NFL: Beth Mowins on MNF

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
No way I can watch a whole year of her on MNF. She is the worst. At some point I think we have to start wondering what kind of bad info she has on the heads at ESPN to keep getting jobs. Nobody likes her and she keeps getting the best gigs.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I can't think of anyone I enjoy on MNF to begin with. They've really gone downhill and after football Th-Sun night their schtick is just overkill.

Typically I'd watch MNF to relax and it's hard to with all the hype machines yelling.

Give me Sunday night on NBC and I'm good.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
It was bad in the few minutes I watched, but who did the second game? It was worse. I tuned into it for a few minutes and it was mostly silence and when I did hear someone talking, they sounded like they had never commentated a game before. It was awful.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
That had to be the worst game I have ever heard for a MNF game. Just no enthusiasm or joking around. It was like neither one wanted to talk to each other. You could hear crickets chirping between their conversations. It just seemed really awkward.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Beth is horrible, and my opinion has nothing to do with her being a woman.

That said, I think she's only getting the gigs BECAUSE she is a woman. ESPN keeps going for more and more political correctness and their ratings keep going down, down, down. I hope it was worth it.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
Anyone who complains about Beth is a sexist and the product of the oppressive patriarchy and it's brainwashing. The need for diversity and such. Don't think so? The NY Times ran this article a year ago the first time she called a MNF game: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/sports/nfl-beth-mowins-julie-dicaro.html

The veteran N.F.L. reporter Andrea Kremer said she was hardly surprised by the backlash against Mowins’s play-by-play on the sport’s biggest stage. “I have no doubt that ‘hating the sound of her voice’ is code for ‘I hate that there was a woman announcing football,’” Kremer told me.

Much of the social-media discussion of Mowins’s voice was preceded by the always dubious claim that the criticism had nothing to do with the fact that Mowins was a woman. Setting aside that starting a tweet with “I’m not sexist, but” usually ensures that what follows will be sexist, it’s hard to imagine how to separate Mowins the woman from Mowins the voice. Beth Mowins sounds like a woman.

“The negative online reaction to Mowins’s play-by-play calling football games is steeped in sexism,” said Rebecca Martinez, who teaches women’s and gender studies at the University of Missouri. “The comments, mostly from men, have focused on her voice being annoying to the point of not wanting to listen to her. They’ll focus on the naturally higher pitch of women’s voices and ‘shrillness,’ all the while claiming their critiques of higher pitch have nothing to do with sexism. Women who have high visibility, particularly in settings that are traditionally male, will experience backlash.”

I watch a lot of Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN, and I like listening to Jessica Mendoza and what she adds to the broadcast. Conversely, I hate Alex Rodriguez because I can't stand his voice. Add that to the fact that he isn't that good at his job of adding color analysis to the broadcast and you have someone who shouldn't be calling games on a big stage.

I usually find myself muting the TV and finding one of the team audio feeds on the Internet and try to sync up. The best solution to prevent announcers from getting these jobs is don't watch.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Anyone who complains about Beth is a sexist and the product of the oppressive patriarchy and it's brainwashing. The need for diversity and such. Don't think so? The NY Times ran this article a year ago the first time she called a MNF game: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/sports/nfl-beth-mowins-julie-dicaro.html

I watch a lot of Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN, and I like listening to Jessica Mendoza and what she adds to the broadcast. Conversely, I hate Alex Rodriguez because I can't stand his voice. Add that to the fact that he isn't that good at his job of adding color analysis to the broadcast and you have someone who shouldn't be calling games on a big stage.

I usually find myself muting the TV and finding one of the team audio feeds on the Internet and try to sync up. The best solution to prevent announcers from getting these jobs is don't watch.

Mowins isn't anywhere near Mendoza, Jessica is great, she carries those Sunday night broadcast. Mowins is knowledgeable and professional but mind numblingly boring.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Brian Griese should replace Witten...he's great.

How Witten got that gig with no experience is mind blowing.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Mowins is horrible, but count me in the group that likes Mendoza on Sunday Night Baseball. She really does a great job.

It may be some kind of Pavlovian association with Mowins and a 11 o'clock Iowa v. Maryland game, but I just can't stand her.