Big 12 Conference Payment Distribution

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Yeah, I struggle to take seriously a football valuation list that has West Virginia at 66 with $72m but Kansas at 43 with $183m.

they must have a very heavy debt load.

USAToday compiled the revenues and expenses for 230 college programs over the previous year, and West Virginia ranked as one of the nation's best.

The Mountaineers raked in $105,140,368 in total revenue for 2016. That's more than double what the athletic department earned a decade ago ($49.9M in 2006) and a $15 million increase over just last year. The total number also ranks third in the Big12 Conference behind Texas ($187.9M) and Oklahoma ($150.3M) which finished second and sixth in the nation, respectively.

West Virginia saw a slight increase in ticket sales ($18.54M to $19.35M) over last year, but the biggest gains came in TV rights and licensing payments ($35.86M to $44.25M) and "contributions" ($25.89M to $33.49M). Money collected from student fees ($3.99M) is the lowest since 2009, while the school funds acquired ($47,298) was by far the lowest since USAToday began keeping track in 2005.

Meanwhile, the expenses for West Virginia athletics in 2016 was $85.9M, meaning the Mountaineer athletic department had a "profit" of roughly $20 million. (Source Eer Sports)

• Creative
Reactions: rbrook

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The streaming companies need to start investing in sports broadcasting now if they are serious about getting into college football. There is a lot of work on the production side that I’m not sure they have any experience with. That means they need to start hiring sports production people much like they’ve hired many people from Hollywood for their hit shows.

The writer of the OU article is funny. So, an Amazon rep told you they’d prefer to just bid on the top 30-40 teams? Wow, I’m sure ESPN never thought of that.

Agree with this a ton... I have absolutely no idea why everyone keeps lumping Netflix in here. They don't do any live broadcasting, have said they don't want sports, and they are making no effort to produce live sports. Amazon I can see (they are doing some soccer I think this year) but it's not like they are going to break the bank. They may overpay some conference, but it's not like every team is going to end up there. Not worth it for them or the schools. Plus it'd be a tremendous experiment. Sports fans are older. They may not be ready or willing yet to stream everything. I just can't fathom a wholesale change like this even in 5 years. I don't think the tech companies will be ready.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
We oft argue about 'tier3' media rights. Here's a quote that I believe brings some perspective. It also speaks to local sports market troubles beyond radio.

What becomes of the Jayhawk Network? IMG Sports Marketing owns KU's third-tier broadcast rights, which include a football game, two exhibition and four regular-season men’s basketball games, other events and original programming, and the deal is worth some $6 million annually to Kansas.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/article213963899.html

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron