Iowa Hot Take: Big 10 Contraction

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Pitt to the B1G. Maryland and WVU to the ACC. Nebby back to B12. Baylor and Rutgers to D2.
Eh, if we're going to do massive realignment, I'd want to basically reshuffle a lot of the p5 to make more historical/geographic sense. Big 10 back to 10 (so get rid of Nebraska, PSU, Rutgers, and Maryland), the Big 8 plus two Texas schools or Arkansas, Maryland back to the ACC, the Northern ACC schools, PSU, WVU, and Rutgers to a new Big East.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
As stated earlier, Baylor would be a great fit with Penn State, Michigan State, Ohio State, Rutgers and Maryland. All we need to do is come up with a name...

You’ve got Baylor, PSU & MSU in the pedorapists division. OSU, Rutgers, and MD in the beaten and dehyrdated division. Division winners meet in the prestigious Unwanted Sexual advances Bowl for the black eye for your wife trophy.

• Creative
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Eight 9 team "districts" based on geography and historic rivalry (72 teams)
3 cross district games
11 game regular season (maybe throw in an FCS or G5 money game and make it 12 games)
3 weekend playoff from the 8 "district" winners
Bowls sprinkled in - with the big bowls on the bye weekend between semi's and championship.

It actually makes sense, so it will never happen.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Interesting you say "Huck the Fuskers" while wanting Mizzou and CU back - when it was Mizzou that destabilized the conference by whoring itself out to the Big 10 in the first place, only to sell itself to the SEC in the end, and CU had wanted to go to the Pac 10 for decades.
It has to do with my dislike of the Huskers in general. Although given the situation, if the roles were reversed, we would of been tickled pink to jump ship at that time. Not saying we would of went the route of Mizzou.

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006
My favorite quote regarding Rutgers and the Big 10, "When you ***** yourself out for money, you have to live with the occasional STD."

Reactions: CascadeClone

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Check out game ratings, making bowl games, how much Iowa's football program is worth, etc...
The day you stop being called Iowa State or having our logo put on TV instead of yours, that’s when you’ll be nationally relevant. Until then, just shut the **** up and deal with the fact that nobody cares about Iowa or Iowa State at a national level.

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
The day you stop being called Iowa State or having our logo put on TV instead of yours, that’s when you’ll be nationally relevant. Until then, just shut the **** up and deal with the fact that nobody cares about Iowa or Iowa State at a national level.

This happens to Michigan and Michigan State sometimes too. Does that mean that neither of those programs is relevant either?

• Funny
Reactions: Rural

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
This happens to Michigan and Michigan State sometimes too. Does that mean that neither of those programs is relevant either?
Two successful powerhouse programs? Sure. However, you’re suggesting “historic, national brand” Iowa is confused with lowly Iowa State? Has anyone on TV ever confused Ohio State with Ohio or Texas with Texas State?

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Two successful powerhouse programs? Sure. However, you’re suggesting “historic, national brand” Iowa is confused with lowly Iowa State? Has anyone on TV ever confused Ohio State with Ohio or Texas with Texas State?

I mean someone was pumping one over herbie calling tOSU Iowa State the other night. So it happens I spose

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: Rural

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018

Hey, you’re the one comparing Iowa State to Ohio and Texas State, not me.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron