Solid B1G Defense Today

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Those stats are nearly useless. That is taking the entire college pool then applying it to very specific situations. Each team has variable success predicated on far to many variables to broadly classify chasing points as good or bad.

Sure, but the PAT is *always* the higher percentage play, and the chance has to be at least 50% to make a 2-point conversion worth trying at all (unless it's a situation where you have no choice). It's not worth the risk at that stage of the game. I thought it was a bad idea before they snapped it, and I knew as soon as it failed that it was going to come back to haunt them. There is absolutely no reason to chase points 5 minutes after halftime, unless you're a coach that goes for two most of the time.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38 and Acylum

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Yep, I didn't read it carefully enough, although I agree, the chances of making a 2 pt conversion is not great, so you shouldn't go for it if you don't have too. On the other hand, PU was first and goal at the 5 with more than a minute left in the game, so it isn't too far fetched to imagine they could have gotten a TD in the end.

It's not far-fetched to think they'd have scored a touchdown in that situation, but I'll take the chances of Iowa getting a stop and forcing a game-tying field goal over having to pray for a block on a potential game-winning chip shot.

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Sure, but the PAT is *always* the higher percentage play, and the chance has to be at least 50% to make a 2-point conversion worth trying at all (unless it's a situation where you have no choice). It's not worth the risk at that stage of the game. I thought it was a bad idea before they snapped it, and I knew as soon as it failed that it was going to come back to haunt them. There is absolutely no reason to chase points 5 minutes after halftime, unless you're a coach that goes for two most of the time.

Your last line is the key.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Nate Stanley is so fat that the last time his landlord saw him, he doubled the rent!
Nate Stanley is so fat his chins have chins of their own.

Nate Stanley is so fat he's had chicken pox five times in his life.

Nate Stanley is so fat, Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating contest is actually named after him.

Nate Stanley was so fat as a baby, his diaper brand was Depends.

Reactions: SCyclone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Calling out your back 7 when you couldn't do your own job is a bad look IMO. Sounds like the rumors of a fractured locker room could be true

Mayve if the d-line was good enough to not need 3 linebackers in the game, you could get a safety to help.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Calling out your back 7 when you couldn't do your own job is a bad look IMO. Sounds like the rumors of a fractured locker room could be true

Translation: I'm an Iowa fan and can't figure out how a team played to their strengths but went away from ours.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and irish

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He makes it seem as though Purdue invented the forward pass today.
Well, playing in the BIg10 West is likely to make a competent forward pass seem like an oddity. Guess it's hard to imagine a defensive front dominating in a game where they give up 38 points, lose, and have one sack.

• Funny
  • Winner
Reactions: VeloClone and kbud

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Welcome back @tm3308 long time no posts. hope life has been going well for you.

It's been busy. I've been working full time in a call center to pay the bills (and hating every second of it), taking a couple classes a semester at Iowa (went back in 2016 because my journalism degree wasn't getting me work), and working part time as a photographer for the athletic department (so my venting here needs to stay between us ;)). I just don't have as much free time as I used to, but I try to check back in around here at least one in a blue moon.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's been busy. I've been working full time in a call center to pay the bills (and hating every second of it), taking a couple classes a semester at Iowa (went back in 2016 because my journalism degree wasn't getting me work), and working part time as a photographer for the athletic department (so my venting here needs to stay between us ;)). I just don't have as much free time as I used to, but I try to check back in around here at least one in a blue moon.

Say what!? :)

Sorry to hear that...it sucks when good work goes into something that gets so difficult to find work in.

• Agree
Reactions: tm3308

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

As a fellow journalism major, I feel you, bro.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Regardless of the Iowa game outcome if I'm not mistaken, if Northwestern beats Minnesota and Indiana who both blow, they will win the west. Good for them. Fitzgerald does a great job there and deserves the chance to play for a Big 10 title.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Good luck TM, still the best Hawk poster by a mile.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Good luck TM, still the best Hawk poster by a mile.

I do my best lol. I actually just got a job as a photographer for a newspaper in Wisconsin that starts in December. Can't say I'm thrilled to be moving to Wisconsin ("**** Wisconsin" is practically my motto and may well be etched on my tombstone), but I'm looking forward to having a camera in my hands full-time.

Reactions: NWICY and GTO

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I do my best lol. I actually just got a job as a photographer for a newspaper in Wisconsin that starts in December. Can't say I'm thrilled to be moving to Wisconsin ("**** Wisconsin" is practically my motto and may well be etched on my tombstone), but I'm looking forward to having a camera in my hands full-time.
Wisconsin is a beautiful state, depending on where you're at. As you can tell by my avatar, that's not an easy admission.

Reactions: NWICY and tm3308