Perdictions for ISU's Attendence at the Alamo Bowl?

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I’m going with 23k.

I don’t believe more people buy from sources outside the AD. I’d guess it’s a 2:1 favoring purchases through the AD.

I disagree, here are my reasons (admittedly, some are very much anecdotal):

1) If you aren't a high donor, it doesn't make much sense to buy thru ISU (other than selling out the allotment to look good for future bowls, which was never a question). The ISU allotted tickets for this game seem even worse than those for the Liberty last year, and how many people (some of which donate quite bit) have expressed unhappiness with their tickets from last year?

2) Ticket City is the only 3rd party site I've seen publish sales figures, and their data says the Alamo is the best selling outside of NY6, and of those sales over 50% have come from the state of Iowa (only 4% from Washington).

3) My group of 7 bought through StubHub, and judging by the price differences on each side of the stadium, A LOT of other cyclones have done the same.

Go STATE, looking forward to being there with 30k+!

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I think this will be the largest turnout for ISU in bowl history. Maybe 45K.

-It's driveable (even if its a long day)
-ranked opponent
-located in/near a large supportive cyclone club for local ISU fans that will show up.
-best bowl clones have made since....the peach bowl?
-general excitement about the team is still high despite the ugliness of the Drake game ended the season strong
-GREAT city with warm climate
-expectations of making a bowl were there preseason so people were budgeting and planning for it who might go.

There were 30Kish for a return trip to Memphis to play a local g5 team in their home stadium. Memphis is fun but in a cold weather environment and was a repeat factors make it less appealing.

Outside of a New Year's 6 game or a playoff I can't imagine another bowl checking all the boxes the Alamo Bowl does for fan appeal. Infromal polling of my friends is anecdotal but every friend I have that goes to games is going to San Antonio.

There weren’t 30k in Memphis. Low 20s. Maybe 23k. It’ll be similar in SA.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
There weren’t 30k in Memphis. Low 20s. Maybe 23k. It’ll be similar in SA.
Liberty seats 58k and I think the crowd was prettty split. Some Memphis fans on the ISU side and some ISU on the Memphis side but all in all pretty close.
Even if we had 45% that’s over 26k.
Flyover happened at the beginning when a lot of us we’re in the bathroom since we had a zillion beers at the tailgate buffet.
Remember the seats there are blue silver so empties may look like Memphis had a lot more fans than they did.
DSWab5vV4AAAU7P.jpg

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Liberty seats 58k and I think the crowd was prettty split. Some Memphis fans on the ISU side and some ISU on the Memphis side but all in all pretty close.
Even if we had 45% that’s over 26k.
Flyover happened at the beginning when a lot of us we’re in the bathroom since we had a zillion beers at the tailgate buffet.
Remember the seats there are blue silver so empties may look like Memphis had a lot more fans than they did.
DSWab5vV4AAAU7P.jpg

Honestly think this picture supports my 23k estimate. Looks 60-40 blue vs red. 40% of 60k is 24k and there weren’t 60k in the stadium.
Would also guess not everyone in red is an ISU fan. They just happened to have red clothing on...jacket or whatever.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Honestly think this picture supports my 23k estimate. Looks 60-40 blue vs red. 40% of 60k is 24k and there weren’t 60k in the stadium.
Would also guess not everyone in red is an ISU fan. They just happened to have red clothing on...jacket or whatever.
Agree to disagree. I think we had about 45% to half the stadium.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfamily

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Splitting hairs.. there were 25k+ isu fans in Memphis..

There are alot of IsU alum in Texas.. betting there are close to 28-30k isu fans at Alamo when all is said and done..

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I will go with there will be a bunch of ISU fans and they will drink a lot of beer. At this point it is pretty hard to make a real determination because the only way you can track ticket sales outside of ISU ticket office is by other organizations listing where tickets were bought from. Just guessing I would say around 23-25K. The university is on track to sell 14K so that leaves 9-11K from other sources, which does not seem like a lot. As others have pointed out, if you are not a donor, in the booster club, have the ISU bowl package or just want ISU to make their allotment there is no reason to buy bad tickets by going through ISU. There are a lot of Iowans in Texas, so that will probably boost the number of fans that do not go through ISU.

In the end the only way you will be able to even guess is by getting a shot of the crowd.

Does anyone know how many tickets have been bought though ticket city? Would it be logical to guess that most of those are being bought by ISU fans?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
The ability of this fan base to overestimate attendance is amazing.

We will have a lot of fans there. It will be a great showing compared to other fan bases but it won’t be 30k-40k as some are guessing.

You think just over 20,000? I'll take the over every day of the week and twice on Sunday good lord willin'....

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I’m an engineer. Numbers, estimates, and accuracy matters.

You seem to underestimate and that makes me nervous if you had any hand in building anything that I rely on - like planes, cars, roads, buildings.... Hopefully you're an IE so it doesn't have any impact on anyone's actual lives.

Sorry to the REAL imaginary engineers on this board! :)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, seems pretty silly for "isu's no1 fan" to argue so adamantly that his team will have fewer fans than estimated. Especially when it's not crazy to think that he's absolutely wrong in his thinking.

So can we be excited about the game or no?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron