Oregon-Iowa basketball

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Good win for the hoks, but I still feel a team with good guards will give them fits. Lack of athleticism on the perimeter will be what causes them problems, especially if mad fran insists on extending his defense.

• Useful
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Was his dad really either? He blocked shots, but that was mostly because he was half a foot taller than the other team’s tallest player.
Also, he was intimidating. Don't forget that he killed a lion with his bare hands (with a spear anyway) to protect his tribe's herd.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Oregon looked bad but this will end up being a quality win. There is a reason Oregon was picked to win the PAC-12. Like others have said they were down 2 of their top recruits, King who is a 5-star only played 2 minutes. Pritchard had a terrible shooting night which didnt help their cause.

I certainly dont think they are the 13th best team right now but this is a team that when they put everything together will be contending for the conference title.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Oregon looked bad but this will end up being a quality win. There is a reason Oregon was picked to win the PAC-12. Like others have said they were down 2 of their top recruits, King who is a 5-star only played 2 minutes. Pritchard had a terrible shooting night which didnt help their cause.

I certainly dont think they are the 13th best team right now but this is a team that when they put everything together will be contending for the conference title.

Great hok hot take from a great hok fan. Great win guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyTwins

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
My biggest take away from this and it has been stated a million times:

Pre-season rankings are DUMB! I think the College Football Playoff is the best concept for establishing a ranking. Let a couple weeks pass first.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If those 4 guys are out, it's an L for us. Too much inexperience. If Lard and Talley play, I like our chances.

Did you see Iowa against UMKC or Green Bay? They didn't look like they did last night. They'll have nerd rage in their favor, and a large crowd of free pizza lovers, but I still think we have a good shot either way.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
From the 35 minutes of watching this game, I think Oregon looked similar to Missouri - not very good - but it was a good win for their opponent. I am not going to call the game with the Hoks a win for us 'cuz, as others have stated, we will be short-handed. We have the ability to beat them, but it will be a bit harder outside the confines of Hilton. Our performance in Maui will give me a better idea of this team as well.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

Because it is probably a two-bid league this year.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

King didn't play

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
From the little I saw, Jorbo sort of looked like an actual point guard last night. I'll assume that game is the exception that proves the rule. If Weiler-Babb gaurds him, he might come out of the game against us with PTSD.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Good win for the Hawks, but my goodness did I walk away unimpressed by Oregon. Fran nailed it about mid-way through the first half-- they don't have anyone that can break you down. Pritchard had a bad game, and while you can see Bol Bol's potential he wasn't that great in the game. As mentioned above by someone, reminded me of our game against Mizzou. A good win against a team that will probably round into shape later on, but who played very poorly on the night we played them.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
First time I saw the Hogeyes and they look improved from last year:

+ better defense, but that junk zone only worked because O shot < 30%, still the zone bothered them..
+ Iowa is a good offensive rebounding team; they have length and are pesky on position.
+ Cook has bulked up; probably still can't hit a knock-down 10 footer, but he's a hoss going to the rim.
+ Bohannon (sp?) is a knock-down shooter and FT; that's his only purpose in life and he does it well.
+ excellent FT shooting team.
Not what I wanted to see to feel confident we win in Carver. I'll have to see how we perform in Maui, but If we don't hit shots - and my opinion is still out if we'll be a good shooting team - we will look like O. If Lard plays, he could be contained, as Iowa contained Bol and their power forward. We need Wiggs and Lard at full strength - and even then this will be a pick-em.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If those 4 guys are out, it's an L for us. Too much inexperience. If Lard and Talley play, I like our chances.

If TH, THT, and NWB are all full strength they should be able to hold things together on Iowa's guards. They don't like it when someone guards them.

Also any of Iowa's bigs would need to play lights out in defending Jacobson. Saw Ernie hit a couple of threes last night so maybe that's a concern.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
From the little I saw, Jorbo sort of looked like an actual point guard last night. I'll assume that game is the exception that proves the rule. If Weiler-Babb gaurds him, he might come out of the game against us with PTSD.

He only had 4 turnovers which is pretty good for him. Also made one 3

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
First time I saw the Hogeyes and they look improved from last year:

+ better defense, but that junk zone only worked because O shot < 30%, still the zone bothered them..
+ Iowa is a good offensive rebounding team; they have length and are pesky on position.
+ Cook has bulked up; probably still can't hit a knock-down 10 footer, but he's a hoss going to the rim.
+ Bohannon (sp?) is a knock-down shooter and FT; that's his only purpose in life and he does it well.
+ excellent FT shooting team.
Not what I wanted to see to feel confident we win in Carver. I'll have to see how we perform in Maui, but If we don't hit shots - and my opinion is still out if we'll be a good shooting team - we will look like O. If Lard plays, he could be contained, as Iowa contained Bol and their power forward. We need Wiggs and Lard at full strength - and even then this will be a pick-em.

I didn't see much difference in Cook last night from years past. A few explosive plays at the rim, but still complete lack of a back-to-the-basket game and an inability to make a 10 foot jumper.

The first few minutes of the second half were Cook in a nutshell. Airballed turnaround 5 footer, travel, sweet dunk and bricked 7 foot wide open jumper.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I didn't see much difference in Cook last night from years past. A few explosive plays at the rim, but still complete lack of a back-to-the-basket game and an inability to make a 10 foot jumper.

The first few minutes of the second half were Cook in a nutshell. Airballed turnaround 5 footer, travel, sweet dunk and bricked 7 foot wide open jumper.

There's a reason he wasn't a top 70 recruit with that athleticism and size