Friday OT #2 - We Don't Need No Education

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Angie, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Angie

Angie Tugboats and arson.
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Female
    IT
    IA
    Ratings:
    +5,868 / 92 / -0
    Thanks to @MeanDean for this one! As he explained, I'll ask the question at a high level, and then give an example to demonstrate what it means.

Educational gaps. These are topics or possibly even subjects that your educational system failed to cover during your elementary, Junior High and High School years.

Due to some oddities in our math teacher lineup and me being a year ahead of my classmates in math, our geometry teacher was just the shop teacher learning as he went for one year. As such, I never learned trig that year.

We never learned how to balance checkbooks, which I feel is a basic skill we should have learned.

What have you got?

• Like Like x 1
  2. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    Ratings:
    +3,266 / 258 / -3
    I feel like driver's education is really letting people down every time I see someone on the side of the road trying to change a tire. If I'm not on a schedule, I'll normally stop and help out (have a better jack than the one most vehicles come with and have an impact wrench in my truck). The number of people who can't figure out something so basic is mind boggling.

I also feel like even the most basic math is rocket science when I see someone perusing a sale rack. 10% off shouldn't take any time to figure out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  3. CtownCyclone

CtownCyclone A lean, mean, fighting machine
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Jan 20, 2010
    Male
    Project Manager
    Where they love the governor
    Ratings:
    +5,173 / 72 / -2
    I took AP Chemistry in high school. Our teacher didn't come back after Christmas break. So we got the a retired PE teacher who would sub when needed. Before break, we were talking about the quantum-mechanical model of the atom. After break, we were talking about the Bohr model.

Yeah, didn't pass that particular AP test.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cyclone.TV

Cyclone.TV Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Ratings:
    +2,221 / 222 / -31
    Wait people still balance a checkbook?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. EnhancedFujita

EnhancedFujita Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Male
    Johnston
    Ratings:
    +1,089 / 9 / -0
    American History. We spent a lot of time on colonialism up to the civil war, then spent like 2 weeks rushing through reconstruction, ww1, great depression, and a little bit of ww2. Never even got into post ww2, JFK assassination, space race or any of that.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. KnappShack

KnappShack Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    Ratings:
    +8,017 / 276 / -9
    What's a checkbook?

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. Sighclone Fan

Sighclone Fan Active Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Male
    Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -0
    How to manage money and simple investing principles.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. urb1

urb1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Urbandale
    Ratings:
    +973 / 30 / -0
    Our family moved in third grade hallway through the year. The class I left was going to teach state capitals in the spring. The class where I ended up had already taught state capitals in the fall. I never learned state capitals.

I had no idea where Des Moines was when my dad told us we were moving there from the Detroit metro my freshman year in high school.

• Like Like x 2
  9. MeanDean

MeanDean Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Male
    Retired Civil Engineer
    Clarence IA-Jensen Beach FL
    Ratings:
    +5,088 / 25 / -0
    My two that I gave to Angie for the examples were:

You know how every school kid had to dissect a frog in Biology? We didn't do that. Not even a worm. I know I took Biology as a freshman but have no idea why we didn't do that.

The other is Shakespeare. I had 13 years of education prior to college and never read or studied a word of Shakespeare. Like others have experienced this could have been due to the fact I moved between Sophomore and Junior year. I suspect the school I moved from did Shakespeare Junior Year and the school I moved to must have covered it in Sophomore year.

When the topic is a category on Jeopardy I always groan a little bit inside. Not Opera or Poetry groan, but a groan.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jcyclonee

jcyclonee Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Ratings:
    +15,299 / 326 / -3
    In third or forth grade, maybe both, we used to have writing class which basically consisted of us writing in cursive. Also, all reports we turned in for any subject needed to be written in cursive. To this day, my cursive writing is very neat but my printing sucks. A lot of good the cursive thing does me.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MeanDean

Jan 5, 2009
    Male
    Retired Civil Engineer
    Ratings:
    +5,088 / 25 / -0
    I don't remember specifically learning how to balance a checkbook. But I did learn addition and subtraction. That's pretty much all it is.

And no, I haven't balanced my check book for over 10 years or more.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MeanDean

Jan 5, 2009
    Male
    Retired Civil Engineer
    Ratings:
    +5,088 / 25 / -0
    Think of it as a secret language that your kids can't decipher. Waaay cool!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Female
    public sector
    Central Iowa
    Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -0
    In 5th grade, NJ public schools were required to teach the original version of "modern math". (yes, I am that old, ahem!) I had a classmate that had emotional problems (rages, hitting, throwing desks) and at that time, kids were only given time outs in the hall way. So his outbursts then expanded to pulling alarms, etc. My math teacher had a nervous breakdown and the rest of the school year was a continuous rotation of subs or the principal to teach math and none of them knew the curriculum. I still have friends who ask me-didn't you learn that in elementary school? No!

14. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Male
    Engineer
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +6,240 / 219 / -8
    The more I dive into history, the more I realized how much was not taught. For example, I never once heard Nikola Tesla's name ever uttered in school. Took me a long time to understand how significant his life's work was.

• Agree Agree x 10
  15. coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    Ratings:
    +14,828 / 178 / -0
    Personal finance was never taught to us, but I think it was assumed that our parents would instruct us in that.

I hated how history was taught. Dates and names, dates and names. The "why" was never taught. I hated history for that reason. I had to develop my current love of history much later in life when I took the time to appreciate the reasons behind everything.

• Agree Agree x 11
  16. kevdiv48

kevdiv48 Active Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Houston
    Ratings:
    +81 / 5 / -0
    I moved a couple of times growing up and never ending up doing D.A.R.E.. (Is it still a thing?)

• Like Like x 2
  17. WooBadger18

WooBadger18 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    On Wisconsin
    Ratings:
    +4,468 / 134 / -1
    #17 WooBadger18, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    So you know how teachers were always like, "when you're older you'll need to write in cursive so you need to learn how?" Being the gullible and innocent student that I was, I believed them. So now, with the exception of a few capital letters, I only write in cursive.

I also thought that cursive connected words not just letters in words, so for a few days in 3rd grade (edit: maybe 2nd grade?) my sentences were Aquickbrownfoxjumpsoverthelazydog

I don't think so because they found out it actually increased drug use among students, and my school didn't have it either

• Like Like x 2
  18. jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Ratings:
    +15,299 / 326 / -3
    He's not that important. There were way better heavy metal bands in the 80's and 90's.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  19. oldman

oldman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,195 / 37 / -0
    I went to school when a brontosaurus was a real dinosaur. Later it was discovered that it had the wrong head.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Ratings:
    +15,299 / 326 / -3
    We still have it in MN.