I thought he was talking about this guy:
mnworuy6kfaykuvad6qf.jpg
No. He was a professor of archeology.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Personal finance was never taught to us, but I think it was assumed that our parents would instruct us in that.

I hated how history was taught. Dates and names, dates and names. The "why" was never taught. I hated history for that reason. I had to develop my current love of history much later in life when I took the time to appreciate the reasons behind everything.

Amen! Sadly and thankfully my government teacher was awesome and did a great job of helping you to relate to what was being taught and why it was important. He also taught us a lot on how to not get in trouble with the police and how to get out of tickets.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I am a high school Business teacher. We have kids who don't know how to type because the 4th grade teachers who are supposed to teach them don't know how to teach them how to properly type...so they just don't. 15 year old freshman who type at 15-20wpm.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
I am a high school Business teacher. We have kids who don't know how to type because the 4th grade teachers who are supposed to teach them don't know how to teach them how to properly type...so they just don't. 15 year old freshman who type at 15-20wpm.
Really? I figure with all of the devices these days the kids would be able to type at an earlier age than HS. Or maybe they're just able to type with their thumbs on a phone or tablet.

• Agree
Reactions: Farnsworth

Cyfan4good

Jul 7, 2009
Ankeny
I went to a small rural HS, 90 total students. Didn't do any research papers there and learned the hard way in college that I had no idea how to properly write and give credit to sources.
Many other examples of how my HS didn't prepare me for college but you get the idea.

I've noticed on this board and in numerous other documents I reviewed while still working, at some point in education "then and "than" became interchangeable.?.

Also, "not that good of a" drives me crazy. It that taught or just tolerated these days?

I guess the dumbing down of the English language in general just bothers me.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Some things that I struggled learning on my own that would have been very beneficial for me to learn in school: Financial management, understanding credit, how to pay taxes, communication skills, Social media/digital etiquette, coding and survival skills/basic first aid.

I also think that the education system is doing a very poor job steering kids towards a professions that are in demand. This NYT article does a good job describing the disconnect between perception and in-demand careers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/...dustry-careers.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Sorry, this really has nothing to do with the original question here, but honestly, I'm starting to believe those theorists who say that we live in nothing more than a computer simulation. I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, I have been for most of my life. I don't see or hear a lot of "The Wall" references thrown out much anymore, that I'm not specifically seeking out. Jsut saying that because being a big fan, my day is usually filled with one PF song or two at the least and I'm pretty up on their lyrics.

But over the last three days, it's been strange. My kids, out of the blue, asked me to Put the Wall on their phones, they love that song, "We don't need no education." I heard a couple other references at the grocery store on Wednesday, but the strangest was at my daughter's volleyball game last night when I went to get a bottle of water and two volunteers, elderly gentlemen, were talking about something I didn't hear the start of, but both started with, "What was it again?" Then both sang, "We don't need no education. We don't need no thought control." Then started laughing.

So yeah, I see this thread title and think, "What the hell is going on?" I picture some nerdy kid, sitting at his computer, with his headphones on, listening to The Wall and then deciding to go ahead and interject it into his game. I haven't heard those lines spoken out loud, by the general public, in years, but the song has constantly been in my head now for the last 3 days.

• Informative
Reactions: wxman1

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
My physics class was also mostly a waste. Our teacher was a nice Vietnamese man who didn't speak great English and was terrible at controlling the class. You would think a bunch of nerds taking physics in high school would be better behaved but he spent a good portion of the class just trying to get people to pay attention. The back few rows spent their times playing games on their TI85 caclulators.

I didn't get jack out of that class and didn't do well in physics at ISU either.

Hey, I take offense as I was one of those kids. Drug wars FTW. And then the connecting cable came and you could play two player tetris with your neighbor!

fwiw our high school was beyond terrible at teaching anything, small town iowa, always taught to the lowest common denominator so if you had half a brain you could ace all the tests. I had a rude awakening when I got to ISU how much our math and science classes were terrible.

RunninMan

Nov 18, 2013
Sorry, this really has nothing to do with the original question here, but honestly, I'm starting to believe those theorists who say that we live in nothing more than a computer simulation. I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, I have been for most of my life. I don't see or hear a lot of "The Wall" references thrown out much anymore, that I'm not specifically seeking out. Jsut saying that because being a big fan, my day is usually filled with one PF song or two at the least and I'm pretty up on their lyrics.

But over the last three days, it's been strange. My kids, out of the blue, asked me to Put the Wall on their phones, they love that song, "We don't need no education." I heard a couple other references at the grocery store on Wednesday, but the strangest was at my daughter's volleyball game last night when I went to get a bottle of water and two volunteers, elderly gentlemen, were talking about something I didn't hear the start of, but both started with, "What was it again?" Then both sang, "We don't need no education. We don't need no thought control." Then started laughing.

So yeah, I see this thread title and think, "What the hell is going on?" I picture some nerdy kid, sitting at his computer, with his headphones on, listening to The Wall and then deciding to go ahead and interject it into his game. I haven't heard those lines spoken out loud, by the general public, in years, but the song has constantly been in my head now for the last 3 days.

There's a name for that. Interestingly enough, when I first learned that there was actually a name for it I then heard it referenced again that same day after never hearing it before in my life. Weird.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/baader-meinhof-phenomenon.htm

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Really? I figure with all of the devices these days the kids would be able to type at an earlier age than HS. Or maybe they're just able to type with their thumbs on a phone or tablet.
More so this. We have advisory meetings where we invite business men and women from the community to give input and some guy suggested we drop keyboarding all together. "Everything will be automated or text to speech. Plus I can do everything on my phone." I laughed audibly and I think I upset him. My wife is a CPA and there is no way should could do her job without a keyboard. It would waste so much time trying to type up a report on a phone or text to speech and I think it's incredible people don't value the skill of being able to type proficiently and with speed.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I went to a small rural HS, 90 total students. Didn't do any research papers there and learned the hard way in college that I had no idea how to properly write and give credit to sources.
Many other examples of how my HS didn't prepare me for college but you get the idea.

This is a great example. My HS (maybe 120 total kids) was horrible about college prep. They were ok with subject matter for most subjects (except history like I mentioned earlier), but they were horrible when it came to constructing a good research paper. I think they assumed that if they could tell that you didn't plagiarize something verbatim, you were better than 70% of the class.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
fwiw our high school was beyond terrible at teaching anything, small town iowa, always taught to the lowest common denominator so if you had half a brain you could ace all the tests. I had a rude awakening when I got to ISU how much our math and science classes were terrible.

I think that was pretty common and probably still is. My Mom doesn't remember me bringing home a book in high school and I skated to a 3.7 GPA. Halfway through my second semester at ISU when I was barely passing half of my classes I realized I had a lot to figure out in a hurry.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think that was pretty common and probably still is. My Mom doesn't remember me bringing home a book in high school and I skated to a 3.7 GPA. Halfway through my second semester at ISU when I was barely passing half of my classes I realized I had a lot to figure out in a hurry.

Exactly. My wife and I were talking about this a few nights ago and she doesn't believe me when I say I never had a day with homework throughout high school. We had block scheduling so the teachers didn't have enough material to fill the hour and a half so you could get everything done at the end of the period. We would crowd source homework and then share with each other, so we could then goof off (see Drug Wars reference). The teacher knew we were doing it, and said she would let it slide and she'd have the last laugh when we all do bad on our tests. The little cocky ahole I was said something snarky about 'ya let's see about that'. Took the test, 100% plus whatever the extra credit was.

I graduated high school with over a 4.0 as I took a few AP classes that were graded on a 5.0 scale, and then about died that first semester at ISU.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008

I've noticed on this board and in numerous other documents I reviewed while still working, at some point in education "then and "than" became interchangeable.?.

Also, "not that good of a" drives me crazy. It that taught or just tolerated these days?

I guess the dumbing down of the English language in general just bothers me.
My college roommate from Story City had his mother write his college papers because he didn't know how to write a report. He would give her his class notes, the report requirements, and she would write the damn thing for him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron