gene's new wave of safeties. Of course, I've been wrong before.:wink:

clonefan_80

May 28, 2007
Ames
Have to say I don't think for a minute that Mosby will be a linebacker. I think he's one of Gene's new wave of safeties. Of course, I've been wrong before.:wink:

Personally, I would recruit a lot of HS outside linebackers. They come into the program as fast, rangy ATHLETES.

If they have trouble gaining weight, make them a nice big SS.

If they gain weight normally, you have yourself an OLB.

And if they really pack on the pounds, you have a freakish DE with super quick feet.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
what does a college coach do in this situation. is a letter to the family enough? i think a visit would be in order, possibly even attend the funeral.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
This is too bad to hear. Never like hearing about stuff like this when someone still has so much of their life ahead of them. I do warn anyone from reading the reader comments to this story, it is the biggest mess of idiotic comments I have ever seen and wish I wouldn't have strayed.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
This is too bad to hear. Never like hearing about stuff like this when someone still has so much of their life ahead of them. I do warn anyone from reading the reader comments to this story, it is the biggest mess of idiotic comments I have ever seen and wish I wouldn't have strayed.
wow no kidding. i went and looked after readying your post. stopped after i had read 5 of the 109. the media source needs to regulate these before they go on their site.

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
According to a post on Rivals, it turns out that Griffith had commited to Iowa State last night before his game. Here is the post.

"here is the story. dropping a girl off after the homecoming dance. car rolls up and asked him how was the game and what he did. then he was asked what was he going to do in the muck bowl. replied hopefully he will ball out like he did last year. someone screamed no you wont, and he was shot in the head.

the shooters are a gang called the jac boyz. they are also responsible for shooting a glades central kid earlier this week.

norman had just committed to iowa state before the game friday everning."

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
"here is the story. dropping a girl off after the homecoming dance. car rolls up and asked him how was the game and what he did. then he was asked what was he going to do in the muck bowl. replied hopefully he will ball out like he did last year. someone screamed no you wont, and he was shot in the head.

the shooters are a gang called the jac boyz. they are also responsible for shooting a glades central kid earlier this week.

norman had just committed to iowa state before the game friday everning."

I don't know how much truth is in that, but regardless, thats just sad. I just don't get people sometimes. What would ever drive you to kill someone over something trivial like a football game? :no:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron