*** Official Emporia St. Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Public Service Announcement:

If the fan in section 210, row 11 is reading this thread you might want to look at the schedule and realize we played an exhibition game that didn't count tonight. You were getting WAAAAYYYYYYYY to worked up and frustrated in the first 5 minutes of that game.

On a positive note my wife thanks you for leaving 7 minutes into the game so she could actually enjoy the game without all your negative commentary.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
This team will build fundamentals and mentality throughout the year, but the shooting probably is what it is. Hopefully Weiler-Babb, Beverly, Lewis and maybe the bigs can chip in a little from outside once the little things get hammered down. Wigginton will have better shooting games. Gotta improve quick so we aren't ambushed by LeBron 2.0.

• Informative
Reactions: codyaston

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I didn't get a chance to see the game. The box score had a couple notables. Wigg was 0-5 from 3's. Solo only scored 4 points and only had 1 rebound and had 4 fouls. The rest of the numbers seemed OK.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
We’re going to rip our hair out watching this team. There will be a decent number of should have/could have games this season, but that’s to be expected, right?

We have a loooong way to go before we start exacting our will on good teams, but you can look at these new guys and project the type of players they’ll be by the end of the season and beyond.

You can look at our returning guys and see that they’re speaking and acting differently than last year, due to their new leadership roles.

The road to hell is paved with missed free throws and bungled defensive rotations, and I for one am excited as hell to watch it all unfold.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I didn't get a chance to see the game. The box score had a couple notables. Wigg was 0-5 from 3's. Solo only scored 4 points and only had 1 rebound and had 4 fouls. The rest of the numbers seemed OK.
I don’t think you will see that too much from Wigginton. Solomon staying out of foul touble will be key once again this year.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I don’t think you will see that too much from Wigginton. Solomon staying out of foul touble will be key once again this year.
I don’t know how critical Young will be, but that’s because I’m hoping Brase, Lard and Beverly will provide good minutes.

These types of games aren’t where guys like Young shine. He may not be ready to take the next step, but he’ll play winning basketball.

Talley looked a little like Bowie from last year.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

LW had 2 of the 3's that just spun out. Those drop and totally different look to his line.

Solo looked active and comfortable. Unfortunately had the foul issues which limited his numbers.

As for the outside shooting out side of D-Jax everyone struggled but we need to remember this is the first game infront of fans for many of the players. Not to surprised they weren't hitting from deep. I assume that improve as they get use to Hilton. Also Lewis sitting hurt the outside shooting. If he can be the 3rd deep threat it would raise the floor of the team. Brase too to a lesser degree.

I don't want to draw any conclusions from this game as Prohm was down 3 rotation players. It was an uneven effort and the team is still learning to play together. There is talent on the roster the main question is how long will it take for everyone get set in their roles? Hopefully by December as opposed to February but we'll see.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
i didn't check, how many players did K state have sitting again?
K-State had a couple bigs sitting but neither an expected 'contributor.' Dean Wade had 20 and 10 in a little over 20 minutes. It was Emporia's first game, State's third, and that was more than a little apparent. I wouldn't take anything from the comparative, zero.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Beverly and Young need to learn to guard without fouling in the post. Granted, we have some more options there this year, but that has been a problem so far.

• Agree

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I predict that we'll see just how good of a coach is this year. Think we'll be playing much better by Feb and March but it may take a while for all these guys to get the program.

• Agree

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I still think they can sneak in. There’s talent and potential. Just need coaching and to gel together. They will for sure start out slow.

I think it's great to "expect" a tournament team now at ISU - don't get me wrong, I want us to become the next Duke or UNC - but Oklahoma went from the Final Four to 11-20 last season and they might have had more returning than we do this year.

I'm certainly not going into this season with any guesses as to how it will end. The only thing that I won't accept is lack of effort or lack of growth. We can have 8 wins this year or go to the Sweet 16 (or further). This is a rebuilding year and having zero expectations is kind of fun, especially if things come together.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I think we’ll be a lot less rusty looking Friday against Mizzou.

They will probably have more talent than us at most spots on the court, but I think our guys will rise to the challenge of playing a hyped up opponent.

• Optimistic

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well tonight's game certainly left room for growth and improvement. Both Prohm and DJ commented in the postgame show about playing a more team orientated offense. They did it at Nebraska it sounded like according to Prohm but then forgot to once the lights got turned on for real.

Lots of room to improve, but I've got faith that Prohm will do that with them as the season progresses.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I do have a legitimate gripe in regards to the parking situation.

Why the hell do I need a permit to park across the street in the Jack Trice parking lot this year?!?!?!?!

That has always been my go to parking spot because I hate parking in the Hilton lots (despite having a parking pass).

• Agree
Reactions: ClonesFTW