Iowa Hot Take: Big 10 Contraction

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Yes, it was stupid for the Big Ten to add Maryland and Rutgers. One of the dumbest ideas ever concocted.

Adding Nebraska was smart at the time, but I do think it was a bad decision longterm for their fanbase and programs. They don't have the feel of a Big Ten school.

Having said all that, nothing will change unless there is massive amageddon across all conferences. I know everyone is targeting the 2022-2023 timeframe for that, but I don't think it is going to happen. Not in the form of conference realignment anyway.
West Virginia says hi

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
If that goes down the Big 12 has to take Nebraska if they are available. Geography will at some point play into it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
West Virginia says hi
WV alone last year won as many NCAA bball tourney games as Fran has his entire tenure at Iowa.
And football isn't even close. WV is better than N, Rutgers, and Maryland.

TBH besides Mizzou's first football years in the SEC with their B12 players, WV might be one of the better successes in realignment.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
WV alone last year won as many NCAA bball tourney games as Fran has his entire tenure at Iowa.
And football isn't even close. WV is better than N, Rutgers, and Maryland.

TBH besides Mizzou's first football years in the SEC with their B12 players, WV might be one of the better successes in realignment.
WV is successful no doubt. I was alluding to them not fitting geographically...I’d like the conferences to be aligned more along those lines quite frankly and I don’t much care for the Maryland and Rutgers adds for that reason. Would have liked Pitt/Mizzou

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
WV is successful no doubt. I was alluding to them not fitting geographically...I’d like the conferences to be aligned more along those lines quite frankly and I don’t much care for the Maryland and Rutgers adds for that reason. Would have liked Pitt/Mizzou

Agreed, I liked the original big XII alignment. Texas schools a bit far, but N, the kansas schools, mizzou, and even CO and the OK teams werent terrible drives. I just don't see anything changing the alignment for while and don't see geography mattering to the conferences anymore.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
The day you stop being called Iowa State or having our logo put on TV instead of yours, that’s when you’ll be nationally relevant. Until then, just shut the **** up and deal with the fact that nobody cares about Iowa or Iowa State at a national level.

People were saying that Iowa brings just as much to a conference as ISU. I was just saying that isn’t true. Iowa brings more to a conference than ISU. Not saying Iowa is a national power. So unless you can follow along with the conversation, keep out of this discussion cause you have no idea what are referencing.

• Funny
Reactions: TykeClone and GTO

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Agreed, I liked the original big XII alignment. Texas schools a bit far, but N, the kansas schools, mizzou, and even CO and the OK teams werent terrible drives. I just don't see anything changing the alignment for while and don't see geography mattering to the conferences anymore.
If they ever went to 4 16 team super conferences (heaven forbid) I’d want ISU added to the BIG. I’m definitely in the minority on that but it’d make great sense geographically and personally I don’t want ISU left out in the cold in a major realignment . Thought that might happen a couple years ago but don’t think it’s very likely anymore. Unless Texas or Oklahoma do something crazy

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The geography is difficult. Knowing Pennsylvania, let me tell you, Pitt doesnt add a lot since you have PSU. WV, VT would add more to the B1G than Pitt.
When the B12 added them, I would definitely have preferred Louisville over TCU.

• Informative
Reactions: dexterhawk

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If they ever went to 4 16 team super conferences (heaven forbid) I’d want ISU added to the BIG. I’m definitely in the minority on that but it’d make great sense geographically and personally I don’t want ISU left out in the cold in a major realignment . Thought that might happen a couple years ago but don’t think it’s very likely anymore. Unless Texas or Oklahoma do something crazy

ISU would never get left out. Iowa on the other hand...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I think its good to have to D1 schools in the state, especially P5s. With recruiting I believe both can survive. The Fry contingency (group that is still drinking his kool aid that the Iowa BOR should make ISU drop to a lower level to help Iowa) are the only ones that I know that don't truthfully believe this.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Eight 9 team "districts" based on geography and historic rivalry (72 teams)
3 cross district games
11 game regular season (maybe throw in an FCS or G5 money game and make it 12 games)
3 weekend playoff from the 8 "district" winners
Bowls sprinkled in - with the big bowls on the bye weekend between semi's and championship.

It actually makes sense, so it will never happen.

I agree, should be based on geography and tradition. I like the 9 team conferences/divisions, but I would only have 7 of them (63 total). Then you play a 8 game conference schedule, you are required to play 3 other Power teams and then you can schedule 1 pre season game (doesn't count, but you can play a MAC or FCS team to warm up). Win your conference you are in and there is 1 at large team that makes it (always seems to be a great team that just doesn't win their division each year).

This creates better games all year long, with top non conference matchups that don't ruin your season if you lose them as you can still win your conference.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
ISU would never get left out. Iowa on the other hand...
I don’t think there’s much danger of ISU being left out anymore. A couple years ago I thought differently....

I thought they would be going the super conference route which personally I don’t like....don’t think that’s really in the cards anymore

Oh, and Iowa’s safe :)

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
I don’t think there’s much danger of ISU being left out anymore. A couple years ago I thought differently....

I thought they would be going the super conference route which personally I don’t like....don’t think that’s really in the cards anymore

Oh, and Iowa’s safe :)

With the TV model 5 years ago, ISU was absolutely in jeopardy. Not that they don't have enough support, it just wasn't a big enough TV market. Now as streaming is taking over, I don't see there being any danger of an ISU, Iowa or any other schools that is top 35-40 in attendance/support would be left out.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

The Texas schools aren't even terribly far. When we went to Akron last year it was the same as going to DFW.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Selfishly for road trips, would love to have Nebraska and Missouri back.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
There's no way either us or Iowa get left out going forward. Both have AAU status, and large, engaged fanbases. In the era of cord cutting that makes you far more valuable than schools like Rutgers, Maryland, or half the ACC that sit in large media markets but have no fan interest.

Iowa also has the benefit of being in the second most stable conference.