Hand Shake

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I swear it's a requirement for farming to have giant hands. My father in-law has giant hands. I'm not small size but it is difficult to even shake his hands. Pretty sure he would crush some without even trying.

I completely agree. My grandpa had bear paws. We got engaged a year or so after he passed away and I was given one of his wedding rings (I forget the story but I think this was his original one and he stopped wearing it due to wear and tear as a farmer and I think it not fitting anymore. Then when my mom got married my grandma made him get another one). When we took it in to get resized back down to my city boy finger the jeweler was astonished at the size of it.

Reactions: Cytasticlone

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
far-side-roy-dooms-humanity.jpg

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I'm always fascinated by people who treat handshakes as some kind of window into a person's soul. They turn it into a proxy for another person's entire worth. Strong handshakes project confidence! Weak handshakes mean you aren't strong!

Sometimes people are just...bad at handshakes and first impressions. Conversely, many of the people who project the most confidence are both the least confident and least competent.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I have arthritis, and when I meet some guy who wants to impress me with how badly he can crush my hand, it's very painful. I'm wondering if there is some sort of etiquette to avoid this, short of admitting what a pu$$y I am. :oops:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I have arthritis, and when I meet some guy who wants to impress me with how badly he can crush my hand, it's very painful. I'm wondering if there is some sort of etiquette to avoid this, short of admitting what a pu$$y I am. :oops:
Just don't reach out to shake, stare directly into his soul to assert dominance instead.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

Offer the fist-bump first. I have a friend with the same issue. When the other guy reaches out his hand my buddy actually pulls his hand back and says confidently, "I've got arthritis in my hand", and throws up the fist.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I swear it's a requirement for farming to have giant hands. My father in-law has giant hands. I'm not small size but it is difficult to even shake his hands. Pretty sure he would crush some without even trying.

Same for carpenters and contractors. My father in law has absurdly giant hands.

I wish we could get beyond handshakes as a proper form of greeting. So many germs.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Know some guys that think it’s almost like intercourse. Think it’s the highlight of meetings my people. I avoid when I can, I just don’t get the jollys from it. Especially not knowing what that hand did before I touched it.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Same issue, and it's worst in the CMC joint in my thumbs. When I shake hands, I keep my thumb and index finger firmly together and form a "V" between the index finger and middle finger so that the other person's hand goes between them. It makes it harder for them to grip extra firm, and it protects my CMC from getting painfully crushed with even a light grip.
All things considered, I prefer to hug! ;)

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
There's also the "too strong" handshake that indicates that they know about the handshake thing, but overdo it.

That's what I see alot of anymore. The word is out that strong handshakes show confidence. So now everyone handshake I have anymore turns into a game of "mercy".

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Same issue, and it's worst in the CMC joint in my thumbs. When I shake hands, I keep my thumb and index finger firmly together and form a "V" between the index finger and middle finger so that the other person's hand goes between them. It makes it harder for them to grip extra firm, and it protects my CMC from getting painfully crushed with even a light grip.
All things considered, I prefer to hug! ;)
You should just go with this:
Spock_performing_Vulcan_salute-e1383761091383.jpg

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
My feeling is I don't like if I notice the handshake either too strong or too soft. I actually hate the guys that think they show their alpha in a handshake the most. It just makes me think they are a douche.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I notice it. Stronger handshakes are done usually by confident people whereas weak handshakes are done by less confident people.

If I'm shaking a girl's hand I'm not as strong with it but a guy I do it as a form of respect. A person with a weak handshake tells me they aren't as interested to meet me.

I'm bad at reading body language but that's how I see it.

What if a guy with a weak handshake is confident he's going to catch a bug from you by shaking your hand?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron