Friday OT #2 - We Don't Need No Education

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Geometry wasn't really my thing. Terrible teacher.

I agree that learning the why's of history makes it much more interesting

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Such much longtime ago for high school! I think my high school was pretty decent, maybe stronger in social studies and history and such than math, physics and chemisty and all but that might just be because I was good I social studies and weak in science.

I did recognize some years later what some teachers were trying to introduce us to in small town Iowa. Mrs. Hanson and all of her Shakespeare and all and then throwing in some movies. Good lord, she showed us The Magnificent Ambersons, guess she couldn't get Citizen Kane. Mr. Welman had us doing 1984 as our theater presentation one year.

Odd thing I wish I had taken seriously was typing. Yup, had one semester of typing. Little sis was in the class and she got an A (she literally got an A in everything as her class valedictorian). Seventeen year old me just goofed off through the whole semester for a C. Who would have thought that typing would be a useful skill when all of the desktop computers showed up at work.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I had two completely failed science classes in high school.

My biology teacher was a complete dope. He didn't teach us anything. Most people get to dissect things in bio, but we never got to it.

The teacher spent as much time trying to flirt with the cheerleading coach as he did actually teaching us anything.

At the end of the year we spent a few weeks literally cramming for the end of year standardized bio test.

My physics class was also mostly a waste. Our teacher was a nice Vietnamese man who didn't speak great English and was terrible at controlling the class. You would think a bunch of nerds taking physics in high school would be better behaved but he spent a good portion of the class just trying to get people to pay attention. The back few rows spent their times playing games on their TI85 caclulators.

I didn't get jack out of that class and didn't do well in physics at ISU either.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
They needed it or they would have only had WWII. Think how confusing it would have been to have WWII and no WWI.

Both wars may never have happened if it weren't for Gavriolo Princip....right place and right time in Sarajevo.

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
Personal finance was never taught to us, but I think it was assumed that our parents would instruct us in that.

I hated how history was taught. Dates and names, dates and names. The "why" was never taught. I hated history for that reason. I had to develop my current love of history much later in life when I took the time to appreciate the reasons behind everything.

You hit this on the nail. It's the very reason I really didn't enjoy history class in grade school. I learned more from the History channel show 'America: the story of us' than all of my American history classes.

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
I had this great Chemistry class in hs where your entire grade was based off passing 50 or so quizzes spread out through the year. You could take them as many times as you want, all you had to do was pass it.

I wish more classes were like that, because I feel like that's how the real world is. You work at something over and over until you get it. Versus just getting one shot at something.

Reactions: skibumspe

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Jumped into a Chem 1 class (not principles of) in college at UNI without ever taking chemistry in High school (small private HS, not offered). Big mistake.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Boy this reminds me of a doozy. If any of my HS classmates are on here, they'll know it by this story. My US History teacher did not teach AT ALL. All of our exams were open book, take at your own pace. He never taught a single word the entire year. Each period he would pass out exams you hadn't finished on previous days and you'd work on them by going through the textbook. Then, he'd turn on a "historic" movie including the likes of Dave and Independence Day.

I realized after college that I couldn't even name the decade of the Civil War or Vietnam. I since decided to read one book about each major war in sequence starting with the Revolution. I've since become a lover of US History. What a scam that class was...

Yea, and us focusing on Standards and moving away from multiple choice exams and percentage based grading is the ******* problem.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I didn't realize you were that old.

I thought he was talking about this guy:
mnworuy6kfaykuvad6qf.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Showtimeljs

Jul 2, 2015
Huxley
I only went to kindergarten before I skipped directly to college. In kindergarten, I learned that you get in trouble if you don't color all the bears on your sheet. And no, they can't just be white because they are polar bears. That's when I first learned that it is wrong to be white. So overall it was a pretty complete year of education.