On That Note - Decades, 1950's and Before

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Hello all and welcome back to another installment of On That Note. A music-focused forum posting hosted alternately by @cyclones500, @CycloneRulzzz and myself. Here is last weeks offering from Rulzzz - Scary Good Songs:

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/on-that-note-scary-good-songs.242447/

Bouncing around ideas amongst ourselves we decided to this week launch a series based on decades of music. For us it seemed logical to begin with the 1950's but we in no way intend to exclude anything earlier, should you decide you want to post a more vintage performance.

We also discussed how to format the series. Should it be your favorite songs from the decade? Songs that seem more evocative? Or maybe even your unknown deep track gems? Should we limit it to one or two songs per artist or leave it wide open?

Basically we've left it open. We are requesting NOT all Elvis in the 50's or all Beatles in the 60's, etc. Try to limit your posting to one song per artist per decade. Thanks and have fun.

Me personally? I always prefer to push my favorite underappreciated songs on you. So of course that will be my angle - at least to start the ball rolling for the topic today.

Buddy Holly and the Crickets are legend and rightly so. So influential to so many who came after. Their first biggest hit was That'll Be the Day. I'm extremely partial to the B-Side, I'm Looking for Someone to Love. Love the line,"Drunk man, street car; foot slipped, there you are." With the drum hit right at the "foot slipped" part. Classic Holly/Crickets 50's rock and roll.

One sub-genre of 50's and early 60's music is doo-wop. This is probably my favorite doo-wop song. Released on Chess records - the same people who brought us all those classic Chuck Berry hits in the 50's and 60's. This song and performance are SO perfectly typical of the genre and the times. And the ending is just sweet icing on the 'period' cake. This could ONLY be a 50's record!

Party and rockabilly go hand in hand. This generally unknown rockabilly gem was written by Ray Doggett and performed by Royce Porter (and the Kounts). (Royce just passed this year of 2018 so a bit of timeliness there for you.) If you want your party to start out with everyone out on the dance floor I can't think of a better choice. This sucka ROCKS.

Another little know rocking gem with a bit of a swampy Louisiana flavor to it is this tune by John Fred and his Playboys from 1958. Yes, THAT John Fred of Judy In Disguise (With Glasses) fame in 1967. This one did actually chart nationally, peaking at #82 in early 1959.

Sort of the heir apparent to the Little Richard performing/song style Larry Williams often gets short shrift in the appreciation category. Signed to Specialty Records, the same label Little Richard was with, makes the comparison automatic for many. But his Dizzy Miss Lizzy was covered by the Beatles and I know they specifically were fans. This was the first disc by him I happened to own so always holds a bit of a special place for me.

Please post up to 5 1950's songs that you like or have a special memory for you.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
1959, just makes your '50's decade. Was the waiting on hold music when I call the Audi dealership on the phone this morning. Wasn't an "elevator music" version either, was Brubecks. :)

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I actually own the 45 of this. Think it's the only '50's song I have vinyl of other than some novelty songs in a box somewhere. Uncle had a coin machine distribution biz and that included juke boxes so we used to get some of the throwaway worn out records.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
This one displays my sentimental, sappy side. I do want to point at the Nat King Cole's voice is extremely easy on your ears.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron