Feedback: If you are having any ad related problems, report here

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I actually like the suggestion of just fixing it to the bottom of the screen. I'm totally cool with it then. If that generates revenue to support the site, awesome. But if we have an option to close it down then that needs to be stable. I would totally support a fixed ad though. But this version appears to cause some memory issues and poor performances.

My biggest issue is "truth in advertising" in that if you have an exit button and it redirects you to their web page even when you click exit, or in the case of the Play Trending Artists, it it there but doesn't work.

If you are telling me their sponsorship is so important to the site that it is a permanent banner, I could understand it...just remove the appearance of a way to click it off so they don't insult our intelligence.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
+1 here as well. Again minor and on my phone I don't seetrending artist but the cookie pop up is weird... I get it, cookies... nobody cares Mr cookie monster... everyone has cookies.

The cookies popup is due to an update we did to the forums and our privacy policy in order to become GDPR compliant.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I watched the movie "Overboard" the other day. It was awful, but it had an interesting moment. This dudes father was the third richest man in the world and ran a construction/landscape business. The bags of quickcrete or whatever were 90 pounds. The guys working for the company felt it was great because 90 pounds is a weight that those who landscape are capable of handling and it saves the company money because they it's cheaper to make one bag of 90 pounds instead of two 45 pound bags. Meanwhile, those purchasing the bags hated it because, even though it got the job done, it made their lives shittier because they were carrying 90 pound bags .

I think it's great we got rid of the ads in the middle of the page, that was atrocious, and I commend the higher ups for fixing that issue. That being said, I've quit the site on mobile - I've been on it once in the last two weeks and that was to make a quick mafia vote. During that time, another Walmart/Amazon ad popped up. This has been an issue for awhile.

On top of that, I got on today to check it out, and there's this "Cool by Consumable" Ad. Guys...You have a permanent locked header and a permanent locked footer. I don't even care about the ad itself, but that's MySpace 101 what not to do. Let people scroll up or down without having something locked.

(Yes, I realize you can exit the ad but it gets a little old having to do it constantly. It's like getting Rick Roll'd)

• Informative
Reactions: CyberJJJ

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I watched the movie "Overboard" the other day. It was awful, but it had an interesting moment. This dudes father was the third richest man in the world and ran a construction/landscape business. The bags of quickcrete or whatever were 90 pounds. The guys working for the company felt it was great because 90 pounds is a weight that those who landscape are capable of handling and it saves the company money because they it's cheaper to make one bag of 90 pounds instead of two 45 pound bags. Meanwhile, those purchasing the bags hated it because, even though it got the job done, it made their lives shittier because they were carrying 90 pound bags .

I think it's great we got rid of the ads in the middle of the page, that was atrocious, and I commend the higher ups for fixing that issue. That being said, I've quit the site on mobile - I've been on it once in the last two weeks and that was to make a quick mafia vote. During that time, another Walmart/Amazon ad popped up. This has been an issue for awhile.

On top of that, I got on today to check it out, and there's this "Cool by Consumable" Ad. Guys...You have a permanent locked header and a permanent locked footer. I don't even care about the ad itself, but that's MySpace 101 what not to do. Let people scroll up or down without having something locked.

(Yes, I realize you can exit the ad but it gets a little old having to do it constantly. It's like getting Rick Roll'd)

I am on vacation until Tuesday and will look into the trending artist complaint at that point. I do know that when I left that ad spot was likely going to earn CF around 1500 in May. That's a large sum of money for a small company/free website.

As far as the bad ads go, please see my thread from a few weeks ago. I explained it there in detail. There is literally nothing I can do about them at this point other than report/block URLs. It is an industry issue. Nothing specific to CF. Same stuff happens to me on national sites. All I can say is the industry is getting better at blocking bad ads every day and it should continue to get better, much as our site is 100 times better now compared to what is was 2 months ago.

The only thing I can do to completely get rid of them is take them down completely, which would result in no CF at all.

D

Deleted member 6804

I am on vacation until Tuesday and will look into the trending artist complaint at that point. I do know that when I left that ad spot was likely going to earn CF around 1500 in May. That's a large sum of money for a small company/free website.

As far as the bad ads go, please see my thread from a few weeks ago. I explained it there in detail. There is literally nothing I can do about them at this point other than report/block URLs. It is an industry issue. Nothing specific to CF. Same stuff happens to me on national sites. All I can say is the industry is getting better at blocking bad ads every day and it should continue to get better, much as our site is 100 times better now compared to what is was 2 months ago.

The only thing I can do to completely get rid of them is take them down completely, which would result in no CF at all.

D

Deleted member 6804

Can you get any more drop downs, ads and other assorted crap on this site?
If in rare case it allows a close out there is another right behind it.
And spare me your condescending excuses.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I actually like the suggestion of just fixing it to the bottom of the screen. I'm totally cool with it then. If that generates revenue to support the site, awesome. But if we have an option to close it down then that needs to be stable. I would totally support a fixed ad though. But this version appears to cause some memory issues and poor performances.

Yeah we’ve actually been running this ad since January believe it or not. Just appears his version is causing the problem. We had never had a single complaint before the last week. I’ll have the dev remove it for the weekend and will speak with the vendor about it next week.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
The obnoxious ad today is the air guitar playing kidkid that’s doesn’t allow me to exit out of it. I took a screen shot but get the error the file I sent too big to upload.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Thanks for the progress on the Play Trending Artists Ad. The "X" in the upper right hand corner actually works now as the ad goes away for ~30, but then comes back. Still a bit of a pain but that is better than before. Thank you for addressing it.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Thanks for the progress on the Play Trending Artists Ad. The "X" in the upper right hand corner actually works now as the ad goes away for ~30, but then comes back. Still a bit of a pain but that is better than before. Thank you for addressing it.

Me thinks I spoke too soon - today the "Play Trending Artists" add is back to the "X" not doing anything and NOT letting me exit out at all. If we need the add for the money it generates, can we just take that X off so they aren't insulting our intelligence?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
This may have been reported, but every article i open has the attached (screen shot) video underneath the main photo, it’s a nuisance for sure.

Attachments

• 96DFE774-B24E-42D5-A853-1D131E6120DF.jpeg
    96DFE774-B24E-42D5-A853-1D131E6120DF.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 2

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
The play trending artists ad is back to not letting you hit the "X" to exit the ad. It blocks the bottom two inches of the screen. When I opened the Maui tournament article, I can only see down to half way through Xavier before I have to scroll on my laptop. While that is a pain, I hate the lack of integrity on an ad that locks but makes it look like you can exit it, I have put up with it. However, the last two days as I see that constantly loading, it keeps locking up Google Chrome and I have to kill the page. That performance issues I don't want to put up with.