Solid B1G Defense Today

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Sure, but the PAT is *always* the higher percentage play, and the chance has to be at least 50% to make a 2-point conversion worth trying at all (unless it's a situation where you have no choice). It's not worth the risk at that stage of the game. I thought it was a bad idea before they snapped it, and I knew as soon as it failed that it was going to come back to haunt them. There is absolutely no reason to chase points 5 minutes after halftime, unless you're a coach that goes for two most of the time.
One variable you may have left out - sometimes a team has a kicker who sucks at PATs...

• Agree
Reactions: tm3308

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
It's been busy. I've been working full time in a call center to pay the bills (and hating every second of it), taking a couple classes a semester at Iowa (went back in 2016 because my journalism degree wasn't getting me work), and working part time as a photographer for the athletic department (so my venting here needs to stay between us ;)). I just don't have as much free time as I used to, but I try to check back in around here at least one in a blue moon.
I noticed the new job when I spotted you yesterday. Hope things start looking up for you soon in the job market...although being an AD photographer might get you close-up looks at some of your teams. That may or may not be a good thing! ;)

Reactions: tm3308

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
There is not a fan base in the country that has seen their team slime out and win more games that they had no business winning than Iowa.

You are probably right. **** them if they think they have it bad.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Calling out your back 7 when you couldn't do your own job is a bad look IMO. Sounds like the rumors of a fractured locker room could be true

Natural reaction after he's been reading CF press clippings that the TOE's DL will be the best Purdue has seen all year.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
You are probably right. **** them if they think they have it bad.

If you watch them at all, you know how they always have half a dozen freak plays bounce in their direction. Two years ago WI QB tripped over his pulling guards foot and fumbled at the 5 right at the end of the game when they were going in to score the winning TD. Several times I have seen them fumble and the ball bounces right to one of their guys. That crap is not falling their way this year, so now they are the victim.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

giphy.gif

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Yesterdays results for B1G where they play real defense:
Ohio State / Nebraska totaled 931 yards
Purdue / Iowa totaled totaled 827 yards
Wisconsin / Rutgers totaled 806 yards
Illinois / Minnesota totaled 1,084 yards
First Place Northwestern gave up 464 yards to ND

Now, to be fair, Maryland was held by MSU to 100 yards total. But I think we all know that has more to do with the dumpster fire that is Maryland. Also, I do not list any MIchigan games because they are the one team that actually does play real defense in the B1G.

Also, I heard on one of the ESPN TV shows yesterday one of the analysts referred to the Big 12 as "defense-optional" and one of his counterparts actually said, "Hey, wait a minute, do you ever take into consideration that they have a lot of really good offenses in the conference?" I don't recall who it was but glad to see someone on national TV actually admit it.

• Winner
Reactions: ATCy and JP4CY

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If you watch them at all, you know how they always have half a dozen freak plays bounce in their direction. Two years ago WI QB tripped over his pulling guards foot and fumbled at the 5 right at the end of the game when they were going in to score the winning TD. Several times I have seen them fumble and the ball bounces right to one of their guys. That crap is not falling their way this year, so now they are the victim.

They also have the Drew Tate hail mary prayer in that one bowl game against LSU.

UNI needing just a last second FG to beat Iowa, missed it but Iowa was offsides or something so they got another shot, and then Iowa blocked the 2nd one. That was so lucky.

I've never seen a team pull out so many lucky wins in my life. That's why I thought for sure Purdue would miss that game winning FG yesterday.