Coach Campbell

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Failed? The opposite.
In regards to KJ and Cael you don’t break your budget around paying associates in non-revenue generating departments. Thank goodness he didn’t overpay for two coaches in sports that don’t make money. We wouldn’t have a chance to retain quality MBB and FB coaches with dumb ass moves like that.

In regards to Fred the pay isn’t the issue when the associate leaves for a position you don’t have at the company.

Breaking the bank to support non-revenue sports is about as smart as trying to bring back baseball.

Football >>>>men's basketball>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>every other sport.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan94

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Then there is literally nothing we can do. Might as well enjoy the ride right?

There is literally nothing anybody on this board can do. We should absolutely be enjoying the ride here.

As for those that say, well another school and fire you on a whim, why wouldn't you stay here? Because we can fire guys too. Let's not forget, we signed Rhoads to a 10 year deal. Basically 3 years later we all regretted it.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
With this issue, things are a lot different now than 8-9 years ago, and there is one big complicating factor that scares me related to keeping Campbell in the short term.

As I stated in other posts in related threads, we expect to get over $5 million more per year from the Big 12 starting next year from the playoff and other reasons. JP has invested plenty in the non-revenue sports with the gains from the prior 5-7 years. IMO, he needs to spend the new $5 million on football. In addition, with more wins, the days of cheap tickets in Jack Trice will be over both current discount tickets and the price of regular season tickets which will easily increase revenue by several million per year.

JP is working on an expansion the Football facility that CMC has requested related to nutrition and an expanded player lounge. I think this is important for CMC and JP is trying to get it designed so they can try and get it done with contributions and debt.

CMC is going to make $2.5+ million this year with incentives and with the new revenue we should have no trouble giving him a package where he sees a $4-$4.5 million a year salary towards the end of a 5-7 years contract. Getting CMC the facility change he wants will be important to him.

The complicating factor that scares me is we don't know the attitude of the new President towards big salaries in the athletic department, even it is money not directly from the University.

People that think we can't afford to pay a top 5 Big 12 salary for CMC and his assistants are wrong, the issue is will someone come in a pay CMC $ 4+ million now based on his career to date. I don't think so, yet....
I agree completely. I get we want/need to have competent non-revenue sports, but the best way to do that is by investing in FB and MBB, particularly in times of potential turning points.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan94

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Two guys in their 30's making between $2MM-$4MM (Riley/Campbell), unbelievable.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Two guys in their 30's making between $2MM-$4MM (Riley/Campbell), unbelievable.
Two guys in their 30’s generating millions is impressive.

If CMC is as good as I think he is, then he’s worth way more than that. He’s worth some of the hundreds of millions of dollars we’ve missed out on by having a brand associated with bad football due to previous decades of not investing in football.

Retaining a coach that can consistently win is important to the University and even state imo. Unfortunately we’re a few decades removed from the State being allowed to directly pay for that.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Literally impossible to match what Cael and KJ got, and ISU is not in the NBA. Pollard is deserving of criticism at times but I don't think this is one.

This is correct. Jamie’s job is to give the coaches the resources to be successful.

There are a lot of places that just flat out have more.

Iowa State fans have never been willing to donate to the levels required to be able to compete in arms races with the upper BCS schools.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
We shouldn't listen to that opinionated assho*e Kirk Herbstreit.

Obviously CF has no control what goes on. Sit back, enjoy this season.

I, for one, believe Campbell is very invested to this program. The way he speaks of the fan base itself tells me a lot. I think JP will do the right thing as well and we won't be worrying about this when the season is over, either.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CycoCyclone

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Iowa State fans have never been willing to donate to the levels required to be able to compete in arms races with the upper BCS schools.

This is ******** statement and you should feel bad for making it. Iowa State football has one of the worst records and history in ALL of college football. For decades, the school has made decisions against the best interests of winning.

ISU fans have more than held up their fair share over the years. With the lack of success, no one would be surprised if the stands looked like Kansas, but we continue to fill the stadium waiting for payback. We've been kicked in the nuts by false hope so many times, there are a lot of people waiting to see if this is real. If it is, you will see fans donate like never before.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
That is sort of true. If it came down to losing CMC and Co, or paying an extra few hundred more, one would think we could do it. If it’s itemized like that, I’d hope I’m one of 30,000 or so that would pay $15 more a game for a good football.

But it’s been less about the common fan not donating enough for the arms race and more about history. If you were passionate about college sports, you were not likely to be an Iowa State fan.

Those passionate fans are often your bigger donors. A lack of big donors is perhaps a demographic composition thing, but it’s also a constituency problem. A lot of people in this state made money in ag or engineering that should be Iowa State fans that either are not passionate about Iowa State sports, or worse, are Iowa donors. In the formative decades of the arms race we were Iowa State College with the State (and therefore state) not caring and not wanting the Cyclones to be supported to an equal level.

I think we’ve made tremendous progress in overcoming the slow start. If CMC were to lead us to several good years in a row, we have a fanbase now that would see revenues go up enough to match the increase in salary.

Last edited:

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Go to a place like Tennessee or Nebraska with unreal expectations and get fired after 3 years or stay at a place like ISU where you can get a statue if you win 8 games a year.

Tough decision.

• Agree
Reactions: Playboi Carti

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
A beloved coach who accomplished some things but had clearly hit a wall is let go. Up-and-coming coach surprisingly comes to Iowa State. Brings a tight group of long time friends with him. Recruiting immediately picks up. Obvious success on the field means staff won't be here long, but it's ok because they've clearly done their job and elevated the program. Guys, I think I have CW's next great click bait article:

"Matt Campbell Is What The Chizik Era Was Supposed To Look Like"

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Keeping CMC and paying him whatever we need to within reason is maybe the single most important decision in the history of ISU athletics the next 5 years..by 2022 we will know if this conference will be around or not and having a successful/winning fball program with greater national exposure will be, without a doubt, a critical factor to maintain our P5 status(p4) status IMO. Having a successful fball program that draws an audience and fans will be critical next 5 years unlike any previous 5 years.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think it's become obvious that we'll have to show our financial commitment to Coach Campbell after the end of this season. I think Travis and Heather had a good discussion on this, outside of some big time power 5 school jobs that won't be open this offseason just who is going to have an opening that is a better job or situation that what he has at ISU right now? I'm hoping that he was sincere when he took this job that he felt ISU was a special place and a sleeping giant. Our fan base has always been loyal and supportive even through some awful years, can only imagine how much better it can get if we can sustain some success. Football is the main money generator for the athletics department so keeping this thing going should be a priority for everyone as if this staff can sustain success through the next several years any raise we give coach Campbell and his staff should hopefully pay for itself in increased revenue from the support the football team will get.

We as fans need to do our part and pack the Jack for these last 2 home games and give this team the home field advantage they deserve. Saw that we still have 10k tickets available for this Saturday, sure hope we that number quickly goes down throughout the week.

• Agree
Reactions: Benny34

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
There is literally nothing anybody on this board can do. We should absolutely be enjoying the ride here.

As for those that say, well another school and fire you on a whim, why wouldn't you stay here? Because we can fire guys too. Let's not forget, we signed Rhoads to a 10 year deal. Basically 3 years later we all regretted it.

There literally is something very important fans can do. Its called Cyclone club. Its already been linked so pony up and make sure our AD has the resources he needs to retain this staff.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa

Rhoads had some great wins against teams that weren't really that great (minus OSU) - 8 turnovers to beat a mediocre at best Nebraska team and then beating a 5-7 Texas team - take those overrated wins + winning with Gene Chizik recruits (yes, basically every player worth a crap in those years were Chizik recruits) and you get the reason we overreacted to Rhoads and gave him a terrible contract and thus went downhill FAST after his players were in his program.

CMC has built this program with HIS players, and it is only year 2 - think of all of the young talent we have that are winning us games. He has had better recruiting classes than Rhoads ever had - and look at the depth he is building with players (especially at the line of scrimmage) - CMC knows how to build a program. The culture and attitude he has established in this team is lunlike any other I've seen at ISU (I only started following in late 90's)

We need to do whatever we can to pay Campbell and his staff to stay - if we can lock him in for the long haul, we can finally have a consistent football team and program to look forward to in the falls.

I did see that we have like 10k tickets available for the game this weekend. Pollard tweeted that out and asked the fans to show up for the players and the coaches. That has to be a subliminal message. If we can't fill the stadium this weekend, make bigger donations and show even more support, Pollard can only do so much.

CMC could be our Bill Snyder and we need to ALL to what we can to keep him here for years and years.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Two guys in their 30’s generating millions is impressive.

If CMC is as good as I think he is, then he’s worth way more than that. He’s worth some of the hundreds of millions of dollars we’ve missed out on by having a brand associated with bad football due to previous decades of not investing in football.

Retaining a coach that can consistently win is important to the University and even state imo. Unfortunately we’re a few decades removed from the State being allowed to directly pay for that.
I was not disputing worth or not. I'm just trying to wrap my head around that kind of money. I'm in my mid 30's too and it's going to take me lifetime to make that kind of money. Good for them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron