Dumb question...is Iowa game fun in IC?

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I've never been to an Iowa-Iowa State game in IC. Is it a good time, or is TV just as good? We hit several away games each year, but never that one.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Win or lose...your going to get a ton of crap either way....but when we do win, it's so fun walking in/around that town with your head up high with a big **** grin on your face

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I have only been to one ISU vs Iowa game in Iowa City and thankfully it was the come from behind game with Seneca:notworthy: I would say the game was fun but we sat in the ISU section. Tailgating wasn't that bad took some good ribbing from the folks around us but it was all in good fun. The walk to the stadium was a little less fun as the closer you get to the stadium the more drunk the students get and the taunts get a little out of taste. If you can ignore the dumb taunts then you are golden. After the game Iowa City sucked because the bars were dead and the people that were at the bars were in a bad mood :biglaugh:

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
If you go, make sure you buy tickets so you are sitting with other Cyclone fans. Don't scalp them from someone outside because chances are you land somewhere full of drunk, obnoxious, cocky hawk fans throwing beer at you, kicking you in the back and making your life miserable.

Until that is in the early to mid 3rd quarter when up by 21 pts and they are all leaving with their tails between their legs.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
TV for this guy. Won't catch me at that craphole in IC. I feel bad we have to send our guys there every other year.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'll be there front row...need a thought for a sign to hang though :biggrin:

Have a few thoughts already...

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
If you're gonna watch it at a bar in Iowa City, head to The Deadwood. It's smack in the middle of downtown, on Dubuque Street. The owners are ISU alums and Cyclone fans, and are known to sometimes be generous to their Cyclone guests during the Iowa game...

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
It's not that bad... but expect to park about 1 mile or farther away from the stadium.

My two brothers park a block away so I always have a close spot to drink, but walking to it takes forever. I heard they eliminated a parking lot displacing a bunch of spots so now its extremely hard to find a place and expect to pay more then you do at ISU.

Most fans can be jerks when you wear ISU stuff. Just look how some of our fans treated UofI fans last year. Expect the same.

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
Iowa City has such horrible traffic problems on game day, especially 11 am kick-offs.
I've been to quite a few ISU-Iowa games there and won't go back, due to the traffic problems.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Gas to Iowa City: $50
Tickets to the game: $65
Watching Ferentz try to cover this loss like a legal issue: Priceless

There are some things money can't buy, like an ethical football coach, but for everything else, there's MasterCard.

If only I could fit that in a sign...

Reactions: CycloneErik

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I watched a replay of the 2000 game that we beat them in Iowa City. Iowa was favored by 29, we won 27-9. Hayden commented it was hard to get his team fired up, but it was really a big game for us. He made it a point to run up the score against us anytime he could. A win would be sweet there.

whirlybirds

Oct 25, 2007
Knoxville, IA
i went to the game in 2004. after the way i was treated, i will never go back. they even charged me double for parking because i was wearing a ISU shirt

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
You got it... Until we can stop being jerks they won't.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Just saying it's comparable. I have a feeling they would still do that even if we gave them a red carpet treatment.

Heck I got heckled at a bar in Fonda last night for wearing my ISU stuff by an Iowa fan. Seriously, they will never stop. You can only hope for them to cool it alittle.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
I am from Iowa City and have made the trek down to Iowa City many times for the ISU / Iowa game.

If you are headed down to IC early on Friday to soak up the sights, be smart and don't wear ISU garb around. It has caused problems for me in the past and I learned early not to.

Here are some of my favorite "campus classic" places to hang out:

• The Airliner
  • Pagliai's Pizza
  • Great Midwestern Ice Cream
  • Wig & Pen
If you are headed over just to the game, make sure that you are in a group of ISU fans or with Hawkeye fans you are familiar with or known to be emotionally stable and can handle alcohol. If you have ISU marks on your car, I would suggest that you park away from the stadium and take the free Cambus to the game. As the rivalry has picked up over the past few years and the increase of "Chicago" attitude, the tension at games has increased. I have had beer cans thrown at me and been yelled at by many of the under 30 crowd. Most of the older Hawkeye fans are kind and good sports.

The most fun is hanging out on the ped mall after and ISU win. The Hawkeye fans get tuckered out early when they lose, and the crowds are much more manageble.

That being said, the Iowa State game in Iowa City is the ONLY reason I have to motivate me to spend time there. I grew up there, and really have no compelling reason to visit other than supporting ISU.

Last edited:

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Gas to Iowa City: $50
Tickets to the game: $65
Watching Ferentz try to cover this loss like a legal issue: Priceless

There are some things money can't buy, like an ethical football coach, but for everything else, there's MasterCard.

If only I could fit that in a sign...

new unused tigerhawk logo: $650,000
Kinnick upgrade: $50 million
Most overpaid coach: $3 million/year
Owning all of the above: PRICELESS

*actual values may be off some.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I went to IC in 2006 and don't plan to go back this year or anytime soon. We didn't have tickets but just went to tailgate. Never again. I hate the Iowa campus, or should i say parking garage, and IC is just set up horribly. I don't like getting getting **** thrown at me either. The only way I go back is if I have tickets from now on.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron