Does Allan Lazard belong on the ISU FB mount Rushmore?

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
In my opinion, Yes. He is one of the best and one of the best ambassadors. My hope is he is the foundation for CMC that Troy was for underpinning the McCarney era. I guess we'll see on the culture change, but it doesn't happen without him.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Probably. 4 year starter who will hold most of the significant receiving records. He is the best receiver to play for ISU. Does that mean he is in our Mt Rushmore?

Reactions: DurangoCy

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
If we are limiting it to 4 people, no. Can you honestly say he is one of the 4 most famous or influential ISU athletes/coaches/announcers in the history of the school?

I love what he's done here, and agree he is a great ambassador, but I don't think he's on that final 4.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Lanning will forever be part of Cyclone Lore. Right up there with the Dirty 30 in my opinion. I had a hard time with not putting both Lazard and Lanning in this conversation. Great LB, good QB, great cyclone no doubt, but weird to have a "utility player" on Mt rushmore. But for the pure love of all thing Cyclones he would have a place there as well if I were deciding today.

Reactions: NWICY

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
These things are better to think about a few years down the road. He's an all time great for sure.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
He is to Cyclone football, what Georges Niang was to the renewal of Cyclone basketball.

Pivotal player, outspoken leader, high character, loyal to the core.

Campbell could not go wrong if he had a Lazard and Lanning in every class.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
If we are limiting it to 4 people, no. Can you honestly say he is one of the 4 most famous or influential ISU athletes/coaches/announcers in the history of the school?

I love what he's done here, and agree he is a great ambassador, but I don't think he's on that final 4.

Just for fun, what 4 players belong in front of him? TD, Hayward? I'm not much help with 1972, but Allan's decision to come here combined with what he was able to fight through adn accomplish. I'd put him there.

Remember I said ISU FB.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Just for fun, what 4 players belong in front of him? TD, Hayward? I'm not much help with 1972, but Allan's decision to come here combined with what he was able to fight through adn accomplish. I'd put him there.

Remember I said ISU FB.

I missed the ISU FB, which makes your case a lot stronger. So I definitely think he could be in the conversation.

I think I would go with Troy Davis, George Amundson (Big 8 player of the year, first round draft pick), Seneca Wallace (he is one of the most famous if nothing else and still holds his place in lore, but I am probably affected by my age), and the fourth would be the tough one: Pop Warner (for who he became?), Dan McCarney (he clearly is an important piece of the history),Dave Hopmann? (first team all-american in the early 60s), others?, Lazard definitely is in this conversation. I hope that in 5 years we can talk about Matt Campbell being a sure fire member of the 4.

Nothing at all against Lazard. He is definitely one of the all time greats, and I wouldn't have responded as I did if I caught that it was just football; that's on me.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
1. Ed Bock - College Football Hall of Fame
2. Troy Davis - College Football Hall of Fame
3. George Amundson - Heisman vote-getter (7th)
4. Dwight Nichols - Heisman vote-getter (8th)

• Disagree
Reactions: SoapyCy

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
1. Ed Bock - College Football Hall of Fame
2. Troy Davis - College Football Hall of Fame
3. George Amundson - Heisman vote-getter (7th)
4. Dwight Nichols - Heisman vote-getter (8th)

Good list, Nichols might be the only one you could make the case for Allen over, but they're all good.