Home Values

BeachCyclone

Jan 22, 2012
Manhattan Beach, CA
Makes me wonder if Prop 13 helps housing prices to rise in California. People stay put longer, fewer homes on the market.

I can’t speak for others, but my property tax would increase by $10-15k annually were my wife and I to purchase a house at the same price as our current home’s actual value.

If we ever move, we’re leaving for good.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Makes me wonder if Prop 13 helps housing prices to rise in California. People stay put longer, fewer homes on the market.

Studies have shown this exact thing happens.

Also ITT: I want high property value when I sell but low when I pay taxes. Which is it?

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
And when the legislature demands more money than the property base can pay? They've built the whole system to appear "fair" but they have multiple ways of raising the tax every year. Always need MOAR.
And when the legislature demands more money than the property base can pay? They've built the whole system to appear "fair" but they have multiple ways of raising the tax every year. Always need MOAR.

The Schools, Cities and Counties as well as a handful of other property taxing entities set your property tax DOLLARS collected. The legislature just sets weird rollbacks and formulas for political gain, then they can say the cut taxes. When in truth, it takes "X" amount of dollars to operate one of these property taxing entities. Lets put it this way, If everyone property tax was based off of 100% value levy rates would drop significantly, except agland, that value is determined on a formula that sets the value from commodity prices, the productivity of that 40 acre piece of land ( what the soil type in that 40 acres is actually able to produce) and raw agland values.

The trouble is, this information is 2 years old when the tax bills come out in August. If your house is destroyed by a catastrophe and you rebuild somewhere else, until the 2 years passes, you wont avoid paying taxes on theat house that is gone. If farmers have a profitable year, they dont have to pay for higher land evaluations until 2 years later. Then farm income could be way down.

I think it is too complex.

• Informative
Reactions: skibumspe

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006

Studies have shown this exact thing happens.

Also ITT: I want high property value when I sell but low when I pay taxes. Which is it?

I do not follow such things closely, or at all, but I found it interesting what comes up with a simple Google search on "proposition 13 and house prices".

There is a lot more there, that I have not included here.

But at the top were fairly recent articles from the San Diego newspaper about possible revisions to Proposition 13, intended to increase turnover -- by allowing some kind of rollover basis for property tax purposes, so people can sell their house and move but not give up all the benefits of Proposition 13 -- modeled (IIRC) on special rules currently in place for people 55 and older. One is a Q&A about whether this specific proposal will result in higher prices. A name I recognized is local university economist James Hamilton, who has long had his own economics blog.

I was mostly interested, though, that there are recent discussions in the news (via that google search) about Prop 13 and twojman's and mtown's and argent's point -- that is, whether/that Prop 13 itself causes higher prices. But I have not linked those discussions here.

Below are links to the articles about the proposed revisions to Prop 13, and one to James Hamilton's blog:

Article about the proposal (7-13-17):
Prop. 13 property tax reform could boost housing affordability, experts say
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/sd-fi-prop13-story.html

With housing inventories at a historic low, real estate leaders are proposing to amend Proposition 13 to give homeowners a tax break when they sell and thus generate more supply and reduce pressure on prices.

The change would apply to the 1978 tax-reduction measure and appear on the November 2018 if the Legislature agrees or via a ballot initiative that the California Association of Realtors is considering. ...

Subsequent article with the Q&A (7-21-17):
Will Prop. 13 changes make home prices go up?
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/economy/sd-fi-econometer-prop13-htmlstory.html

Econbrowser (James Hamilton's) blog:
http://econbrowser.com/

Last edited:

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
  • Buying always makes more sense than renting

This one always gets me arguing when talking with family. They keep telling me to buy a house but I travel literally every week. 200k miles a year. I'm home 8 days a month on average. Throw in the fact Texas has high real estate taxes, **** no I ain't buying right now.

I'll stick with my $900/month rent with free internet and cable. Plus my electricity is free nights and weekends. I still feel like I'm overpaying due to my situation. (It used to be a lot lower until my roommate moved out and I had to get a 1 bedroom).

Just property taxes on homes I was looking at was $500+ a month ignoring the mortgage.

Nah.... I'll stick to renting for now and just maxing out all my retirement stuff. Even doing some mega backdoor IRA this last year

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
This one always gets me arguing when talking with family. They keep telling me to buy a house but I travel literally every week. 200k miles a year. I'm home 8 days a month on average. Throw in the fact Texas has high real estate taxes, **** no I ain't buying right now.

I'll stick with my $900/month rent with free internet and cable. Plus my electricity is free nights and weekends. I still feel like I'm overpaying due to my situation. (It used to be a lot lower until my roommate moved out and I had to get a 1 bedroom).

Just property taxes on homes I was looking at was $500+ a month ignoring the mortgage.

Nah.... I'll stick to renting for now and just maxing out all my retirement stuff. Even doing some mega backdoor IRA this last year

You’re still better off buying, strictly talking about $$. Maxing our retirement is fine but you are throwing $900+ away each month.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
You’re still better off buying, strictly talking about $$. Maxing our retirement is fine but you are throwing $900+ away each month.

The answer to the rent vs. buy question is always, "it depends." Reading 2015's post suggests that renting is the best situation for him at this point in his life, and he understands it.

I've never really understand the "throwing away money" line. True, he's not building equity in a home, but he's still paying for a roof over his head. While avoiding additional taxes and homeowner expenses.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
The answer to the rent vs. buy question is always, "it depends." Reading 2015's post suggests that renting is the best situation for him at this point in his life, and he understands it.

I've never really understand the "throwing away money" line. True, he's not building equity in a home, but he's still paying for a roof over his head. While avoiding additional taxes and homeowner expenses.

Basically yes. Plus I don't have someone who would be living in the home with me.

I am gone between 4-10 consecutive days usually. So what if something happened in my home unexpectedly? A pipe burst, roof leaked, tree fell on house, gas leak etc. I am at the mercy of fate at that point. Renting these things can still happen but it's not my obligation to try and remedy these things if they do happen. That's invaluable to me at this point in my life.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

GoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I spend over $5,000/yr on property taxes. Add in interest payments, insurance, utilities and maintenance, and $900/mo. is damn cheap. For me, choosing to own a home is more about lifestyle choices.

Last edited:

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016

Talking about strictly money, buying is better than renting. If you can’t, it’s understandable. If you don’t want to, it’s understandaable.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Basically yes. Plus I don't have someone who would be living in the home with me.

I am gone between 4-10 consecutive days usually. So what if something happened in my home unexpectedly? A pipe burst, roof leaked, tree fell on house, gas leak etc. I am at the mercy of fate at that point. Renting these things can still happen but it's not my obligation to try and remedy these things if they do happen. That's invaluable to me at this point in my life.

Insurance.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I haven't bought because I don't spend enough time at my place, I also don't want to be on the hook for shoveling and lawn care. Plus it's cheap as hell to rent in crapids

Reactions: capitalcityguy

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Insurance.
Obviously but let's say pipe bursts Monday the 23rd and I don't get home until Wednesday the 2nd and I have four days to get all my ducks in a row because I leave Sunday the 6th for my next assignment.

Ignoring the fact that 10 days of a pipe burst is catastrophically more difficult to deal with than a day or two. You think you can get everything done in 4 days?

I've done calculations and renting is better for me financially wise when it crosses the $1300ish range. That's straight up rent vs mortgage/taxes/insurance building equity in a house. Ignoring all the other costs like lawn care, maintenance, etc.

Also ignoring the benefits of compound interest of $400/month+ I can save extra in that scenario.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Obviously but let's say pipe bursts Monday the 23rd and I don't get home until Wednesday the 2nd and I have four days to get all my ducks in a row because I leave Sunday the 6th for my next assignment.

Ignoring the fact that 10 days of a pipe burst is catastrophically more difficult to deal with than a day or two. You think you can get everything done in 4 days?

I've done calculations and renting is better for me financially wise when it crosses the $1300ish range. That's straight up rent vs mortgage/taxes/insurance building equity in a house. Ignoring all the other costs like lawn care, maintenance, etc.

Also ignoring the benefits of compound interest of $400/month+ I can save extra in that scenario.

Well I also don’t think a pipe bursting is something to worry about much, either. Like I said, it’s understandable if you don’t want to and it makes sense in your situation, but buying is always the better $$ way to go.

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Well I also don’t think a pipe bursting is something to worry about much, either. Like I said, it’s understandable if you don’t want to and it makes sense in your situation, but buying is always the better $$ way to go.

You sure about that.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

I bought my recent home in 2005. By 2009 I was a couple hundred thousand upside down and scraping to keep the place.

A good case can be made that buying wasn't a fantastic decision.

Always isn't always the right answer

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron