Iowa Football Recruiting

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
You've cherry-picked one metric to try and support a theory that Iowa has gotten better over the years. You haven't taken into account any other metrics such as SOS, home/away, and also when you average out small sample sizes you are allowing for outliers to completely sway your data.

Also, what may have occurred within the past 5-8 years that increased their win totals. Surely it wouldn't have anything to do with adding Rutgers, Maryland and Nebraska-- 3 schools that have been total dog **** over that time period.

But good try.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
You've cherry-picked one metric to try and support a theory that Iowa has gotten better over the years. You haven't taken into account any other metrics such as SOS, home/away, and also when you average out small sample sizes you are allowing for outliers to completely sway your data.

Also, what may have occurred within the past 5-8 years that increased their win totals. Surely it wouldn't have anything to do with adding Rutgers, Maryland and Nebraska-- 3 schools that have been total dog **** over that time period.

But good try.

So are you willing to admit Iowa State has been dog**** the past 5-8 years? Because without looking it up, I would guess that all three of those schools have similar or better records than Iowa State in that timeframe.

• Agree
Reactions: breck53

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So are you willing to admit Iowa State has been dog**** the past 5-8 years? Because without looking it up, I would guess that all three of those schools have similar or better records than Iowa State in that timeframe.

Iowa State was terrible pre-CMC

• Agree

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Yes, Iowa State has been, by and large, awful over the course of the past 5-8 years. However, we've been a consistent in Iowa's schedule. One could argue that the uptick in wins per year that was cited earlier over that time period is benefiting from a bad schedule, exacerbated by including 3 new bad teams in the conference.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
The 5-8 seasons-ago range was the best part, ISU won 24 games including one bowl during that time.

Years 1-4 ago? Absolute garbage, no contest.

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
Yes, Iowa State has been, by and large, awful over the course of the past 5-8 years. However, we've been a consistent in Iowa's schedule. One could argue that the uptick in wins per year that was cited earlier over that time period is benefiting from a bad schedule, exacerbated by including 3 new bad teams in the conference.

Well, no, it couldn’t be argued. Because Iowa has played Rutgers once and Maryland twice in that eight year period. And Nebraska averaged 9.5 wins the first five years of your selected timeframe.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Well, no, it couldn’t be argued. Because Iowa has played Rutgers once and Maryland twice in that eight year period. And Nebraska averaged 9.5 wins the first five years of your selected timeframe.

Go back to my original point. You can't look at wins/year as a viable metric for a program's growth. If you don't think playing in the Big 10 West has played a role in Iowa's win total improvement over the last 3-5 years you are crazy. It has maximized your exposure to Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota and lately Nebraska. You've minimized your exposure to Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan and Michigan State. That is undoubtedly to Iowa's benefit and a part of their success.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

TerryHoitz

Oct 5, 2015
I'm not sure you understand the way statistics work.

But good try.
Look back at the post I was replying to. I used those numbers to show that in recent history, Iowa has averaged better than a 7-5 record. I'm not sure what you're trying to argue?

They need all the help they can get to reach their annual 7-5 record, with a blowout loss in the bowl game.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I agree but if you are going to transfer, wouldn't you want to go to a winner like Wisconsin or an up in coming program with an exciting new coach? Going to Iowa, you know that you will play for a very boring team and get 4 to 6 wins over the next year or two and potentially play in a mediocre bowl game. That's a pretty hard sell.
Do you even try to be clever? At least CyTwins is creative and sometimes funny.

I literally roll my eyes at every one of your posts.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Do you even try to be clever. At least CyTwins is creative and sometimes funny.

I literally roll my eyes at every one of your posts.

Did Iowa get any good OL recruits in this class? I know that's been a problem with them lately and they missed out on Downing who they rolled the red carpet out for

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Did Iowa get any good OL recruits in this class? I know that's been a problem with them lately and they missed out on Downing who they rolled the red carpet out for
OL recruiting hasn't been a problem lately......clever post though :D

TerryHoitz

Oct 5, 2015
4 star Jeff Jenkins out of Illinois.
Beat home state Wisconsin out for Jack Plumb (NFL Pedigree).
Cody Ince was a bit under the radar, but his recruiting started to pick up right before he committed to Iowa.

Would probably take one more if it's the right fit.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
4 star Jeff Jenkins out of Illinois.
Beat home state Wisconsin out for Jack Plumb (NFL Pedigree).
Cody Ince was a bit under the radar, but his recruiting started to pick up right before he committed to Iowa.

Would probably take one more if it's the right fit.

Jenkins really had a weak offer list. I know losing out on Downing really hurt you guys

• Disagree

TerryHoitz

Oct 5, 2015
Jenkins really had a weak offer list. I know losing out on Downing really hurt you guys
Jenkins got the offer he wanted and committed early. He completely shut his recruiting down after that. All he did is go out and earn a 4th star.

Wish we landed Downing, but he is just the 4th best player in the state. I think Ince, Jenkins and Plumb are good pieces to go along with Wirfs (Army All American) and Kallenberger (4star) from 2017. As well as Miller and Endres (both 4 stars) in 2019.