Cam Lard Enrolled in Wellness Center

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Halsted says Cam is bigger? Like he needed it??

DmW63_HUUAERH9b.jpg:large

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Update from Cam:

Having gone through that stage of life, and having a son who is now about Cam's age, you can clearly see that most of the hurdles that appear for you in that time of life are ones that you place in front of yourself. It's like watching someone run down the street barefoot while throwing glass bottles in front of themselves.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Cam Talked to Randy P. too.
He seems genuinely remorseful and aware of his bad choices. He also takes responsibility for his decisions which shows is telling. Granted it was one interview but he is aware that he was going down a bad path but seems to have reset and now taking advantage of his opportunity. Hope for Cam he can succeed and for his life and secondarily be a beast at Hilton.

@RandyPete Cameron Lard: I was leading a double life -- trying to handle myself here and then trying to handle myself outside of the gym and off the court. I keep that in my head every day. I know my chances are limited. I can’t mess up again.

@RandyPete Cam Lard on what led him astray: Making bad decisions, real bad decisions. Hanging out with the wrong people that were influencing me to make bad decisions.

@RandyPete Cam Lard on taking responsibility: I don’t talk to the dudes I was talking to before. I hold not regrets against them. All the decisions I made were on myself.

@RandyPete Cam Lard spent the summer at the Chris Herren wellness center in Mass. What'd he learn? "How to face adversity. When things are not going my way – how to maintain and stay cool."

@RandyPete Nick Babb is playing a role in the New Cam Lard: "He put me in the same apartment as him. He’s making me his wing man. That’s a big help. I need somebody to stay on me 24/7 and be there with me if times get tough -- if I do face some adversity."

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
@RandyPete Nick Babb is playing a role in the New Cam Lard: "He put me in the same apartment as him. He’s making me his wing man. That’s a big help. I need somebody to stay on me 24/7 and be there with me if times get tough -- if I do face some adversity."

I think I like this the best. Nick is a good kid and it's great to see him mentoring Cam.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

This is extremely encouraging. Of course he'll see some adversity along the way - bad games are gonna happen, and the Big 12 crowds for away games will be merciless. It'll be good to have NWB right there to help him through that stuff.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Cam Talked to Randy P. too.
He seems genuinely remorseful and aware of his bad choices. He also takes responsibility for his decisions which shows is telling. Granted it was one interview but he is aware that he was going down a bad path but seems to have reset and now taking advantage of his opportunity. Hope for Cam he can succeed and for his life and secondarily be a beast at Hilton.

@RandyPete Cameron Lard: I was leading a double life -- trying to handle myself here and then trying to handle myself outside of the gym and off the court. I keep that in my head every day. I know my chances are limited. I can’t mess up again.

@RandyPete Cam Lard on what led him astray: Making bad decisions, real bad decisions. Hanging out with the wrong people that were influencing me to make bad decisions.

@RandyPete Cam Lard on taking responsibility: I don’t talk to the dudes I was talking to before. I hold not regrets against them. All the decisions I made were on myself.

@RandyPete Cam Lard spent the summer at the Chris Herren wellness center in Mass. What'd he learn? "How to face adversity. When things are not going my way – how to maintain and stay cool."

Nick seems like he would be the perfect roommate and mentor to a young guy like Cam.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Halsted says Cam is bigger? Like he needed it??

DmW63_HUUAERH9b.jpg:large

I believe Prohm said he was up to about 255 now. I don't know how accurate they keep the weights on the official roster as they still have Solomon Young listed at only 245, but if it's close it's got to be about a 20 - 30 pound jump from last season.

• Friendly
Reactions: OBE4ISU

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Cam Lard with more size and his head on straight is the best thing I've heard today. He has the potential to be a double-double guy on a nightly basis in conference play.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I feel like hearing and learning and discussing issues of decision making, life choices, etc. with someone like Chris Herren has to be a great way to really get the engagement of a young man. I could be wrong, but I feel like all of these kids grew up in the time of 30for30s and that was one of the more intense, and impactful stories when watching (imo). Like, the man was literally standing on a street corner in the rain waiting for a dealer, as his team was on the court warming up!! And these kids know that story, they've heard how much it screwed up his life for a period of time, and I'm sure a lot of them said "that would never be me."

Well, when you finally find yourself in that seat listening to Chris tell you how it doesn't have to be you, that can really get through to a kid. Or at least I hope.

I wasn't aware that he was at Chris Herren's facility, but thought that was a really interesting/smart decision to send him to there of all places.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Prohm always seems to get one "troubled" young man that he gets the most out of each year. Nobody in particular last year, but the years before...

senior Nader > junior Nader
senior Burton > junior Burton

Both of them went from rotational players to stars, and now both of them are on NBA contracts. We all saw Cam's potential in the same way last season.

A focused, consistent Cameron Lard with even more size is going to be a nightmare.

If he unlocks the rest of it, he could be first-team all-Big 12 come March.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Prohm always seems to get one "troubled" young man that he gets the most out of each year. Nobody in particular last year, but the years before...

senior Nader > junior Nader
senior Burton > junior Burton

Both of them went from rotational players to stars, and now both of them are on NBA contracts. We all saw Cam's potential in the same way last season.

A focused, consistent Cameron Lard with even more size is going to be a nightmare.

If he unlocks the rest of it, he could be first-team all-Big 12 come March.

He and the other players will have an early opportunity to announce themselves on the national scene. I'd love to see them make a run in the Maui Invitational and serve notice on the Big 12 that ISU is back.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I think it's obvious Prohm cares about his guys and stories like this show he's committed to them as human beings....easily could have cut losses, let him go, etc....but this type of stuff is life changing.

I still think Prohm also handled the "following Fred" stuff with such grace and I know at times was REAL awkward (not anything he did, but others did).

Cam always seemed to have that natural "fire" and talent...to have it more focused could be REAL bad for our opponents, etc. :)

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think it's obvious Prohm cares about his guys and stories like this show he's committed to them as human beings....easily could have cut losses, let him go, etc....but this type of stuff is life changing.

I still think Prohm also handled the "following Fred" stuff with such grace and I know at times was REAL awkward (not anything he did, but others did).

Cam always seemed to have that natural "fire" and talent...to have it more focused could be REAL bad for our opponents, etc. :)
No knock on Fred but I'd choose Steve if I had the pick of the two after these past 3 years.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I feel like hearing and learning and discussing issues of decision making, life choices, etc. with someone like Chris Herren has to be a great way to really get the engagement of a young man. I could be wrong, but I feel like all of these kids grew up in the time of 30for30s and that was one of the more intense, and impactful stories when watching (imo). Like, the man was literally standing on a street corner in the rain waiting for a dealer, as his team was on the court warming up!! And these kids know that story, they've heard how much it screwed up his life for a period of time, and I'm sure a lot of them said "that would never be me."

Well, when you finally find yourself in that seat listening to Chris tell you how it doesn't have to be you, that can really get through to a kid. Or at least I hope.

I wasn't aware that he was at Chris Herren's facility, but thought that was a really interesting/smart decision to send him to there of all places.

Just my opinion but every freshman athlete should have to watch the Chris Herren 30 for 30.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Good stuff out of Cam. The trickiest parts of all of this are him staying out of the ruts.

Interesting that he was more open/talkative.

It's maybe a more intense situation and I'm not sure of the details of Cam's, but I saw a musician play recently who's been in and out of rehab over the years, talking about the struggles, and talked about how in treatment, instead of asking what's wrong with someone, it's bigger to ask where the pain comes from to begin with and starting there.

Maybe Chris Herren had this kind of effect with Cam in whatever's been going on.

Would be great if he exploded this year and turned into one of the greats. Might be a fun two sports seasons here.

• Agree
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No knock on Fred but I'd choose Steve if I had the pick of the two after these past 3 years.

My hope is he gets things back rolling to NCAA tourneys most years because his character and character development have been really great.