Car Insurance Cost Luxury Cars

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
My inlaws recently bought a really nice Lincoln SUV. They shared that yearly insurance for the thing is over $2,000! Holy cow! My most expensive vehicle (granted it’s a 11 year old Honda minivan) is less than $400. I am a big believer in the saying that you can make yourself Insurance poor.

Kind of curious what you pay for your vehicles? Used to think I wanted a Luxury vehicle when the kids are grown, but thinking a mainstream vehicle of some sort may be the way to go!

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My inlaws recently bought a really nice Lincoln SUV. They shared that yearly insurance for the thing is over $2,000! Holy cow! My most expensive vehicle (granted it’s a 11 year old Honda minivan) is less than $400. I am a big believer in the saying that you can make yourself Insurance poor.

Kind of curious what you pay for your vehicles? Used to think I wanted a Luxury vehicle when the kids are grown, but thinking a mainstream vehicle of some sort may be the way to go!

It really depends on the vehicle, your age, and your coverage.

We have the following

2018 VW Tiguan SEL-P $36k MSRP $469/year
2015 BMW 235i X $50k MSRP $729/year

$1,000 Deductible
$1,200 Year premium

Before the BMW, I had a 2011 M56x (420hp V8) MSRP $72k and it was around $600/year

The expense that will surprise you in Iowa are the tags. They are based on the original MSRP.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
It really depends on the vehicle, your age, and your coverage.

We have the following

2018 VW Tiguan SEL-P $36k MSRP $469/year
2015 BMW 235i X $50k MSRP $729/year

$1,000 Deductible
$1,200 Year premium

Before the BMW, I had a 2011 M56x (420hp V8) MSRP $72k and it was around $600/year

The expense that will surprise you in Iowa are the tags. They are based on the original MSRP.

Side note, I did pick up the 2018 Tiguan SE about 3 weeks ago. Really like it.

Reactions: dmclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
They should look at their vehicle damage lines for collision and non-collision and the deductibles for each. That's the biggest percentage of the cost and "manageable" by raising their deductible.

Also, some of the new Lincolns are sporting aluminum bodys which are going to be more expensive to fix if they get in even a minor fender bender. I am sure the insurance companies are reflecting that in premium guides for certain models.

Thread was a reminder to review my own. I need to bump up my deductibles some. Not sure why the old Boxster is still sitting at $250, sort of missed that last time I revised coverage. Kinda surprised they kept the glass at $0 after I cracked a windshield last year. That was not cheap for them.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I feel I'm well informed when it comes to most financial aspects but insurance is one I'm lacking in at my young age.

I insure my 2015 Dodge Challenger through Geico at $107/month. I selected the $500 deductible. Any advice to whether I'm locked into a reasonable price or if/where I should look for a different insurance company?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

My in-laws pay a high insurance premium as well because they basically have no credit. They've paid cash for pretty much everything their entire lives and when they bought a brand new vehicle a few years ago and they were floored how high their premium was. believe it or not but a "poor" credit score categorizes you as higher risk.

• Informative
Reactions: Herkster and NWICY

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I feel I'm well informed when it comes to most financial aspects but insurance is one I'm lacking in at my young age.

I insure my 2015 Dodge Challenger through Geico at $107/month. I selected the $500 deductible. Any advice to whether I'm locked into a reasonable price or if/where I should look for a different insurance company?

Get on esurance and get a quote. You aren’t locked in to anything.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

That seems a little high to me. I would call an independent insurance agent who can shop rates on your behalf. If you have renters or homeowners insurance, make sure you are getting them bundled as that will save you a lot.

If you're looking for names I can give you a couple I've worked with in the past. It's way better than trying something online that "compares rates" or going directly to a company's agent, and it doesn't cost anymore as they are just taking a cut from the policy. Much like 3rd party travel sites.

Reactions: cyhawkdmb

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I pay $100/month with a $500 deductible on a 2011 Kia Optima.
Before I moved to Chicago it was around $40/month.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I pay $100/month with a $500 deductible on a 2011 Kia Optima.
Before I moved to Chicago it was around $40/month.

Ya location sure makes for some crazy swings in insurance prices. I was surprised to see how much ours changed from moving from Omaha to Waukee, then Waukee to Ankeny.

All through college and a little after it was always registered in rural Iowa (parents house) which was a hell of a lot cheaper, although the car was always in Ames or Omaha.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Get on esurance and get a quote. You aren’t locked in to anything.

I will do this today.

That seems a little high to me. I would call an independent insurance agent who can shop rates on your behalf. If you have renters or homeowners insurance, make sure you are getting them bundled as that will save you a lot.

If you're looking for names I can give you a couple I've worked with in the past. It's way better than trying something online that "compares rates" or going directly to a company's agent, and it doesn't cost anymore as they are just taking a cut from the policy. Much like 3rd party travel sites.

Yes please. I am renting with no renter's insurance currently. Appreciate the help guys.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Understand, a luxury car is going to cost more to insure because if you total it, they have to BUY IT. Also, once you hit 70 you get nailed, because elderly folks aren't the best drivers. Not quite as bad as teens, but significant.

I pay $2100/year for three modest vehicles, and that includes a discount for being an agent. I have a teenage driver, though, and am about to add another one!

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I will do this today.

Yes please. I am renting with no renter's insurance currently. Appreciate the help guys.

I PM'd you a few names. Just to note in general:

Contact and shop at least 2 places, as not all agents have contacts with all companies. For instance when I was researching when we first needed homeowners, we went with Company X over Company Y as they worked with Travelers and was the best deal. I felt bad because Company Y seemed to offer better customer service, but didn't have those relationships.

They will also search stuff for you while you have a policy with them for best deals. Even though I was with Company A the whole time, we shifted between Progressive and Travelers when it best fit our situation.

Reactions: CloneFan4

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I pay $1000 per year for a 2015 Chevy Malibu. But my deductibles are $100/$500. I'll raise the deductible once the car is 5 years old.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I never understood why people don't go with the higher deductibles. I've had a higher deductible for the last 15+ years. By doing this it saves me about $300/year. So in those 15 years I've saved at least $4,500. I haven't had any claims but even if I had, it would have taken 9 claims just to break even and if I had 9 claims in 15 years, I would probably be dead or didn't deserve to drive.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I never understood why people don't go with the higher deductibles. I've had a higher deductible for the last 15+ years. By doing this it saves me about $300/year. So in those 15 years I've saved at least $4,500. I haven't had any claims but even if I had, it would have taken 9 claims just to break even and if I had 9 claims in 15 years, I would probably be dead or didn't deserve to drive.
People are very stubborn about breaking that old habit. It's like the 3,000 mile oil change. I have people who come in and they're all proud they carry $0 or $100 deductibles. I'm like people, that is just stupid. You're just throwing money away.

And those same people are the ones who complain about how much they're paying. Don't complain to me about how expensive your insurance is when you're intentionally doing things that make it so.