Home Values

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Don’t be so sure. $2 million starter homes in coastal California require high-paying, stressful job(s). To some of us out here, Iowa looks pretty good.

Aint glamorous, but it's simple and cheap out here ******* pigs at the home place.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
I'm not sure what's driving it this time...I guess fear of being left out?

I'm shocked that even here in San Antonio we've seen major price increases...in the past 4 years my house has shot up from $240k to $350k +.

Land has done the same.

Not good.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
You’re still better off buying, strictly talking about $$. Maxing our retirement is fine but you are throwing $900+ away each month.

It's really misleading to start spouting bad information like this. My fear is you're telling all the young, impressionable 20-somethings in your life this garbage.
This website https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/buy-rent-calculator.html?_r=0
helps you compare the costs of buying vs renting the same house and when I entered my numbers, it's very close. A more real life scenario is comparing buying a 3BR/2Bath house vs staying in a 2BR apartment. Most people will need to fill that bigger house with furniture, buy and maintain appliances, lawn mower, snow blower, etc. If you take a few minutes to think about it, it really only makes sense to buy if that's the lifestyle you want + you can afford it. Consider also how long you will stay in that house.
I'm not against owning a home but don't go into it without considering all the costs vs the benefits.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
It's really misleading to start spouting bad information like this. My fear is you're telling all the young, impressionable 20-somethings in your life this garbage.
This website https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/buy-rent-calculator.html?_r=0
helps you compare the costs of buying vs renting the same house and when I entered my numbers, it's very close. A more real life scenario is comparing buying a 3BR/2Bath house vs staying in a 2BR apartment. Most people will need to fill that bigger house with furniture, buy and maintain appliances, lawn mower, snow blower, etc. If you take a few minutes to think about it, it really only makes sense to buy if that's the lifestyle you want + you can afford it. Consider also how long you will stay in that house.
I'm not against owning a home but don't go into it without considering all the costs vs the benefits.

When you consider that I had mentioned you had to be able to afford it.....

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
Taxes & regulations. Then more taxes and regulations. If there is anything left they tax it...and regulate it.

Ok...so why is a $20k remodel $100k in California?

I'm all ears.

Pay isn't much higher in CA than Texas or anywhere else. Are you telling me there is that much fuel used in a remodel at $4.99 vs $2.49?

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Until people provide actual reliable data, these claims are just hyperbole. Moreover, the data must be apples to apples comparisons.

Seems to me many here just want to bag on California, mostly for (perceived) cultural differences--most of which are hyperbole as well. Go to any old 10-year old Saturday little league game in suburban CA, and it'll feel pretty much like one in suburban Iowa.

Ok...so why is a $20k remodel $100k in California?

I'm all ears.

Pay isn't much higher in CA than Texas or anywhere else. Are you telling me there is that much fuel used in a remodel at $4.99 vs $2.49?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron