Big 12 Conference Payment Distribution

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
So what you're really saying is that Texas made $51.5 million ($15 mil per year from LHN)

Edit:
According to this article (from Feb 2018, but I think it's accurate) the Big 10 programs earned $50.6 mil each in total revenue.

SEC Tweet from Feb:

Last edited:

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Tier 3 revenue is hard to compare because of how it's defined. Are you including radio rights for example? Well, all schools sell those individually. Much is made of Tier 3 because of the LHN, but it's probably a bit of a red herring for the rest of us.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
So if you include Tier 3 revenue (estimated around $5m), ISU made more money than the SEC schools.

I don't think ISU made $5 million off Cyclones.TV. I don't even think they made 1/2 of that. But it's certainly closer than what I thought it would be.

What should be pointed out though is that this was the first year that Nebraska received a full-share of Big 10 revenue (at 50.6 million). I would be interested to see what their revenue would have been if they were still full-members of the conference and had a "Husker TV" network during that same timespan. Nebraskans would have eaten that up - their AD has his own radio show for crying out loud, a Husker-only TV network would have been a slam-dunk decision.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I don't think ISU made $5 million off Cyclones.TV. I don't even think they made 1/2 of that. But it's certainly closer than what I thought it would be.

What should be pointed out though is that this was the first year that Nebraska received a full-share of Big 10 revenue (at 50.6 million). I would be interested to see what their revenue would have been if they were still full-members of the conference and had a "Husker TV" network during that same timespan. Nebraskans would have eaten that up - their AD has his own radio show for crying out loud, a Husker-only TV network would have been a slam-dunk decision.
Most of the 3rd tier money comes from radio, not Cyclones.tv

Reactions: 3GenClone

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Hoks remain unimpressed.

douglas_photo.jpg

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

This is truth. Wonder what the Big 12's hybrid model would've looked like for Nebraska

They are a program in decline, but they still have a large fan base. A Husker Network as a stand alone would've been a close 2nd in $$ to the LHN

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Here is TV revenue for Nebraska since leaving the BIG:
$14 mil
$15.4 mil
$16.9 Mil
$18.7 Mil
$ 20.9 Mil
$23.6 Mil
$50 Mil- This year

$159 Mil

Here is Iowa State Tv Revenue to compare (Im going to use about $2.5 mil for Tier 3)

$20.5 Mil
$23.5 Mi
$25.5 mil
$25.8 Mil
$32.5 Mil
$37.3 Mil
$39.3 Mil

$204 Mil

Since Nebraska Departure..little Ole Iowa State has made roughly $40 mil more in TV revenue...That number was much larger accept this summer Neb started getting a full share. So it will be until roughly 2023 until Nebraska actually starts making up completely for leaving the conference.

One could also argue that the disparity is actually larger because Nebraska Tier 3 deal would have been a minimum of $6-$8 mil a year..

• Winner
Reactions: 3GenClone