On That Note: Don't Know Much About History

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
For me when this topic came to me the first song that came to mind was Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Tells a tremendous story about the ship's tragic sinking and the lyrically it's amazingly descriptive.

"The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy"

QUOTE="MeanDean, post: 6114243, member: 7117"]Art history... it's still history, right?

So two Don McLean songs for this OTN.
[
[/QUOTE]The sun's out today for a change and you guys are making me cry.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
I learned a lot about military history by listening to Sabaton's catalog and then reading about what they sang about.

Maybe best known, "40:1" is about the WW2 Battle of Wizna where less than 1,000 Polish soldiers defended against 40,000 Germans.

They are also one of the best live performances I've ever seen.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
For me when this topic came to me the first song that came to mind was Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Tells a tremendous story about the ship's tragic sinking and the lyrically it's amazingly descriptive.

"The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy"

This is the first song I thought of when I read the topic for the week.

I thought about it a lot when my family went up to Lake Superior for vacation last summer. There was a map in the house we rented that showed all of the famous ship wrecks in Lake Superior, including the Edmund Fitzgerald.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
One more is Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire. Basically everything but chorus is about famous people in history and events like JFK's assassination and Bay of Pigs Invasion.

My goodness I forgot how much that song was overplayed when it came out. I got so sick of it, but of course, every time you hear it you have to try and remember EVERY FRICKIN WORD!

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
When this topic was discussed offline I wondered about the distinction between songs written about events from an historic perspective - like The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - written 100 years after the civil war. Versus CSNY's Ohio which now seems historical and is, but at the time was more a current events topic.

No one else seemed to care and I don't either really, just something I thought might bring some discussion and/or perspective to certain songs.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I have been a fan of Flogging Molly for years. They were the best small venue concert I've seen to date. Their lyrics usually paint a great picture, even when set to music that doesn't fit the mood of the story.

Tobacco Island is a song about Englishman Oliver Cromwell invading Ireland and either executing the Irish or deporting them to work as slave labor in the Caribbean in the 1600's.

Reactions: cyclones500

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'll add another by Flogging Molly. This is more of a political statement about the downfall of Detroit at the hands of corporate greed.

Reactions: cyclones500

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Can't listen to that without thinking of the parady that Homer & Jethro did of it, The Battle of Kookamonga. :rolleyes:

They won a Grammy for Best Comedy Performance – Musical in 1959 for "The Battle of Kookamonga", their parody of Johnny Horton's hit "The Battle of New Orleans".

One of my uncles businesses was jukeboxes and we used to get lots of used and weird 45's after they got switched out. Lots of novelty songs back then, Purple People Eater, Seven Little Girls (sitting in the Back Seat), If You Want to be Happy, Beep Beep (Little Nash Rambler), etc. Maybe an idea for one of these threads by our music history mavens, comedy songs.

Reactions: VeloClone