Big 12 Conference Payment Distribution

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
No doubt. But the gap has widened to the point Nebraska will be better off, even in consideration of the relatively "paltry" years very soon. Which is the point I was responding to. Additionally, they landed in a more stable conference that revenue shares equally and does not include Texas, which was their beef with the B12.
Not arguing your point, just trying to make sure there is clarity that the $20 M and increasing gap may not continue to increase at the rate it appears to be.

• Agree
Reactions: isu81

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Here’s an easy scenario that took me 10 minutes. All of these schools own by Amazon on one streaming app? $$$$$. Half the damn country watches these 65 schools

Pacific
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
UCLA
USC

Big 8
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Nebraska
Iowa State
Missouri
Colorado

Western
Arizona
Arizona State
BYU
Colorado State
New Mexico
Wyoming
Utah
Boise State

SWC
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
A̶r̶i̶z̶o̶n̶a̶
A̶r̶i̶z̶o̶n̶a̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶t̶e̶
Arkansas
U̶t̶a̶h̶
Houston
SMU

Southeastern
LSU
Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi
Mississippi State
A̶r̶k̶a̶n̶s̶a̶s̶
Tennessee
Vandy
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky

Metro
F̶l̶o̶r̶i̶d̶a̶
Florida State
Miami
G̶e̶o̶r̶g̶i̶a̶
Georgia Tech
South Carolina
Clemson
Louisville
Cincinnati
Memphis

Coastal
North Carolina
Duke
NC State
Wake Forest
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Maryland

Northeast
Penn State
Pitt
West Virginia
Temple
Maryland
Syracuse
Rutgers
Boston College
L̶o̶u̶i̶s̶v̶i̶l̶l̶e̶
K̶e̶n̶t̶u̶c̶k̶y̶

Big 10
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue
Ohio State
Michigan State
Michigan

Just call them what they are. Names like the Big 10, the Big 8, the SWC. Bring all the old conferences back together, like the Metro. Even the ones that should have been but never were (like the mythical JoePa Eastern conference).

Bring back rivalries. That was the one component that college football has lost, and needs to bring back.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
ISU @ #41 in the nation. I'll take it.
Interesting that it goes from over 1.5B to under 1B in just 3 spots; it goes from 1B to 500M in 12 spots and from 500M to 250M in 20 spots; and from 250M to 125M in 24 spots.

Talk about haves and have nots - there are only 7 other schools within 50% of what the OSU is worth and only 47 other schools that are within 10% of the top dog.

• Agree
Reactions: ArgentCy

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Interesting that it goes from over 1.5B to under 1B in just 3 spots; it goes from 1B to 500M in 12 spots and from 500M to 250M in 20 spots; and from 250M to 125M in 24 spots.

Talk about haves and have nots - there are only 7 other schools within 50% of what the OSU is worth and only 47 other schools that are within 10% of the top dog.

That is exactly what I noticed as well. Not sure exactly what accounts for that steep drop off but that was pretty clear.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
This blows my mind as to why anyone thinks the Big 12 is the most vulnerable. I think of a team like Florida State that we know wasn't super happy with its conference a few years ago. They just lost Jimbo Fisher because they couldn't afford to match Texas A&M's offer. Their at $26.6M and would go to $36.5M not counting 3rd tier rights. You'd think a school like Florida State could get $3M or so there. That's just under a 50% pay increase. Easily would of paid Jimbo's new salary. Don't settle Big 12, we're in much better shape than ESPN would have us believe.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
How is West Virginia 66?
These are all financial calculations. They value a football program using present value assumptions. Obviously, WVU is not generating cash the way ISU and others. Maybe they have a heavy debt load. It's not a reflection of play on the field. It's all about what their financial statements tell an analyst about how the enterprise is performing with assumptions going forward. Anyone in M&A work does this kind of stuff routinely.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
This blows my mind as to why anyone thinks the Big 12 is the most vulnerable. I think of a team like Florida State that we know wasn't super happy with its conference a few years ago. They just lost Jimbo Fisher because they couldn't afford to match Texas A&M's offer. Their at $26.6M and would go to $36.5M not counting 3rd tier rights. You'd think a school like Florida State could get $3M or so there. That's just under a 50% pay increase. Easily would of paid Jimbo's new salary. Don't settle Big 12, we're in much better shape than ESPN would have us believe.
Jimbo leaving had nothing to do with money.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Just call them what they are. Names like the Big 10, the Big 8, the SWC. Bring all the old conferences back together, like the Metro. Even the ones that should have been but never were (like the mythical JoePa Eastern conference).

Bring back rivalries. That was the one component that college football has lost, and needs to bring back.

It's almost like that wasn't considered when schools jumped conferences. I hate it. Tried to go for a quick buck and lost what really made cfb fun

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Jimbo leaving had nothing to do with money.

Perhaps he had many reasons for leaving and some more important than money, but don't think for a second that his massive pay raise that Fl St willingly stated they couldn't match had nothing to do with it. Anyway, Jimbo and Florida St were just my example to an overall point.

Why is everyone determined the Big 12 is doomed when on average we pay out 3rd most of all conferences? Does anyone truly believe Texas would leave for the PAC or ACC when they're making bank verses what they'd make in those conferences. I'm convinced if the conference holds steady at 10, eventually somethings going to give in the PAC or ACC. Personally I hope its the ACC as the east coast has more eyeballs and therefore more revenue.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
ISU ahead of Kansas, North Carolina, and way ahead of Duke. Really puts the value of football over basketball into perspective. (Although, ISU is not exactly a shining example of football--which kind of proves my point..)

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
While I agree with you that there were a lot of problems behind the scenes, you don't think a 10-year, $75 million contract had no bearing on his decision to go to A&M?
No doubt. But Florida State could and would have paid enough to keep him without the other issues.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Of course that's what the school will say. They were already paying him $6 million. What's an additional $1.5?

The AD and Fisher had clashed for years. He didn't like the way Fisher was constantly holding the school hostage, his arrogance and the continuous flirting with other schools. Fisher, on the other hand, was looking for a fresh start after his ugly and public divorce. He is 52 years old and references how TAM provided him the best path to truly establish something great.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
A rabbit trail for sure, but I don't see Jimbo winning at aTm the way he did at FSU. Aggie is always going to suck at UT's teat. That wasn't the case in Florida where Bowden built a tremendous football program that Jimbo simply kept at the highest level. We'll see. But I'm guessing in the end, this is going to be another Aggie coaching bonfire, like Franchione and Sherman. They should never have shelved R.C. Slocum. He was solid and so Aggie. Would be like K-State firing Bruce Weber today.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron