Feedback: If you are having any ad related problems, report here

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Redirects are freaking crazy today on my phone. Not sure if I can even post before I get another one. Everything I open here gives me one.
Walmart, Samsung, Angry ******* Birds can all die.

CyberJJJ

Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Admins,

The adds are getting more aggressive on this site. I am essentially not able to use it on my laptop anymore because of all the pop ups and adds that either don’t have an X for deleting, it comes up later, or in disingenuous fashion when you click it to cancel it still takes you to their site—that seems unethical to me and beneath the standards I believe you want for your users. I worked around this by primarily using my iPad to access the site, then switching browsers to better control my settings, and yet now I have near the same level concern on my iPad.

I get that adds are the way you have kept this site free. I access the site multiple times a day. But I must say my frustration level sits so high today it’s is almost not worth trying to come here. Is there any help you can provide? The faux amazon adds used to be the worst, but now the pop up videos (when I exit them they just keep coming back up) are a pain, and now the banner adds on the bottom of the page are covering content and have some much changing they slow the performance of the page in responding to clicks.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Admins,

The adds are getting more aggressive on this site. I am essentially not able to use it on my laptop anymore because of all the pop ups and adds that either don’t have an X for deleting, it comes up later, or in disingenuous fashion when you click it to cancel it still takes you to their site—that seems unethical to me and beneath the standards I believe you want for your users. I worked around this by primarily using my iPad to access the site, then switching browsers to better control my settings, and yet now I have near the same level concern on my iPad.

I get that adds are the way you have kept this site free. I access the site multiple times a day. But I must say my frustration level sits so high today it’s is almost not worth trying to come here. Is there any help you can provide? The faux amazon adds used to be the worst, but now the pop up videos (when I exit them they just keep coming back up) are a pain, and now the banner adds on the bottom of the page are covering content and have some much changing they slow the performance of the page in responding to clicks.

What browser are you using? I use Chrome on my Macbook and have never encountered a problem that makes the site unusable in the way you're explaining. If you could post screenshots or something that would be helpful because I can't see what you're seeing.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Well the new consumable thing with trending artists may be the most obnoxious form of add ever. I see it, I close it and it then pops up again. First time and likely last time I'm going to post an ad complaint but this one went a bit far. If I close it, it should stay away not pop up again and tell me I should listen to Nirvana's teen spirit.

On Google chrome. It can pop up, no worries but then it shouldn't pop up again after I close it. Instead whenever it changes previews it shows up again. (looking at the bar at the bottom it keeps saying javascriptvoid (null) so I suspect it isn't suppose to act like this.)

CyberJJJ

Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
What browser are you using? I use Chrome on my Macbook and have never encountered a problem that makes the site unusable in the way you're explaining. If you could post screenshots or something that would be helpful because I can't see what you're seeing.

I too am using Chrome. It is better on Chrome on my iPad that what I see on my laptop. Will work on a few screen grabs later this evening.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Both my computers tell me, "This website is using excessive energy, going away from it may improve responsiveness".

On my phone, the stupid Walmart gift card thing has come back with a vengeance, like it won't stop.

Both these things floor me.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Both my computers tell me, "This website is using excessive energy, going away from it may improve responsiveness".

On my phone, the stupid Walmart gift card thing has come back with a vengeance, like it won't stop.

Both these things floor me.

Post the link for the redirect and I’ll report it.

CyberJJJ

Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
The redirecting ads for me have been the ones that look like they are Amazon. No matter what you press, it redirects you to that site.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Cool... so I'm done coming to the site until the Cool by Consumable ad stops popping up every minute regardless of me closing it. That is obnoxious. I get monetizing the website but when the ads are then affecting the experience they have to go.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

CyberJJJ

Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
The play trending artists is the bigger pain today. When I click on the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the "cool by consumable" ad, nothing happens and it continues to cover over the bottom 2 inches of my screen. upload_2018-5-24_10-44-39.png

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Cool... so I'm done coming to the site until the Cool by Consumable ad stops popping up every minute regardless of me closing it. That is obnoxious. I get monetizing the website but when the ads are then affecting the experience they have to go.

I only ask this question because I truly want to know the answer. What about that ad is affecting the experience of the site? It is not blocking anything at the bottom of the page. You're able to read the forums and reply to posts. It pops up for me just like it does you and I can't say it has changed my experience with the site at all. I passed your concerns along to Chris so I'm sure he will be in this thread once he gets home this afternoon.

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
I'm done with this website until you can get the "play trending artists" pop up to stop. You can "X" out, but it just pops up immediately after closing. using Chrome Browser.

CyberJJJ

Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I only ask this question because I truly want to know the answer. What about that ad is affecting the experience of the site? It is not blocking anything at the bottom of the page. You're able to read the forums and reply to posts. It pops up for me just like it does you and I can't say it has changed my experience with the site at all. I passed your concerns along to Chris so I'm sure he will be in this thread once he gets home this afternoon.

Thanks for the question. I wouldn't have written to complain for just the Play Trending Artist ad. It was the trend that was most disturbing. First, I had to switch to Chrome to stop the horrible faux Amazon ads. No matter where you click, I was redirected to their site and couldn't back click to this sight. I would have to shut down the web browser and relaunch only to happen again in 30 seconds. Next wasn't actually an external ad, but something that was changed on this site so video clips popped up. I didn't mind that so much as the fact that after I clicked them off, they kept repopulating. Shortly after, the Play Trending Artists adds appeared and essentially locked my browser, or at minimum seemed to greatly reduce performance of it. My biggest issue is "truth in advertising" in that if you have an exit button and it redirects you to their web page even when you click exit, or in the case of the Play Trending Artists, it it there but doesn't work.

If you are telling me their sponsorship is so important to the site that it is a permanent banner, I could understand it...just remove the appearance of a way to click it off so they don't insult our intelligence. I realize I am visiting a public web page, so maybe this example doesn't hold water, but it is like having someone come to the door to sell something, and when you say you aren't interested, they not only won't leave, they shove their foot in your door so you can't close it. I realize I could just leave this web page, but don't understand why I should have to when the ad is disingenuous...please make them take their foot our of our collective door!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The play trending artists is the bigger pain today. When I click on the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the "cool by consumable" ad, nothing happens and it continues to cover over the bottom 2 inches of my screen. View attachment 55231
I agree with the one about the trending artist ad. It is driving me nuts and is slowing down each page I click on. Also, my phone is now asking me every time about cookies which is new. Not as big of an issue but the trending artist thing is annoying as hell.

Help Support Us

Become a patron