On That Note: Don't Know Much About History

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Saw an interview with Mickey Dolenz a few years back. According to him, Boyce & Hart absolutely wrote it as a protest song, but had to be kind of sneaky about it to avoid pissing off the network.

You've provided additional confirmation for me ... after @SCyclone responded to my uncertainty regarding @Rubbuk’s initial post about the theme, I did some quick online research and found something close to what you cited.

Somehow, the Vietnam-departure theme hadn’t occurred to me until this thread. I don't consider myself a Monkees-ologist, but I know enough about the group’s history, surprising I was in the dark.

ccruzen

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 19, 2009
Urbandale
And a couple randos.

This one has a really interesting true story behind it:

And this one, while the video has images from WWI, is believed to be about the Falklands War. And it's supposedly the first CD single to be released.

Reactions: cyclones500

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Off-topic: This would be an awesome title for something.

I thought that would be a cool "On That Note" category: old songs that seem super relevant today. "Eve of Destruction" was one of the first examples that popped in my head. Also, "...my blood's so mad, feels like coagulatin'" has to be one of the best lines ever.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Just for fun, this should be included. It's basically a history teacher channeling Weird Al. My daughter came home from school one afternoon humming this and I thought where in the hell did she hear Soulja Boy.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
CBS cut this song when it was supposed to air originally, I think 1967, but it ultimately played, sometime before LBJ went on television and dropped out of the 1968 race.

It was on the Smothers Brothers, so I’m sure I saw it when it originally aired.

LBJ = The Big Fool

Below are two related videos, the first with an introduction by D. Smothers, and other historical war songs by Seeger before Waist Deep at the end. At a glance, it seems this entire segment aired. The second is a later interview with Pete Seeger about this.

February 25, 1968

Last edited:

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006

Campbell's recording of the song, released in 1969, was perceived as being a Vietnam War protest song,[5] but Campbell performed it up-tempo, conveying a more general message. The protagonist is a soldier, as shown in the original promo video with Campbell dressed up in a military outfit. [Songwriter] Webb described it as an anti-war song, and challenged Campbell's version of his song and the notion that it was in any way a "patriotic song". According to Webb, the song is "about a guy who's caught up in something he doesn't understand and would rather be somewhere else".[6] . . .
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galveston_(song)

Galveston, oh, Galveston,
I still hear your seawinds blowing;
I still see her dark eyes glowing.
She was twenty one, when I left Galveston.
Galveston, oh, Galveston,
I still hear your seawaves crashin,
while I watch the cannons flashin'.
I clean my gun, and dream of Galveston.
I still see her standing by the water,
Standing there looking out to sea.
And is she waiting there for me,
On the beach where we used to run?
Galveston, oh!
Galveston, I am so afraid of dying,
Before I dry the tears she's crying,
Before I watch your sea birds flying in the sun, at Galveston, at Galveston

Reactions: arobb

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
For additional context, the first YouTube below must be from the first episode of the Smothers Brothers 1967-68 season, when the performers would have expected that Waist Deep in the Big Muddy would have aired (not be cut later by CBS). The second must be from the Feb. 25, 1968, show, when it actually did air. Except for Old Joe Clark, and the lyrics to Turn, Turn, Turn, the songs were written by Pete Seeger.

Old Joe Clark is a US folk song, a mountain ballad that was popular among soldiers from eastern Kentucky during World War I and afterwards.[1] Its lyrics refer to a real person named Joseph Clark, a Kentucky mountaineer who was born in 1839 and murdered in 1885.[1][2] The "playful and sometimes outlandish verses" have led to the conjecture that it first spread as a children's song and via play parties.[3] . . .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Joe_Clark

Reactions: matclone