Well, ranking the conference got harder or not?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
  1. TCU - they may run the table
  2. oSu - can't tell you why
  3. OU - face plant in Norman
  4. UT - prove it at the fair
  5. WVU - just look the part
  6. ISU - transitional win
  7. TxT - maybe too low or too high
  8. K-State - problems everywhere
  9. Baylor - it's a coin flip
  10. Ku - see ^^^

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Is TCU the Big 12's only remaining chance for the playoff? They just don't look all that great to me for some reason?

OU is still the most talented team IMO. I can't believe what a poor game plan they had yesterday against us, but I loved it. I feel like they could've ran it down our throats all day long, but it was like they wanted to inflate Mayfield's numbers for the Heisman instead, so they kept passing, passing, and passing.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Is TCU the Big 12's only remaining chance for the playoff? They just don't look all that great to me for some reason?

OU is still the most talented team IMO. I can't believe what a poor game plan they had yesterday against us, but I loved it. I feel like they could've ran it down our throats all day long, but it was like they wanted to inflate Mayfield's numbers for the Heisman instead, so they kept passing, passing, and passing.

I really don't think OU is done. The CCG may help them get over this loss. I could easily see either the Big Ten or Pac12 champ having 2 losses.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I really don't think OU is done. The CCG may help them get over this loss. I could easily see either the Big Ten or Pac12 champ having 2 losses.

It's a lot tougher when your one loss is to ISU though, let's be honest. Okie St has a loss right now too, but it's to TCU, not ISU. OU has a lot to overcome and needs a lot of help IMO with other top teams losing a couple games.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
  10. Ku - see ^^^

Reasonably accurate. Where Iowa State lands in the mix can depend on where we place Texas (so far, UT's resume seems the most erratic of any conference team)..

I'll say:
1. TCU
2. Oklahoma State
3. Oklahoma
4. Texas
5. Texas Tech
6. Iowa State
7. West Virginia
8. Kansas State
9. Baylor
10. Kansas

Fun thought: As of this week, ISU has the highest-quality league win, against a Big 12 team with the biggest non-conference win.

• Informative
Reactions: Omaha Cy

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
1. TCU
2. OSU
3. OU
4. Tech
5. WVU
6. Texas
7. ISU
8. KSU
9. Baylor
10. KU

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
It's a lot tougher when your one loss is to ISU though, let's be honest. Okie St has a loss right now too, but it's to TCU, not ISU. OU has a lot to overcome and needs a lot of help IMO with other top teams losing a couple games.

If OU runs the table with wins over TCU (2x?), UT, and OSU I think they're back in the discussion. Looking at the other conferences, I see the ACC and SEC having two spots essentially locked. The PAC12 could if someone gets through that with 1 loss, but I wouldn't put money on that happening. The only undefeated left in the Big10 is PSU and they don't look like world beaters. If tOSU wins the conference, I think OU still has a claim over them.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed, but their chances aren't done yet. Clemson lost to Pitt last year.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If tOSU wins the conference, I think OU still has a claim over them.

Aren't you cute. If both teams have 1 loss, Ohio St is in before OU every time. TV Ratings baby.

The excuse would be both "better body of work" and "better quality of loss". Which is super irony since the quality of loss is vs OU! Don't believe it? Ask Penn State for their thoughts on the matter.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I don't have anything real to base it on but I just feel like Okie Lite is not the second best team in conference. Only loss to the 'best' team, so it makes sense. But it just doesn't 'feel' right.

Edit: Oh, and I meant to include OU's loss to ISU will be viewed differently if we win a bunch more games versus finishing under .500.

Last edited:

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
When u got the name and people ($) who want you there they will get every kind of leniency.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
  10. Ku - see ^^^
OSU does seem to remain a wild card. I think they suffered from a weak early schedule, with no real tune-up prior to TCU. They survived at Lubbock against a TxT team that has, on their standards, historically good defense.

I like your comment on UT. The Red River rivalry just got huge within the conference. I think the Longhorn defense might be the best in the nation. But I also think ISU's big win @ OU might be the worst thing to happen for UT on their way to the state fair.

Hmmm ... ISU's holding the Sooners on 4th down to clinch the win yesterday also indicates the Cyclones are yet another team with a defense presence on the rise. KSU's D is also among the conference elite. Could we be entering a new era in the Big 12 where defense rules?

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
TCU will not go unbeaten. I think OU is still the best team in the league. If they go 12-1, I think they still make the playoffs because I think Ohio State will run the table in the B1G.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
TCU will not go unbeaten. I think OU is still the best team in the league. If they go 12-1, I think they still make the playoffs because I think Ohio State will run the table in the B1G.

I disagree. OSU has only played one team with a pulse this year and they lost to that team by 2 TDs. Of course a team like OSU will be 5-1 when their schedule is against Indiana, Army, UNLV, Rutgers, and Maryland. Against that schedule ISU might be 6-0 (cuz hey - we beat OU). We'll find out what OSU is the rest of the way, though - they play at Nebraska, Pedo St, at Iowa, MSU, Illinois, at Michigan. If OSU runs that AND beats Wisky in the championship game they deserve a playoff spot - but I don't think they do. Personally I think it's Pedo St - Wisky again.

• Agree
Reactions: cycophagus

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I'm not enamored with OU's defense or their coaching. The fair is going to be very interesting next week. It's played after they know what happens to the Frogs in Manhattan, which adds even more intrigue to the outcome.

UT found their QB last night. The kid showed a lot of football moxie and leadership. And Texas is as talented otherwise as any of the others, methinks.

Last edited:

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

OU has a win @ Ohio State though. The committee showed they don't care about "quality losses" when they put in Ohio State (lost to a 6-6 Virginia Tech team) over TCU (lost @ 11-1 Baylor in the last minute of the game with several bad pass interference calls going against them in the last few minutes of the game) Oklahoma's loss to us will probably be on par with Ohio State's loss to Virginia Tech that year. If this loss was at the end of the season, I think they'd be out. They have a lot of huge games to get back into the playoff picture. I will be surprised if OU loses again.